Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 01, 2023, 02:09:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2023, 12:53:54 PM
Next weekend. Wee easy game against Tipp first.

Tipp is the last game, on 19th March

Think Leinster will give us a better idea of where we are as teams will have their championship team out and going full pelt

Ah so it is.

Absolutely no way should Gleeson be going anywhere other than voluntarily. I think we are a level below these teams a lot of times and bust ourselves to keep up with them so run out of steam. The level of physicality is something that takes significant time to adapt to. It's not happening due to bad fitness coaches - that kind of thing takes a few years.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2023, 03:38:27 PM

Think Leinster will give us a better idea of where we are as teams will have their championship team out and going full pelt

Ah so it is.

Absolutely no way should Gleeson be going anywhere other than voluntarily. I think we are a level below these teams a lot of times and bust ourselves to keep up with them so run out of steam. The level of physicality is something that takes significant time to adapt to. It's not happening due to bad fitness coaches - that kind of thing takes a few years.

Yep but while we are catching up the other teams are moving on, it's a difficult one as the big teams aren't standing still
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 01, 2023, 03:41:01 PM

Ah so it is.

Yep but while we are catching up the other teams are moving on, it's a difficult one as the big teams aren't standing still

The resources available to some of those other teams would scare you, a lot of IC set ups are near on professional at this stage.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 01, 2023, 03:41:01 PM

Ah so it is.

Yeah it's a massive massive task and you look at who's been able to get in with the bigger teams and it's Dublin where money has been thrown at them.

Laois, Westmeath, us and maybe Carlow suffer the same kind of fate regularly - bust our balls getting up there and have to bust our balls staying there but it's a small player pool and a massive effort. How that cycle ever gets broken I don't know but at the minute I would say we have a very good crop and will probably drop off in a few years.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: NorthAntrim on February 28, 2023, 10:34:15 AM
As far as i know an amalgamation between st teresas and st agnes?

Another hurling team gone. Latharna Og.

More to follow id imagine. Some clubs are really struggling

paddyjohn

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 06, 2023, 10:13:21 AM

Sad, they have done savage work over the last few years to keep going.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 06, 2023, 10:58:43 AM

What happened, numbers
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

SaffronSports

Hadn't heard anything official but see on the Official Antrim site the points have been allocated to the other clubs for all their matches.

They still have the Camogie team and they were fielding at juvenile blitzes last season albeit with low numbers. I grew up in Larne and it obviously isn't a GAA stronghold. There will be a small band of volunteers very disappointed but it's obviously not an easy place to run a club. Still surprising to hear this though.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: SaffronSports on March 06, 2023, 07:36:53 PM

Hadn't heard anything official but see on the Official Antrim site the points have been allocated to the other clubs for all their matches.

They still have the Camogie team and they were fielding at juvenile blitzes last season albeit with low numbers. I grew up in Larne and it obviously isn't a GAA stronghold. There will be a small band of volunteers very disappointed but it's obviously not an easy place to run a club. Still surprising to hear this though.

Neither is Ballymena, Ahoghill or Antrim town but they have no shortage of willing volunteers to drive on and promote their clubs.

How come you didn't volunteer to assist the hurling club when living in Larne????

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 06, 2023, 10:58:43 AM

Unfortunately, that really isn't the case.

Underage isn't great and hurling isn't really promoted by the primary schools, which is strange given the Rossa connections of one of the head teachers in one of the primary schools although Woody has been in coaching as part of the Gaelfast initiative.

As most of the primary school children will be continuing their second level education at St Killians, these children are at an immediate disadvantage when it comes to school sports as there is a serious promotion of hurling and camogie in St Killians.

One or two other issues may exist which contribute to the club's demise plus a few lads have not committed and given up, which left a senior panel of 14-15, not including lads with a few longer term injuries, coupled with lads who couldn't commit due to other reasons.

NorthAntrim

no underage structure is a massive problem (for a lot of clubs)

SaffronSports

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on March 07, 2023, 08:56:54 AM
Quote from: SaffronSports on March 06, 2023, 07:36:53 PM

Neither is Ballymena, Ahoghill or Antrim town but they have no shortage of willing volunteers to drive on and promote their clubs.

How come you didn't volunteer to assist the hurling club when living in Larne????

For most of my time they weren't active and I was also spending most of my time out of Larne where my girlfriend (now wife) lived or in Belfast with work. 

I hope they keep pushing at juvenile level but I know from talking to friends last year it's difficult too as Larne Youth are hoovering up most of the youngsters in the area. Most of the boys I know would be past the age of playing so not sure what's coming up behind them. 

Upandover

Where are the seniors from the club going?

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Upandover on March 07, 2023, 01:20:32 PM
Where are the seniors from the club going?

hopefully not st brigids belfast or this thread will spiral into chaos like the football

Upandover

I think a few will head to belfast clubs tbh.