26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

macdanger2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 12, 2020, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 12:17:50 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2020, 10:45:32 AM
So are you saying that supply is not the problem?

Supply is part of the problem.

Landlords having the purchasing power (no doubt many by dint of their rental incomes) to price out folks looking to buy-to-live is another.
landlords are actually exiting the sector
especially small landlords

a lot of houses in towns are being bought by investment funds, renovated and then high rents set as the houses are in good areas
other landlords see the rents rising, so do so likewise

Sorry, yeah, I should have made clear I am encompassing the investment funds within my definition of "landlords".

You'd imagine applying a fair level of taxation on REITs would go a long way to resolving that problem

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2020, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 12:38:41 PM
(A) The Senate is done away with and replaced with an assembly of members elected by professional bodies.

What professional bodies would these be?

Bodies like the Irish Medical Organisation, Engineers Ireland, Law Society of Ireland, Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland or similar.

There obviously would have to be qualifying criteria - which of course could be adjusted by the established framework: Proposed by Cabinet; passed in both Dail & Professional Assembly.

The big problem would be getting the whole thing off the ground. For which you'd probably need a revolution of sorts (the corrupt turkeys in the Dail aren't going to vote for Christmas) and then drawing of a new constitution. Never gonna happen unfortunately.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2020, 02:45:55 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 02:44:14 PM

Landlords having the purchasing power (no doubt many by dint of their rental incomes) to price out folks looking to buy-to-live is another.

a lot of houses in towns are being bought by investment funds, renovated and then high rents set as the houses are in good areas

Sorry, yeah, I should have made clear I am encompassing the investment funds within my definition of "landlords".

You'd imagine applying a fair level of taxation on REITs would go a long way to resolving that problem

You'd think so.

But when Dublin is viewed as the best property investment location in Europe for 4 years running, I think the "fair level of taxation" has not yet been reached!
i usse an speelchekor

macdanger2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2020, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 12:38:41 PM
(A) The Senate is done away with and replaced with an assembly of members elected by professional bodies.

What professional bodies would these be?

Bodies like the Irish Medical Organisation, Engineers Ireland, Law Society of Ireland, Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland or similar.

There obviously would have to be qualifying criteria - which of course could be adjusted by the established framework: Proposed by Cabinet; passed in both Dail & Professional Assembly.

The big problem would be getting the whole thing off the ground. For which you'd probably need a revolution of sorts (the corrupt turkeys in the Dail aren't going to vote for Christmas) and then drawing of a new constitution. Never gonna happen unfortunately.

TBF, we had a chance to get rid of the senate in 2013 but we rejected it. I'm pretty sure there was all sorts of reform promised at the time.........

93-DY-SAM

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-sells-229-homes-to-landlord-for-78m-1.4135996

This is what you are up against. Capitalism at its finest.

seafoid

I wouldn't buy a house now

https://www.ft.com/content/360028ba-c702-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0

"Policymakers acknowledged they had reached a turning point in the way they viewed the global system. They cannot rely on the tools they used before the financial crisis to shape the economic environment, and the US can no longer be considered a predictable actor in economic or trade policy — even though there is no imminent replacement for the US dollar in sight.
"Central banks will not be able to return to the policies they relied on before the global financial crisis.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Hopefully the new Government will end tax free status for Vulture funds and give practical help to young people to buy houses.
How about no stamp duty or a flat €500 for 1st time buyers of new houses ( with income and price/size limits)
How about deferring say 40% of the VAT for 1st time buyers of new houses. Can be paid over they years via PAYE or whatever.
How about then requiring only a €5,000 deposit.
Again with income and size/price limits.

How about NAMA borrowing €3 or €4 Bn from the Credit Union movement to build affordable houses for sale at cost price.
They'd get the money back from the purchaser +say €10k site cost and VAT of €20 to 25k. This money could be used to build houses for a Tenant Purchase scheme e.g.
The Credit Union could get 2% interest over 18 months which is better than paying banks to mind their Billions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

That is much too fair. Now what's in it for potential/landlords/TDs?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Captain Obvious

Brendan Howlin to resign as Labour leader. Leo Varadkar to do the same? Fine Gael had its worst election result since 1948.

macdanger2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 12, 2020, 04:01:50 PM
Brendan Howlin to resign as Labour leader. Leo Varadkar to do the same? Fine Gael had its worst election result since 1948.

Hopefully anyone but Alan Kelly to replace him.

Leo won't resign and I doubt he'll be pushed just yet anyway, maybe in the months ahead though

seafoid

Labour only got 6 and were expecting 10. They didn't have a mandate to participate in government, and hadn't been in government either.
FG were in power for the last 2 Dail sessions. They weren't expected to do well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on February 12, 2020, 03:03:24 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-sells-229-homes-to-landlord-for-78m-1.4135996

Exactly what I mean. How is the average couple supposed to go up against that?

Never mind someone on their own looking to buy a roof for over their head!
i usse an speelchekor

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2020, 04:10:35 PM

Hopefully anyone but Alan Kelly to replace him.

Leo won't resign and I doubt he'll be pushed just yet anyway, maybe in the months ahead though

It's a funny one re the mechanics. Leo has to resign as Taoiseach when the Dail resumes in a week or two. But if there's no agreement on a coalition by then, then he has to stay on as Caretaker Taoiseach. And the Cabinet has to continue on as Caretaker Ministers, even though the likes of Ross and Zappone are no longer TDs. None of the caretakers are allowed to resign their posts until the new government is formed.

Technically Leo could resign as FG leader but he would still have to continue as Caretaker Taoiseach, so I couldn't see that happening.
So it's likely Leo has a good month left as leader of the country. Could all look a bit silly if it's the current crew representing Ireland at all the worldwide St Patrick's Day festivities, but it is what it is I suppose.

Hound

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 12, 2020, 04:29:36 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on February 12, 2020, 03:03:24 PM

Exactly what I mean. How is the average couple supposed to go up against that?

Never mind someone on their own looking to buy a roof for over their head!
Besides the point I know, but if I had €78.75million to spare, I don't think I'd use it to buy 229 apartments, houses and duplexes in Adamstown! Part of an 1,100 unit concrete jungle by the sounds of it.

Rossfan

How long will they command a rent of €500k + per month?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM