26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Rossfan

True but if a gang of savage murderous thugs hadn't broken every bone in the chap's body in the process of murdering him with crowbars..... 
Mrs Quinn was more than glad of the opportunity to highlight what the savage thugs did to her son.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2020, 12:45:13 PM
True but if a gang of savage murderous thugs hadn't broken every bone in the chap's body in the process of murdering him with crowbars..... 
Mrs Quinn was more than glad of the opportunity to highlight what the savage thugs did to her son.

The gang of thugs (exactly what they are) that carried out the murder werent standing for election 13 years later in the south. It was a cynical attempt to influence the election. They might as well have dragged up Haugheys gun running. The point is, you have to admit this was a cynical media attempt to influence the election result.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 01:51:12 PM

The gang of thugs (exactly what they are) that carried out the murder werent standing for election 13 years later in the south. It was a cynical attempt to influence the election. They might as well have dragged up Haugheys gun running. The point is, you have to admit this was a cynical media attempt to influence the election result.

But those with vital information on the murder are in office for SF

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
You might give some examples of the "media trying to change the course if the last election"
Remember that SF only had 42 or was it 45? candidates.

I'm no Shinner, but the Indo refused to publish opinion polls because they didn't like the results of them.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 09, 2020, 02:08:16 PM
You might give some examples of the "media trying to change the course if the last election"

I'm no Shinner, but the Indo refused to publish opinion polls because they didn't like the results of them.

Its the way the world works. CNN democrat, Fox Republican.

HiMucker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 09, 2020, 02:19:17 PM

As biased as a fox news or CNN is, I don't ever recall them not publishing opinion polls. In fact Fox news opinion polls is one of their few credible attributes. Rte like the BBC is an out and out state propaganda broadcast machine

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 09, 2020, 02:05:23 PM

I doubt it, in relation to Quinn. I doubt if anyone in office for SF was there, they may "know" who did it but sure the PSNI and Gardai likely know that already, but have no proof.

Robert McCartney would be another matter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on July 09, 2020, 02:26:28 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 09, 2020, 02:19:17 PM

As biased as a fox news or CNN is, I don't ever recall them not publishing opinion polls. In fact Fox news opinion polls is one of their few credible attributes. Rte like the BBC is an out and out state propaganda broadcast machine

A newspaper can choose however to add whatever story they see fit. In this instance it probably done the Indo more reputational damage than good, especially when the results were widely available at the click of a button. No information was withheld from the public through state control.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

If that is true (I doubt it is) they were in office in 2017 and 2018 and 2019. Why wait until the middle of a general election? Coincidence was it?

five points

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 05:47:59 PM

If that is true (I doubt it is) they were in office in 2017 and 2018 and 2019. Why wait until the middle of a general election? Coincidence was it?

No coincidence but unresolved political scandals often become topical again at election time.  This sort of thing has been going on for my lifetime. The comings and goings of the 1970 Arms Trial used bother Charlie Haughey in elections campaigns in the 80s.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on July 09, 2020, 06:06:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 05:47:59 PM

No coincidence but unresolved political scandals often become topical again at election time.  This sort of thing has been going on for my lifetime. The comings and goings of the 1970 Arms Trial used bother Charlie Haughey in elections campaigns in the 80s.

I dont recall it being brought up by media in such a sustained manner. Not the only example I could give you either and I think you know that full well.

Itchy

So it appears a jealous FF junior minister leaked a story to the media about a senior FF minister and a FF activist is willing to swear on the bible he heard this and it gets no mainstream media coverage???

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 09:04:43 PM
So it appears a jealous FF junior minister leaked a story to the media about a senior FF minister and a FF activist is willing to swear on the bible he heard this and it gets no mainstream media coverage???

Of course not. It does not involved SF! I'm no SF supporter, but that's the way it goes!

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 09, 2020, 09:07:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2020, 09:04:43 PM

Of course not. It does not involved SF! I'm no SF supporter, but that's the way it goes!

I agree that's the way it goes, but amazingly there are quite a few who deny that is the case and its a fair playing field.