Ex-pats in non-Anglophone countries

Started by Eamonnca1, July 27, 2015, 07:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I'm curious about what it's like being an ex-pat in a non English-speaking country where you had to start at zero and learn the local lingo. I found it easy to settle in here in the states since I was already so familiar with a lot of it through TV and what have you, and understanding the language was a huge help. But what's it like having to settle in a place where you have to put serious thought into something as basic as ordering food or paying for stuff? Do you feel a bit helpless at first? Do you find yourself relying much on other people knowing English?

I remember when I visited Russia I felt like I had a superpower just by being able to read signs and say "that picture please" in a shop. Do you get a kick out of getting by in a tongue that's not your own?

The English-speaking world is a decent sized place, but I often feel limited in my travel options because I'm a bit put off by language barriers.

laoislad

I found it very tough when I moved.
Learning a new langauge was the hardest, even now after 14 years and even after marrying a local I still struggle with the langauge.

Other than that though,Dublin isn't a bad place to live.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Moving to Barcelona in October. Will tell you then.

ardal

Barcelona is full of English speakers; including the service industry so you'll not have a problem, beyond mixing castellano and catala together in the same sentence.

You really don't need a hell of a lot in any language to get by quite comfortably but you should really make the leap to the stage were you find yourself using your host country language instinctively, even when  on holidays in Ireland.

I'm a few 100 km north west of you Gallsman.

Contact the Barcelona Gaels whilst there.

Scobies on calle universidad or Balmes; I think, (near plaza Catalunya) will have all you GAA and TAYTO.

I'm crap at conjugating the spanish verbs as so many of them are irregular and nouns have a sex, also hand gestures for past and future come in deadly Handy.

gallsman

Quote from: ardal on July 29, 2015, 03:50:50 PM
Barcelona is full of English speakers; including the service industry so you'll not have a problem, beyond mixing castellano and catala together in the same sentence.

You really don't need a hell of a lot in any language to get by quite comfortably but you should really make the leap to the stage were you find yourself using your host country language instinctively, even when  on holidays in Ireland.

I'm a few 100 km north west of you Gallsman.

Contact the Barcelona Gaels whilst there.

Scobies on calle universidad or Balmes; I think, (near plaza Catalunya) will have all you GAA and TAYTO.

I'm crap at conjugating the spanish verbs as so many of them are irregular and nouns have a sex, also hand gestures for past and future come in dealy Handy.

Already speak a good bit of Spanish so I'm not worried about it outside work at all - can more than get by in shops, restaurants, casual conversation etc. Having to do it professionally will be the issue - work (global financial services) have indicated they would like me to speak a lot of English when there to help bring them up to scratch and increase their comfort level when dealing with the wider organisation, which I'm not overly happy about as improving my Spanish is one of the main reasons for going. Have committed to going for two years - would be unhappy if I wasn't fluent by the time that was up.

Girlfriend is moving too and has handed in her notice in work. She's a solicitor in Belfast and we know will struggle for related work over there. She has a decent bit of Spanish too and we figure that if we can't find her legal related work, even tenuously, her CV will be fine if we can fill the two years with productive things - fluency, volunteering, interning etc. We'll like have significantly less purchasing power but can do without expensive holidays and the like for a couple of years to have the experience of living outside the comfort zone.

Have already been in touch with the Gaels and am hopeful of being there in time for some late autumn training. The brother set up the Harps in Madrid so am looking forward to the Iberian championships.

Eamonnca1

Your GF's packing in the job and going with you? Jesus, that's some leap of faith you're making there, Galls. Fair play to you and best of luck with it.

gallsman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 30, 2015, 05:40:30 AM
Your GF's packing in the job and going with you? Jesus, that's some leap of faith you're making there, Galls. Fair play to you and best of luck with it.

Cheers. We know it's a risk and her parents needed some convincing, but we figure that if we don't do it now when we've a definite opportunity for one us professionally, then we never will.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on July 30, 2015, 08:35:55 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 30, 2015, 05:40:30 AM

Cheers. We know it's a risk and her parents needed some convincing, but we figure that if we don't do it now when we've a definite opportunity for one us professionally, then we never will.

Fair play Gallsman - I think everyone should thrust themselves in to another culture for at least two years- hopefully you love it and so does the Mrs! You'll be fluent in 6 months - wait and see! Once you start dreaming in Spanish! Also if you end up settling I think raising kids bi-lingual sets them up for success. It unlocks pathways in the brain other kids don't develop until much later.

@ Emaonn I found it much easier to settle in Paris for the short time I lived there. I was down in Nicaragua for about 7 months too and that was nearly easier than the US. Yes the language barrier is difficult at first but the people tended to be very friendly and I made some solid mates. Looking back maybe it was a different time, I was more social, with less responsibility but I definitely enjoyed it. I've always been very interested in languages, the history, the foundation, the makeup, the evolution. I made it a mission to be able to say a few words in as many languages as I can - always found it a great tool to welcome people from different countries, break the ice.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aerlik

I went to Japan exactly 20 years ago today with the intention of staying only a year to shire ma heed and then I was going to come back home.  How things changed.  I ended up staying almost 6 years and what a time and experience it was. 

I could not speak any of the language and so that was a major challenge, but languages are an interest of mine and so I began to study Japanese and with the help of those around me I picked it up to a reasonable level to the point that I could hold a decent conversation.  I also learned to read and write the language and whilst those elements of the language have waned somewhat, I still have the chance to speak to Japanese here in Australia and that helps immensely.

The thing I found about the language is that you almost have to adopt the mindset of a child, that being someone who is not afraid to repeat what they hear and not afraid to make a mistake.  I made lots of mistakes and learned from them. 

I learned French, German and Irish at school, continuing the latter two to A-level and university level.  That gave me a superb grounding in the understanding of Japanese grammar, and I still think that Japanese grammar is actually easier.  Past historic modal verbs don't exist in Japanese!

So my advice is to try and get language books that follow a read and write format so that you are actually "seeing" what you are saying, and in that way you are duplicating the learning process.  I find the "Teach yourself" book series a bit too muddled up and not structured properly.  I believe the best language books I have ever used are the "Japanese For Busy People" books as their structure and format are superb, with a great mix of grammar, writing and reading.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2015, 11:12:32 AM

Love it. Love it, love it, love it.

Getting by fine on the Spanish that I already had and am starting to pick things up again already. Meetings in the office can be difficult as I can understand 95% of things when one person is talking to me but when there's a group discussion going on, can find myself turning my head like I was watching a doubles tennis match.

The weather is still fantastic out here (21º C) at the minute, so that has helped things enormously. Work is putting us up for a couple of months in a nice apartment so we're in the middle of the search for somewhere permanent at the minute, which is a bit frustrating. Apartments are hit and miss and there appears to be absolutely no logic to pricing or quality. An old dump in a shite area might be 500e more than a decent spot in a nice one. Market moves so damn quickly too.

The city can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. Some great quality food in Mercadona and we can do a fortnight's worth of groceries for two for 75e easily. Can go out at night and you could spend 100e per person in a nice restaurant if you wanted or you could do lunch and dinner for two with drinks, for two nights, for 100e. Absolutely loving the cariety of food and drink available.

Went training with the Gaels ASAP and really enjoying it so far. Playing on a synthetic rugby pitch that is apparently a world above what they used to have. We appear to have decent numbers this year with a few more to come back so should hopefully be a force come tournament time. There's a lot to be said for breaking out the wife beater so you can top up the tan while playing football in lovely November sunshine  8) 8) 8)

seafoid

One of the biggest problems is trying to learn the local lingo when al the locals want to practice their English on you.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2015, 01:19:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2015, 11:12:32 AM

Love it. Love it, love it, love it.

Getting by fine on the Spanish that I already had and am starting to pick things up again already. Meetings in the office can be difficult as I can understand 95% of things when one person is talking to me but when there's a group discussion going on, can find myself turning my head like I was watching a doubles tennis match.

The weather is still fantastic out here (21º C) at the minute, so that has helped things enormously. Work is putting us up for a couple of months in a nice apartment so we're in the middle of the search for somewhere permanent at the minute, which is a bit frustrating. Apartments are hit and miss and there appears to be absolutely no logic to pricing or quality. An old dump in a shite area might be 500e more than a decent spot in a nice one. Market moves so damn quickly too.

The city can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. Some great quality food in Mercadona and we can do a fortnight's worth of groceries for two for 75e easily. Can go out at night and you could spend 100e per person in a nice restaurant if you wanted or you could do lunch and dinner for two with drinks, for two nights, for 100e. Absolutely loving the cariety of food and drink available.

Went training with the Gaels ASAP and really enjoying it so far. Playing on a synthetic rugby pitch that is apparently a world above what they used to have. We appear to have decent numbers this year with a few more to come back so should hopefully be a force come tournament time. There's a lot to be said for breaking out the wife beater so you can top up the tan while playing football in lovely November sunshine  8) 8) 8)

Im following you today gallsman...  :)

Sounds great...Spanish is main business lingo then not Catalan?

How did you get yer Spanish up to the conversational level, was it Spanish classes or did you spend sometime in Hispanic countries? I know you've been on holiday to Cuba but anything longer anywhere?

Always loved the food in Spain but never been to Barcelona where I hear its different but very good too. Beer usually pretty bad tho...?

What about independence are they gonna go for it?

Sounds great glad yer enjoying it, but on the other hand... watch the Sun when the summer comes, it can be cruel on Irish skin.

gallsman

Come from a family with good Spanish ability, did it all the way up to A Level (including quite a few CCEA awards, if I do say so myself!), spent 3 summers living with a Spanish family 12 onwards etc

The business language is Castellano but a lot of chat in the office is Catalan which is difficult.