Then it will be the players.
Get rid of themm and we'll have a great organisation. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

You could be on to something there. :D

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Zulu on March 09, 2008, 08:54:41 PM
Yeah Rossfan, there are some very worrying trends in the GAA at the moment and many of them have nothing to do with the GPA but it seems lads ain't interested in discussing them. Easier bash the GPA I suppose, who will we blame for our faults if we ever get rid of the GPA?

I agree we've other problems but I don't think there is any bigger than a bunch of spoilt prima donnas throwing their toys out of the pram at every opportunity.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on March 09, 2008, 08:54:41 PM
Yeah Rossfan, there are some very worrying trends in the GAA at the moment and many of them have nothing to do with the GPA but it seems lads ain't interested in discussing them. Easier bash the GPA I suppose, who will we blame for our faults if we ever get rid of the GPA?

The reason no one wants to discuss your original proposition - "Definition of incompetent - GAA" - is that it is hyperbole at best and downright daft at worst. The majority of people running the GAA are incompetent? Simply listing every problem facing the GAA doesn't make an organisation collectively incompetent.

Hardy

Rossfan, your contribution amounts to nothing more than catcalling from the sideline.  Have you nothing to add to the discussion? Maybe you can help me to understand the constitution of the GPA - I'm stuck on that one.

QuoteYeah Rossfan, there are some very worrying trends in the GAA at the moment and many of them have nothing to do with the GPA but it seems lads ain't interested in discussing them. Easier bash the GPA I suppose, who will we blame for our faults if we ever get rid of the GPA?

Zulu, you usually do better than that. That's a ridiculous statement. Have you somehow failed to see all the other threads in this section alone, where people are discussing everything GAA-related you can imagine.

Zulu

QuoteThe reason no one wants to discuss your original proposition - "Definition of incompetent - GAA" - is that it is hyperbole at best and downright daft at worst. The majority of people running the GAA are incompetent? Simply listing every problem facing the GAA doesn't make an organisation collectively incompetent.

No it doesn't and I'd accept I was being intentionally provocative in the title of my post but I was hoping to illicit a response, even if you're being quite arrogant speaking on behalf of all the board. However sometimes it appears that lads won't engage in a discussion about issues unless you're somewhat 'controversial' in the way you phrase things. In saying that I do really believe that there are a lot of muppets in positions of power and I do believe that this is negatively impacting on the future of the GAA.

QuoteZulu, you usually do better than that. That's a ridiculous statement. Have you somehow failed to see all the other threads in this section alone, where people are discussing everything GAA-related you can imagine.

In truth Hardy I was also trying to provoke lads with that post. I'm just frustrated with the way the GAA is run and I know that there are many lads who post or drop in here who are involved in the club game like me and I was hoping to develop a discussion about the direction that the GAA is going in. Instead it became a pointless thread about the GPA. I'm involved at club level (as a coach and player), at university level (as a coach and administrator) and at county level (as a supporter) and I'm extremely annoyed at the continuing incompetence of GAA administrators yet it appears that 'grassroots' GAA people are more interested in having cheap shots at the GPA than in discussing issues that we can influence ourselves.
                                       Now far be it from me to lecture guys on what they should debate on or how they should debate it but I find it disappointing that there is little discussion on real issues that effect us all in the GAA when posted. Whereas if I started a topic with the title 'Player X is a w**ker' we'd probably be into our 6th or 7th page by now. Just a thought lads.

AZOffaly

Zulu,

The GPA is, and will continue to be a contentious subject. The fact that O'Rourke put in a blatant sideswipe at 'ordinary' members in his last 'sketch' meant that it was always likely to provoke a response from a group of said people. You can't be surprised at that.

Now, if you want us to ignore the last couple of paragraphs, and debate the other issues, procedural and otherwise, that have become endemic in the GAA, fair enough, but it's hard(l)y surprising that some lads will jump on his last point.

As for the rest, there has been a few topics on this board, from last year and before, on the need to revamp the procedures in the GAA, and to make the rules, clear, concise and 'appeal' proof. Hardy has alluded to some of the concerns raised.

As I've said a couple of times on those threads, I would be in favour of taking the money made from one or two FAI or IRFU games at croker, and investing it into a committee charged with re-writing the entire GAA rulebook, from A to Z, and to formulate the germane committees, appeals boards, suspensions etc etc. I would constitute it with a couple of legal minds, preferably with GAA experience, such as Joe Brolly, a couple of GAA administrators like Frank Murphy, the master of rules. Liam Mulvihil with his knowledge of rules, and a couple of recently ex-players or managers who would have some relevant experience.

Give them a year if they need it, and let them off. The cost will be worth it because frankly, as you say, the inconsistancies, appeals, counter appeals and general craziness of our rules are very frustrating.

One of the things I would like to be part of any new rulebook is a committee which meets every Tuesday after inter county games, and looks at all sendings off, reported incidents, etc etc. The point of this is to expedite punishments, and any appeals, and mitigate delays because of the current long process.

rosnarun

and then there was Colm O Rourke Media man who gets paid for every thought he has about the GAA now. Maybe he's finding it difficult to reconcile the two
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

pintsofguinness

As I've said a couple of times on those threads, I would be in favour of taking the money made from one or two FAI or IRFU games at croker, and investing it into a committee charged with re-writing the entire GAA rulebook, from A to Z, and to formulate the germane committees, appeals boards, suspensions etc etc. I would constitute it with a couple of legal minds, preferably with GAA experience, such as Joe Brolly, a couple of GAA administrators like Frank Murphy, the master of rules. Liam Mulvihil with his knowledge of rules, and a couple of recently ex-players or managers who would have some relevant experience.

Agree, they could also address the worrying divide we have growing between club and county or player burnout but who cares about that!

AZOffaly

Well pints, to be fair, that would be beyond the remit of a rules, procedure and penalties committee. That should be a policy decision by Central Council/Congress.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWell pints, to be fair, that would be beyond the remit of a rules, procedure and penalties committee.
Yeah I meant as well as dealing with the rules etc they (the GAA) could look at the other issues.

Aghdavoyle

Brennan unconcerned about loophole
05 December 2008

Nickey Brennan has insisted that the GAA's disciplinary structures are sound, despite the exposure of a major loophole in their rulebook.

Ballinderry selector and former Tyrone star Paul Devlin had a 72-week suspension lifted after it was revealed that he wasn't a member of the club. He was banned following the Derry county final, but it later emerged that the Derry county board hadn't the authority to suspend him as he is affiliated to Moortown in his native Tyrone.

He was free to take his place in the dugout for last Sunday's drawn Ulster club final against Crossmaglen, but chose to sit in the stands after being told the Ulster Council is looking into the case and that his ban could yet be re-imposed.

"It's an unusual situation and it's clearly one that has existed in the past without ever being an issue," said Brennan, who is currently in San Francisco with the All-Stars tour.

"It's relatively common for managers from outside a county to manage a club team, but clearly it's something that someone has delved deep into the rulebook about.

"I wouldn't like to say too much about the case because I am aware that there are other angles about to emerge, but it's something that we have to look at to see is there a real problem or is it just a perceived problem. It's far from 'meltdown' though."

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on December 05, 2008, 12:02:09 PM
Brennan unconcerned about loophole
05 December 2008

Nickey Brennan has insisted that the GAA's disciplinary structures are sound, despite the exposure of a major loophole in their rulebook.

Ballinderry selector and former Tyrone star Paul Devlin had a 72-week suspension lifted after it was revealed that he wasn't a member of the club. He was banned following the Derry county final, but it later emerged that the Derry county board hadn't the authority to suspend him as he is affiliated to Moortown in his native Tyrone.

He was free to take his place in the dugout for last Sunday's drawn Ulster club final against Crossmaglen, but chose to sit in the stands after being told the Ulster Council is looking into the case and that his ban could yet be re-imposed.

"It's an unusual situation and it's clearly one that has existed in the past without ever being an issue," said Brennan, who is currently in San Francisco with the All-Stars tour.

"It's relatively common for managers from outside a county to manage a club team, but clearly it's something that someone has delved deep into the rulebook about.

"I wouldn't like to say too much about the case because I am aware that there are other angles about to emerge, but it's something that we have to look at to see is there a real problem or is it just a perceived problem. It's far from 'meltdown' though."

Wouldn't have thought that was true at all. Fairly common these days I think.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

thehulk!!

ive yet to meet anyone intelligent in the gaa im sorry but at admin level a dinosaur is always prefereed, but sure the gaa is great to laugh at especially when you can go look at realy organisation and how they conduct ther business

heffo

Quote from: thehulk!! on December 08, 2008, 02:47:25 PM
the gaa is great to laugh at especially when you can go look at realy organisation and how they conduct ther business

Tell me more about this 'realy organisation' - I'm fascinated by it.

I know your're a troll and I really shouldn't reply, but you are aware of irony of someone with the spelling skills of a five year old decrying an entire organisation for not being intelligent..