26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Rossfan

What a pity they didnt also nominate Marshall or someone from the unionist perspective in the North.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2020, 06:36:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2020, 04:28:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 09:29:17 PM
Why?
The people voted to keep it.

Its called principles or having a position on something. She could have easily said No Thanks but no she is just another money grabbing useless career politician.
How Principled are you ?
If you gave in €10 in a shop and got change of €20 would you hand back the extra?

Yes I would actually.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on June 29, 2020, 10:47:50 PM
Well done to Micheál Martin who had the pleasure of nominating the first Traveller Eileen Flynn to the Senate, one of 11 nominated,
his only non-party political nominee.
'Ms Flynn is a community development worker with the National Traveller Women's Forum.
She is also a human rights activist who has campaigned on several social issues including homelessness; same-sex marriage, abortion and hate crime.The Women's Council of Ireland and Traveller's rights campaign group Pavee Point have both hailed her appointment as "historic".
In a series of tweets after her nomination, Ms Flynn said: "I have worked all my life to break barriers and challenge inequality."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53212504

Reminds me of the black kid in Southpark.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2020, 11:58:30 PM
Well done to Micheál Martin who had the pleasure of nominating the first Traveller Eileen Flynn to the Senate, one of 11 nominated,
'Ms Flynn is a community development worker with the National Traveller Women's Forum.
She is also a human rights activist who has campaigned on several social issues including homelessness; same-sex marriage, abortion and hate crime.The Women's Council of Ireland and Traveller's rights campaign group Pavee Point have both hailed her appointment as "historic".
In a series of tweets after her nomination, Ms Flynn said: "I have worked all my life to break barriers and challenge inequality."

I haven't a clue what that means as I haven't watched any of Southpark, but if you choose to let an American tv cartoon  drama define your social outlook then good luck to you.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2020, 01:26:39 AM

I haven't a clue what that means as I haven't watched any of Southpark, but if you choose to let an American tv cartoon  drama define your social outlook then good luck to you.

The black kid in southpark is called token. I think he is trying to say the nomination of the traveller lady is a token nomination.

Itchy

Southpark is a social satire in many ways, I wouldnt call it a cartoon. But Capt Pat is correct. What has FF or FG ever done for travellers? Nominating one to a useless place like the Seanad is tokenism. 12 men and 4 women at the cabinet table is a much better reflection of the reality of todays government.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on June 30, 2020, 09:50:50 AM

Southpark is a social satire in many ways, I wouldnt call it a cartoon. But Capt Pat is correct. What has FF or FG ever done for travellers? Nominating one to a useless place like the Seanad is tokenism. 12 men and 4 women at the cabinet table is a much better reflection of the reality of todays government.
The fact that the nomination is reported in a very detailed article in the european edition of the BBC world news is significant in itself. In racist Ireland the first Traveller has made it to the Senate.
In the article there are indicators that it's a well deserved merited hard earned nomination   and she will pump it for all its worth.
She herself is more than qualified and "she stood for election to the Seanad earlier this year and very narrowly missed out on a seat. Next time around she has a better chance to get elected herself or/and go fo a Dail seat as well.

The article mentions a published seanad report earlier this year  into Travellers experience of "stigma, longstanding prejudice, discrimination, racism, social exclusion and identity erosion".
'The report's first recommendation was to "reserve a seat in the Seanad for Travellers in the form of a taoiseach's nominee'.

Last time around Varadkar nominated a northern Unionist as is/was tradition (nominate a northerer). The media speculation this time  centred around which northerner MM would nominate. I assume something was altered in Michael Martin's considerations, the token northern ambassador was dropped and  Eileen was nominated instead.

Itchy

So it seems that Barry Cowens drink driving story was leaked to the media by his party colleague Thomas Byrne as he was mad at Cowen getting a ministerial post instead of him. The tweet below is from one of Thomas Byrnes canvassers Ken McFadden

https://twitter.com/unspeakable28/status/1280975847445401600

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 08:39:19 AM
So it seems that Barry Cowens drink driving story was leaked to the media by his party colleague Thomas Byrne as he was mad at Cowen getting a ministerial post instead of him. The tweet below is from one of Thomas Byrnes canvassers Ken McFadden

Crazy if true, so Byrne knew but Martin didn't?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 09, 2020, 08:45:03 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 08:39:19 AM

Crazy if true, so Byrne knew but Martin didn't?

There is a generation of people who have not witnesses FF i government, I hope they are ready for 5 years of this. Acting like spoilt children.

Boycey

You could have a point Itchy if every other party and politician wasn't exactly as infantile. Politics has always been childish but I truly despair of it now in the social media age. It has completely ceased to be about anything other than the right soundbite

Rossfan

I see Flaherty the new FF TD in Longford has been apologising too (been a busy week of politicians apologising)
He wrote letters to Court in support for 3 " individuals" who were partaking in Longford criminal feud activities.

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on July 09, 2020, 09:58:24 AM
You could have a point Itchy if every other party and politician wasn't exactly as infantile. Politics has always been childish but I truly despair of it now in the social media age. It has completely ceased to be about anything other than the right soundbite

I dont accept that every other party is similarily infantile as this, this is a new low even for FF. What you are doing there is whataboutery of a kind, they are all as bad as each other so why bother call any of it out. Knifing your own colleague in the back because he got promoted ahead of you? Even his own canvasser called him out on that act.

Now go to Independent.ie and see what the top story is today - you guessed it, A SF TD in 2013 did the same. Not a mention of the allegation above.

My point with all this is that I have no issue with a man or woman making a mistake, but the way they are treated by the media in this country is shocking. One rule for one and another for the others. Anyone who doesnt think that the media in Ireland tried to change the course of the last election for example is an idiot.

Rossfan

You might give some examples of the "media trying to change the course if the last election"
Remember that SF only had 42 or was it 45? candidates.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
You might give some examples of the "media trying to change the course if the last election"
Remember that SF only had 42 or was it 45? candidates.

I never said they were fully successful as people are getting wise to it.

Resurrecting the case of Paul Quinn that occurred in 2007. No mention before election and no mention after. Used the mans poor mother for political gain.