St. Patrick's. Does it really add to the year?

Started by Denn Forever, March 09, 2020, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Caress

Wee ones are still young enough to enjoy the parade otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything to celebrate.  I cant see parades in the north taking place cause of the corona. So  that's me sorted...

Rois

Ah jeez Bah Humbug the lot of you.

Shamrocks, mass, a blast of "Hail Glorious St Patrick", break lent and do something special that marks the day. Doesn't have to involve alcohol.

Eamonnca1

Last time I went to mass on St Paddy's Day the priest was giving out for people treating it as a patriotic national festival instead of being pious Christians about it.

Itchy

I like the parade for the kids sake, havent gone out drinking on St Patricks days in probably 10 years - its too messy, too many eejits starting too early and making a show of themselves. Mine was always the parade and watch the club finals afterwards. As I get older generally doing much less drinking anyway.

Last Caress

With Parades being cancelled are we all heading to the Holy Lands in Belfast instead ?

imtommygunn

The best part of the day was the club finals :(

Haven't been to a parade in years though but the drinking has gone a bit out of control in Belfast so I avoid a lot of places.

dublin7

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 09, 2020, 07:24:05 PM
Seems to be a day for those with Irish ancestry abroad to celebrate or have more interest in than the Irish people living in the island of Ireland do?

Enjoyed it far more when living in Australia than I do in Ireland. Normally go to club finals in Croker depending on who's playing.

Stay away from the city centre given the levels of drunkeness. The amount of drunk teenagers around town that day is depressing

sensethetone

Does Bundoran still get crowds on St. Patricks day?

bannside

https://www.tourismireland.com/Press-Releases/2021/March/Tourism-Ireland-announces-Global-Greening-line-1

We do like to put ourselves down at times, but there genuinely does seem to be a lot of goodwill out there for Ireland.

An Watcher

Flip me there's alot of moaning on here, if you don't like parades - don't go, if you don't like alcohol - don't drink, if you want to get shit faced - get shit faced. Paddy's day means different things to different people. There's no harm in it. Personally I used to love the club finals especially if there were ulster sides involved. Haven't drank on Paddy's day in years though. More for the kids and a bit of craic. What's not to like about a day off work too.

Itchy

Its a day for kids to get involved in the parades in their home town/village and for the parents to walk with them. I haven't gone out on st Patrick's evening in years, too many plastered clowns about so i'd go home after parade and watch the football / hurling and leave it at that. Its just a day off work this yr

Milltown Row2

The GAA in their thrust for change have ruined it (for me anyways) with the removal of club finals on Paddy's day, it was a day to meet up with club mates and watch the games, discuss the season ahead and generally have great banter, I generally was finished up by 6 once the wife came and picked me up!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Lightweight. Ive a dozen pints in me by then on me way for a pastie supper before i start round two 👀👀

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 14, 2021, 10:38:07 AM
Lightweight. Ive a dozen pints in me by then on me way for a pastie supper before i start round two 👀👀

Completely, I've tried to sit up and have a few more but I'm sleeping in settee, they even fooled me one year and said it was midnight and time for bed, off I went, they stayed down to watch a film, it was 7.30!

10 pints is plenty for me, it's the last one that does it, the I'm on my way pint!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea