The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 04:58:27 PM
/You can criticize Cuomo for certain things. His self-regard and spats with DeBlasio. His admin's decision to send recovering patients back to nursing homes to save hospital capacity was poorly judged, although understandable giving the panic over what was happening in Italy at the time. In retrospect he could have shut things down a few days earlier than he did.

I don't see how you can blame him for the community spread that took place in NY in February, leading to the explosion of cases in March. No one knew.

Cuomo has done a very good job overall since those initial mistakes though and led the state very calmly and maturely in dramatically reducing infection rates and deaths (a bit like Giuliani's leadership in the weeks after 9/11, before he turned back into a c**k) .

What excuse does Trump have? He's still in denial and pseudoscientific mode, undermining and sidelining his health professionals every chance he gets, spreading nonsense?

Or the governors of those states that have had the summer outbreaks?

You can't blame Trump and the Governors. As you acknowledge in the case of Cuomo, it's the Governors are responsible for local State logistical arrangements. Outside NY, NJ, CT and MA, most Governors have done well, regardless of recent outbreaks.

Trump can blather all he likes but unless there are Governors who are being somehow forced to follow his orders against their will, what they do then is out of his control. None of the worst-performing Governors have paid a blind bid of heed to him.

J70

Quote from: five points on August 06, 2020, 05:32:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 04:58:27 PM
/You can criticize Cuomo for certain things. His self-regard and spats with DeBlasio. His admin's decision to send recovering patients back to nursing homes to save hospital capacity was poorly judged, although understandable giving the panic over what was happening in Italy at the time. In retrospect he could have shut things down a few days earlier than he did.

I don't see how you can blame him for the community spread that took place in NY in February, leading to the explosion of cases in March. No one knew.

Cuomo has done a very good job overall since those initial mistakes though and led the state very calmly and maturely in dramatically reducing infection rates and deaths (a bit like Giuliani's leadership in the weeks after 9/11, before he turned back into a c**k) .

What excuse does Trump have? He's still in denial and pseudoscientific mode, undermining and sidelining his health professionals every chance he gets, spreading nonsense?

Or the governors of those states that have had the summer outbreaks?

You can't blame Trump and the Governors. As you acknowledge in the case of Cuomo, it's the Governors are responsible for local State logistical arrangements. Outside NY, NJ, CT and MA, most Governors have done well, regardless of recent outbreaks.

Trump can blather all he likes but unless there are Governors who are being somehow forced to follow his orders against their will, what they do then is out of his control. None of the worst-performing Governors have paid a blind bid of heed to him.

How can you say "they've done well regardless of recent outbreaks"?

They are lucky they didn't get hit earlier and thus a lot worse, before people started to learn about this thing. That they've been hit so badly five months in is inexcusable, and a failure of leadership in those places. NYC, being a world financial, tourist and travel hub and extremely densely populated, got hammered early due to the number of people coming in carrying the virus at the start of the outbreak, before they even knew what had hit them.

And Trump, in case you'd missed it, is the head of a personality cult involving more than a third of the country's population. If you think his rhetoric and conduct had nothing to do with the antipathy of his constituents towards restrictions, mask-wearing and public health professionals (including those on his own team), as well as the pressure felt by GOP politicians not to be seen breaking with him, then you're pretty clueless about the reality of US life.

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2020, 05:03:55 PM
The NRA's reign of terror is about to come to an end! Slap it up them!

These allegations have surrounded LaPierre for years.

No doubt he'll try to spin it as partisan over-reach by a Democratic AG. One wonders who the members will hate more? The corrupt execs living large off their dues, or the mean black female Democratic politician from New York?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2020, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 02:00:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2020, 10:03:34 PM
So the people who posted about Trump and the Axios interview-were they outraged or were they just pointing out that Trump is a clown?

MSNBC and WaPo dissected the Axios interview today

I wonder will Joes train wreck interview this morning will get the same scrutiny from them tomorrow

You can point out that Biden is gaffe-prone and looks very frail at times (not exactly headline news) without your usual rant about the media and what they'd supposedly do with a hypothetical GOP politician.

And like it or not, Trump is the president NOW, at a time of national crisis, looking to be reelected, and his mendacity and ignorance is almost never challenged to his face and the results seen. THAT is why the Axios interview elicited such a reaction.

Joes a nice guy and a good guy but an absolute walking disaster

The media (from my vantage point) seem to be giving him a pass that they would never give ANY Republican. Absolute unapologetic character assassination of a decent people like Mitt Romney and John McCain during the 2008 and 2012 campaigns

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/campaign/404543-medias-praise-for-mccain-is-warranted-but-where-was-it-in-08%3famp

Cvnts is the only word I can use to describe them and I hope they get what's coming to them

McCain deserved the negative coverage following the RNC in 2008.

HE thrashed around cluelessly as the financial crisis unfolded.

HE unleashed Sarah Palin and her proto-Trump brand of know-nothing, grievance-based politics and allowed his campaign to be taken over by her and her bigotted supporters (there was no GOP fervour for McCain - it was all for HER).

Was it a coincidence that men like John Lewis, formerly close, harshly criticized McCain during this period?

That Colin Powell, a major figure in the outgoing administration and fixture of GOP politics for more than a decade, endorsed his opponent following the emergence of Palin?

Maybe just for once you can look at the actual people and party themselves instead of always crying about media bias?

BS

They had him targeted long before Palin even entered the fray

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/03/the_beginning_of_the_demonizat.html

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 06:36:07 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2020, 05:03:55 PM
The NRA's reign of terror is about to come to an end! Slap it up them!

These allegations have surrounded LaPierre for years.

No doubt he'll try to spin it as partisan over-reach by a Democratic AG. One wonders who the members will hate more? The corrupt execs living large off their dues, or the mean black female Democratic politician from New York?

The "we are a nation of laws" crowd don't half change their tune when the subject changes from immigration to white collar crime.

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2020, 06:52:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2020, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2020, 02:00:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2020, 10:03:34 PM
So the people who posted about Trump and the Axios interview-were they outraged or were they just pointing out that Trump is a clown?

MSNBC and WaPo dissected the Axios interview today

I wonder will Joes train wreck interview this morning will get the same scrutiny from them tomorrow

You can point out that Biden is gaffe-prone and looks very frail at times (not exactly headline news) without your usual rant about the media and what they'd supposedly do with a hypothetical GOP politician.

And like it or not, Trump is the president NOW, at a time of national crisis, looking to be reelected, and his mendacity and ignorance is almost never challenged to his face and the results seen. THAT is why the Axios interview elicited such a reaction.

Joes a nice guy and a good guy but an absolute walking disaster

The media (from my vantage point) seem to be giving him a pass that they would never give ANY Republican. Absolute unapologetic character assassination of a decent people like Mitt Romney and John McCain during the 2008 and 2012 campaigns

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/campaign/404543-medias-praise-for-mccain-is-warranted-but-where-was-it-in-08%3famp

Cvnts is the only word I can use to describe them and I hope they get what's coming to them

McCain deserved the negative coverage following the RNC in 2008.

HE thrashed around cluelessly as the financial crisis unfolded.

HE unleashed Sarah Palin and her proto-Trump brand of know-nothing, grievance-based politics and allowed his campaign to be taken over by her and her bigotted supporters (there was no GOP fervour for McCain - it was all for HER).

Was it a coincidence that men like John Lewis, formerly close, harshly criticized McCain during this period?

That Colin Powell, a major figure in the outgoing administration and fixture of GOP politics for more than a decade, endorsed his opponent following the emergence of Palin?

Maybe just for once you can look at the actual people and party themselves instead of always crying about media bias?

BS

They had him targeted long before Palin even entered the fray

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/03/the_beginning_of_the_demonizat.html

How the f**k does a couple of articles from the likes of Krugman and Dionne (VERY liberal opinion writers) about McCain's right wing voting record qualify as "character assassination" or a massive, unfair media campaign 'targeting" him?

Eamonnca1

The truth hurts so much for conservatives that as soon as you quote their actual words or talk about the things they actually did, they start yapping like wounded puppies about unfairly treated they are by the big bad media.

whitey

J70-believe whatever your want

Conservatives have been getting a raw deal from the MSM for decades

We're not even upset about it.....we expect nothing less

CNN, The WaPo and The NY Times are the lefts equivalent of Fox News....lacking a shred of credibility

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 06, 2020, 09:22:00 PM
J70-believe whatever your want

Conservatives have been getting a raw deal from the MSM for decades

We're not even upset about it.....we expect nothing less

CNN, The WaPo and The NY Times are the lefts equivalent of Fox News....lacking a shred of credibility

And you believe what YOU want.

Its pretty clear that your foundational political beliefs are that the media is somehow out to get Republicans and conservatives and liberals and Democrats are nasty. And that that's about it.

When you view everything and anything through that prism, I suppose you would see malice and skullduggery lurking behind every liberal or media door.

Gabriel_Hurl

I thought whitey was an independent

Eamonnca1

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 07, 2020, 12:14:36 AM

I'm pro choice, pro gun control, pro amnesty for non criminal illegals......positions a Republican would never hold. I am a fiscal conservative and I am pro law enforcement, hence would vote Republican most of the time

Denn Forever

Quote from: whitey on August 07, 2020, 12:55:08 AM

I'm pro choice, pro gun control, pro amnesty for non criminal illegals......positions a Republican would never hold. I am a fiscal conservative and I am pro law enforcement, hence would vote Republican most of the time

Are democrats anti law enforcement? Don't live in america but  just can't see how anyone could be against law enforcement.  How does this manifest itself in election  ads/literature?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 07, 2020, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: whitey on August 07, 2020, 12:55:08 AM

Are democrats anti law enforcement? Don't live in america but  just can't see how anyone could be against law enforcement.  How does this manifest itself in election  ads/literature?

Everyone is pro law enforcement. The difference is Rethuglicans support the cops like a football team who cannot be criticized because to do so is unpatriotic. Democrats see the cops as a vital public service that should be held accountable like any other.