Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Waterford at least one red card  ;D

I honestly think we've a better chance against them than Dublin. Hoping for a close game but like you say Laois the big test.

keep her low this half

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 24, 2023, 02:57:02 PM
Waterford at least one red card  ;D

I honestly think we've a better chance against them than Dublin. Hoping for a close game but like you say Laois the big test.

Unfortunately we got the red card. Still seemed a reasonable effort with 14 men, leading mid way through the second half then ran out of legs. From reading the report Austin Gleeson off the bench did a lot of damage in the home straight unsurprisingly. Guy beat us single handedly at Corrigan last year.

imtommygunn

That has been the story of every waterford game this year. Yeah we will never beat a team like that with 14. I am not exactly sure what happened with the sending off other than it was "off the ball".

Saffrongael

Yeah an impossible task with 14 & into the wind. It's Laois or bust but I would be reasonably confident we will beat Laois, especially with home advantage. I think we do need to be getting a bit more out of some of the forwards though
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

paddyjohn

Loughbeg Gaels & Belfast Saints?

I'm guessing it's a Moneyglass hurling team but who are the Belfast saints?

NorthAntrim

As far as i know an amalgamation between st teresas and st agnes?

barnish oggie

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 28, 2023, 10:28:00 AM
Loughbeg Gaels & Belfast Saints?

I'm guessing it's a Moneyglass hurling team but who are the Belfast saints?

https://twitter.com/Loughbegharps

keep her low this half

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 27, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Yeah an impossible task with 14 & into the wind. It's Laois or bust but I would be reasonably confident we will beat Laois, especially with home advantage. I think we do need to be getting a bit more out of some of the forwards though

No Eoghan Campbell for that match, we went into the Laois match last year confident of beating them and they were lying in wait for us unfortunately. We have undoubtedly shown better form than them in the league so far but form doesn't win matches scores do. Four of our six starting forwards failed to score at the weekend, not good. Hopefully we can get over the line but nothing is a given.

imtommygunn

Laois have had our number the last few years. We'll do well to win it and Campbell a massive blow assuming he is suspended. Hopefully home advantage will swing it our way but definitely a very tough game.

johnnycool

Liam Sheedy singing your praises on the Sunday game, at least you are showing a competitiveness in all the games to date but that won't count for shít if Laois rock up and take the points this weekend.

imtommygunn

Next weekend. Wee easy game against Tipp first.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2023, 12:53:54 PM
Next weekend. Wee easy game against Tipp first.

Tipp is the last game, on 19th March

Think Leinster will give us a better idea of where we are as teams will have their championship team out and going full pelt
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

We don't beat Laois then we are looking a new manager next season, we may be anyways as all good things come to an end and commitment like that is hard to get.

He has during his period as Manager done very well and taken a few scalps and maintained this league status..

Personally we got caught out last year by Laois and I don't expect us to lose this one, we are a better team that that game showed, but we can't take the foot off the gas if we get on top, and that has been a problem against the big teams, we used to be a 55 minute team, think we are a 62 minute team now, we have to find that energy or level to last 74 minutes

I can't see any other reason why we can hold/compete for that amount of minutes to only lose by 6 unanswered points in the final few minutes other than not being as physically fit or our panel isn't as strong as the others

This is no disrespect to the managers or coaches, the players need to be at a level before they reach senior and then push on from that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

All fair points MR2 and no disrespect to our wider panel but I think we can be a bit lacking coming off the bench at the very top level, and that's to be expected against the top teams.

I suppose the aim is to try and develop a very strong panel of 20-22 players, where we can put 4/5 subs on and not see any drop in performance

keep her low this half

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 01, 2023, 02:38:06 PM
All fair points MR2 and no disrespect to our wider panel but I think we can be a bit lacking coming off the bench at the very top level, and that's to be expected against the top teams.

I suppose the aim is to try and develop a very strong panel of 20-22 players, where we can put 4/5 subs on and not see any drop in performance

This is always the problem with Antrim/Down?Kildare/westmeath etc. About 10 players who are easily division 1 standard, another four or five who are a grade below and four or five off the bench who are that quarter of a second slower to react. Small margins lead to large consequences at the very top level but I would rather be battling and competing in division 1 than winning four out of five in division 2.