New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

NYC, Manhattan especially, is expensive as f**k. $7 a bottle for imported beer, $6 for domestic. Food depends how fancy you want to eat. Plenty of Irish pubs everywhere. Lots of other drinking establishments too.

The Iceman

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 24, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
The good wife just surprised me with trip to NYC now for the end of July for a birthday pressie. We had a wish list of things that we would like to do. We're staying in Fitzwilliam (Or maybe Fitzgerald's) hotel in Manhattan. Only staying for 4 days so would like to get as much done as possible. So far we would like to do

Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island
Top of the rock
Times Square
Central park (Preferable bike ride)
Broadway show
Shopping day
Was told to take in grand central terminal as well.
Ground Zero

All very touristy things I know. But is there any other things that we shouldn't miss over there. Or is there any on the list that we should avoid? Was told not to bother with Empire state building if doing Top of the rock.
Also would be planning a good nite out on the saturday, ideally would like a good Irish bar that's local to the hotel, so if anyone has recommendations on that as well? 
Also, roughly speaking what sort of Dollars would ya go through over 4 days (Ignoring the shopping side obviously) doing these sort of things? Is drink and food expensive over there?
Why would you go the whole way to NY to go out in an Irish Bar? Surely there are Irish bars where you live? Experience something different... The Ninja Restaurant - I'm sure you don't have that where you live. A roof top bar overlooking manhattan maybe. The revolving restaurant...... There are 1001 things to do in NY that you'll never find at home.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

supersarsfields

Cause I like Irish bars. Especially one's with live music. I intend to try some other things as well. But planning a good rip on the sat night, and would like to try a good irish bar.a

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2013, 04:45:11 PM
NYC, Manhattan especially, is expensive as f**k. $7 a bottle for imported beer, $6 for domestic. Food depends how fancy you want to eat. Plenty of Irish pubs everywhere. Lots of other drinking establishments too.

Had the exact opposite experience, but I did take a Food on Foot tour (it was part of the NYC Pass I got, which is excellent value if you're hitting the major attractions) and the guy who did the tour knew all the best places for great (and cheap) food and drink. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to sample some of the less touristy food in the city.

Jeepers Creepers

Statue of Liberty. (take photos as you sail past on your way to Ellis island is suffice, don't go to liberty island)
Ellis Island. ( a must for me, very poignant spot for Irish)
Top of the rock
Times Square (chaotic, in pics then out)
Central park (Preferable bike ride) ( a must)
Broadway show ( if it keeps the Mrs happy)
Shopping day ( see above)
Was told to take in grand central terminal as well. ( well worth a shout)
Ground Zero( while you there type of thing, great shop for the Mrs facing it called century 21, sort of TK Maxi)

Drink is expensive in Manhatten. Go to Greenage village, happy hours usually around office clocking out time. And eat on the go. Don't rule out Irish bars as they bar staff love talking to people from home and might shout you a couple of drinks.

[/quote]

Hardy

Irish Bars in New York are not Irish bars as in the rest of the world. They're Irish American bars which were there for a century before the modern awful global Irish Bar phenomenon was dreamt of. The Blarney Stone chain in Manhattan is typical. Great places for a three-inch thick roast beef sandwich. Also don't miss McSorley's on East 7th St. Oldest bar in NYC. Sawdust on the floor and they serve only McSorley's Ale and McSorley's lager. I was in there a few years ago for the first time since the seventies and it hadn't changed an iota. I think I got the same beer mat.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
Irish Bars in New York are not Irish bars as in the rest of the world. They're Irish American bars which were there for a century before the modern awful global Irish Bar phenomenon was dreamt of. The Blarney Stone chain in Manhattan is typical. Great places for a three-inch thick roast beef sandwich. Also don't miss McSorley's on East 7th St. Oldest bar in NYC. Sawdust on the floor and they serve only McSorley's Ale and McSorley's lager. I was in there a few years ago for the first time since the seventies and it hadn't changed an iota. I think I got the same beer mat.

Got kicked out of there many moons ago.

whitey

McSorleys is a must do.  They actually kick people out for not drinking fast enough.....I'm sure that wasn't the case with you though.

In and around Mid Town there's some great pubs-the Perfect Pint, St Andrews to name but a couple.

I also had a great night in a pub called the Black Sheep a good few years ago

For grub definitely hit Katz Deli-you'll get a sandwich that'd feed an african village for a week

Check out Yelp too. they have a NYC forum where you can spill your guts in terms of what you want to do when your in town and all types of people offer up suggestions. Yanks love visitors and want them to have a great time when they're in town.

In the past year alone I have met some very interesting characters......from a NAMA refugee who owes north of $50m to a great great grand nephew of one of the visionaries from Knock Shrine. You'll have a great time

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd recommend Del Frisco's beside the Rockfeller Centre for a bite to eat. Great spot. Was in NY over New Year, the buzz around Manhattan is simply fantastic.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

McSorley's is a class spot - always try to make it when I go to NYC.

The main advice when you go to New York is just get out and go, go, go until you drop. It's a super city. Endless stuff to do and the little gems you find are the best. Found an amazing restaurant one time courtesy of Lonely Planet. I was sick of eating in Irish bar type places so thanks to my big gob got landed with picking a spot. It's still talked about in our family.

FL/MAYO

Two other famous bars that are Downtown are the White Horse Tavern and the Ear Inn, if you want to do a pub crawl of bars you might as well do the famous ones

http://earinn.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Tavern_(New_York_City)

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on June 24, 2013, 10:48:13 PM
For grub definitely hit Katz Deli-you'll get a sandwich that'd feed an african village for a week

Staff are ignorant bastards. We arrived in hungover on a Sunday, didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place (also haven't seen When Harry met Sally) and asked if we could get a fry up. Server looks at us and goes "Sorry man, not that kind of place" and walked off.

Canalman

Agree with alot of what has been posted.

For a short stay imo do not under any circumstances queue up for anywher........ time too precious.

People watching is my favourite part of NY as is just wandering around gawking.

Agree with what was said about the Irish bars........... nothing wrong with going to them as they are the real deal more often than not. Guidebook snobs will sniff away but don't mind them. Personally would prefer an Irish bar than say for example the latest trendy wine bar that is the talk of SoHo. Brilliant bars wests of Time Square on I think 8th or 9th avenues.

Not a fan of McSorleys .............. head up its hle with self importance.

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on June 25, 2013, 08:12:21 AM
Quote from: whitey on June 24, 2013, 10:48:13 PM

Staff are ignorant b**tards. We arrived in hungover on a Sunday, didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place (also haven't seen When Harry met Sally) and asked if we could get a fry up. Server looks at us and goes "Sorry man, not that kind of place" and walked off.

It's a Jewish Deli in Manhattan......what do you expect? 

5 Sams

For top quality junk food.....http://www.shakeshack.com/ you might have to wait a while but it's worth it.

Best thing to do in NYC is to walk, walk, walk, walk, around the village, Battery park/Financial district. Take a dander up 5th Avenue from Central Park. You can smell the money around the expensive shops like Tiffanys etc. I spent about a half an hour hanging around outside that shop once while the wife was inside looking at what she couldnt afford....as someone said earlier the people watching was top notch.... ;) Those rich American women look after themselves!! :D

Speaking of bars.... on the same day I popped in here with a mate of mine http://nymag.com/listings/bar/subway_inn/

No rip off prices and one of the few bars that still stand you a round after you buy two or three yourself. It also helped matters that it had a great jukebox and there was a lad from Dromintee behind the bar. Great evenings crack.
The Aristocrat Years