Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lár na páirce 1

Anyone any idea when championship draws are to be made?

barnish oggie

Quote from: JimStynes on March 23, 2023, 01:13:11 PM
Got roped into refereeing an u16 girls friendly match last year. Never again. The yapping from the sideline would do your head in.  Longest hour of my life.

Been there many times over the last few years and I know that feeling well unfortunately.

Genuinely don't know how anyone voluntarily offers up their free time to referee any match and has to listen to the grief.

Only answer at the underage games is to offer them the whistle to come on and do it themselves, or point them in the direction of the silent sideline sign and tell them *politely to adhere to its message.....

For a senior game, my patience would be gone within minutes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on March 23, 2023, 01:34:09 PM
I was speaking to our club ref and he told me he has never received a report from an assessor in Antrim, so what is the point of an assessor if they are not giving constructive feedback? When is the last time you got feedback MR2 (apart from all the sparkling reviews on here  ;))?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2023, 01:09:19 PM
which young refs are we talking about? brilliant idea and should be encouraged

There are assessors that go to games and review them from a ref's point of view btw

To be fair recently or last year or so I haven't, but I do know people that have. Generally the new ones are 'visited' and given a verbal assessment of written one

This is a perfect opportunity though to mention that for those that are not looking to be a referee but feel the standards aren't good they could then put themselves forward as assessors?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

Curious to how Andywill approach the Longford game. Will he go with the strongest team available or give some of his squad meaningful game time?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 23, 2023, 03:33:17 PM
Curious to how Andywill approach the Longford game. Will he go with the strongest team available or give some of his squad meaningful game time?

Have we a full team to select from?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

realisticsaff

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 23, 2023, 03:33:17 PM

Will if I've been a sub all year with hardly any game time and I don't start in this nothing game I'm walking off the panel.. maybe that's just me though.

realisticsaff

Just on referees I think fans get frustrated with the inconsistencies, every referee is different and interrupts the game differently. You could go watch your club on a Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night and the game is completely different because of the man in the middle. Some referee's like free flowing games with big hits and let it go and some don't like any contact at all and are whistle happy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 04:28:26 PM
Just on referees I think fans get frustrated with the inconsistencies, every referee is different and interrupts the game differently. You could go watch your club on a Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night and the game is completely different because of the man in the middle. Some referee's like free flowing games with big hits and let it go and some don't like any contact at all and are whistle happy.

What you see and what the referee sees are completely different, the interpretation of the rules by the referee is down to him/her with the whistle, there is no referee the same, that goes for every sport that has a referee looking after it. The players play within the rules and there will be no interruptions.

If me and you sat down and did the rules test how well would you fare?

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2023, 04:43:00 PM

What you see and what the referee sees are completely different, the interpretation of the rules by the referee is down to him/her with the whistle, there is no referee the same, that goes for every sport that has a referee looking after it. The players play within the rules and there will be no interruptions.

I assume you are a ref and see how you lean towards supporting refs.
But doesn't mean they are always right.

For example I remember the Antrim GAA twitter posting a video of a spectacular hit in the SFC SF two years and somehow the ref saw it as free kick.

Yes I see where your coming from, but certainly doesn't mean they always get it right.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 23, 2023, 08:39:11 PM

For example I remember the Antrim GAA twitter posting a video of a spectacular hit in the SFC SF two years and somehow the ref saw it as free kick.

Yes I see where your coming from, but certainly doesn't mean they always get it right.

You're trying too hard but making yourself look like a twat ;D

realisticsaff

Probably as well as any referee and what an extremely arrogant response just because you are the man in the middle doesnt mean you know more

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 10:46:38 PM

Probably as well as any referee and what an extremely arrogant response just because you are the man in the middle doesnt mean you know more

You said I'd know more then say it doesn't mean I know more? Which is it? Strange person

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2023, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 23, 2023, 08:39:11 PM

You're trying too hard but making yourself look like a twat ;D

wow I must have hit a soft spot  :'( :'(

Belfast GAA man

Anyone ever know a popular referee?
No   That's your answer hard job

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 24, 2023, 08:26:00 PM
Anyone ever know a popular referee?
No   That's your answer hard job

When you played, you never had a favourite ref? I'd plenty ref's football/ hurling that were good guys and very well respected.

Probably young ones now feel they can use the ref as an excuse for their own performances. Kids are strange nowadays