Best hurl makers

Started by Upandover, September 26, 2022, 09:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upandover

Who makes the best hurls in the north?
Ive seen alot of kids using kilkenny stars recently also known as dowlings, also plenty using brian walsh sticks.
Just wondering who is regarded as the best hurl maker in the north? Kids due new ones but find the torpey sticks in oneills garbage and bourkes hurls far too heavy.

barnish oggie

Try https://www.martinhurls.com/

I bought one off him last night for one of my kids for her birthday.

Definitely good sticks and great to support a small local business.

johnnycool

Quote from: Upandover on September 26, 2022, 09:46:55 PM
Ive seen alot of kids using kilkenny stars recently also known as dowlings, also plenty using brian walsh sticks.
Just wondering who is regarded as the best hurl maker in the north? Kids due new ones but find the torpey sticks in oneills garbage and bourkes hurls far too heavy.

Always wondered who would every buy those... They're shaped like a hurl and that's about it.

Walsh does a good hurl, does the odd pop up shop in the north if you follow them on facebook and can ship them up to you.

Quite like the Torpey bamboo ones, but go for the light ones if they're in stock. online also.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Most of our lads buy Walshes.

Are Scullion and O'Kane still going?

Upandover

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 27, 2022, 10:02:50 AM
Most of our lads buy Walshes.

Are Scullion and O'Kane still going?

Dont know if okane or scullion still going.

Shop beside me stocks the star, declan barron and had canning the odd time before they ceased. Never liked the declan barron hurls, any ive picked up the shaft felt very rounded to me.

barnish oggie

Quote from: johnnycool on September 27, 2022, 09:46:49 AM

Always wondered who would every buy those... They're shaped like a hurl and that's about it.

Walsh does a good hurl, does the odd pop up shop in the north if you follow them on facebook and can ship them up to you.

Quite like the Torpey bamboo ones, but go for the light ones if they're in stock. online also.

Just had a look at those bamboo ones.....jesus they are a serious price!

Wouldn't want to be going through many of them in a season.

johnnycool

Quote from: barnish oggie on September 28, 2022, 09:59:40 AM

They're pretty sturdy and IIRC €80 or there abouts.

Sure you'd be spending €30+ on an ash hurl and I've seen some of those split striking a ball FFS.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: johnnycool on September 28, 2022, 11:28:46 AM

Sure you'd be spending €30+ on an ash hurl and I've seen some of those split striking a ball FFS.

Usually the hurl is cracked before the strike. A full force strike is the final blow. Can be repaired for 10 euro. Still half the price of bamboo. If ash hurleys are replaced by bamboo and sliotars made in Pakistan have we not lost some of what makes the game great?

barnish oggie

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on September 28, 2022, 11:38:58 AM

Usually the hurl is cracked before the strike. A full force strike is the final blow. Can be repaired for 10 euro. Still half the price of bamboo. If ash hurleys are replaced by bamboo and sliotars made in Pakistan have we not lost some of what makes the game great?

Yeah any broken hurls I have I take back to Martin Hurls and he repairs them for £5.

We started up a junior (mostly over 35s) hurling team pre covid and I think the number of hurls we broke over each other will have set him up for life  ;D

I can't see me ever moving away from ash for the reason you gave at the end.

I can't stand seeing girls turning up to training/matches for the camogie teams I help coach with those cultec/mycro plastic sticks either.

johnnycool

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on September 28, 2022, 11:38:58 AM

O'Neills were/are rip off merchants when it comes to the cost of sliotars, their hegemony of that particular market is gone, leading to better and cheaper sliotars.

Not sure that type of rip off ever made our games great.

Kidder81

The Bourke sliotars are quite good for youngsters, not sure about the adult ones. Those coloured smart touch ones from O'Neills are very poor quality

Saffrongael

Bring back the cuffe balls  :D
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 30, 2022, 03:41:40 PM
Bring back the cuffe balls  :D

back in the day the Cummins all star sliotar with the Cork logo was the holy mecca of hurling balls, like hens teeth and alas they are now also made in Pakistan.

paddyjohn

Cuffe Balls and Christy Goodwin helmets

johnnycool

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 01, 2022, 10:33:44 AM
Cuffe Balls and Christy Goodwin helmets

Humpy McKillen has those copyrighted...