Code breakers will find rugby tough to crack

Started by Zulu, November 21, 2010, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

As stated above the skill levels arent as good as we think they are. Mc Geeney is living in la la land.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: snoopdog on November 22, 2010, 12:28:54 PM
there is not a high skill factor to rugby so a half decent Gaelic footballer might have a great chance of making it. anyone can put a ball under their arm and run with it. or kick it out of play to gain possession.
I never understand the hype rubgy gets.

These the same top Gaelic players who use the excuse of an international rules tackle to explain their inability to execute the skills of the game and you think they would cope in rugby???

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: Jinxy on November 21, 2010, 02:32:16 PM
It's all the players fault so.
Either that or Mike McGurn isn't a very good gaelic football coach.
It could hardly be that though?

Going by Ireland's performance in the world cup he isn't even a very good rugby coach.

tyroneboi

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on November 26, 2010, 06:19:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 21, 2010, 02:32:16 PM
It's all the players fault so.
Either that or Mike McGurn isn't a very good gaelic football coach.
It could hardly be that though?

Going by Ireland's performance in the world cup he isn't even a very good rugby coach.

He isn't a rugby coach either.

But going back to the point about making the transformation from Gaelic to Rugby, I think at lower level rugby a Gaelic players ball skills i.e catching and kicking will stick out a mile IMO. As the levels go up then the more difficult it will be because the technical side of rugby is very hard to adapt to the later you start playing the game.

snoopdog

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on November 26, 2010, 12:29:06 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on November 22, 2010, 12:28:54 PM
there is not a high skill factor to rugby so a half decent Gaelic footballer might have a great chance of making it. anyone can put a ball under their arm and run with it. or kick it out of play to gain possession.
I never understand the hype rubgy gets.

These the same top Gaelic players who use the excuse of an international rules tackle to explain their inability to execute the skills of the game and you think they would cope in rugby???
i had the misfortune of being given a free ticket for that egg chasing at the vuvu stadium yesterday, i would have seen more action standing on a ditch watching a herd of cattle grazing.
never been as bored in my life, no skill whatsoever

Redhand Santa

Hard to work out the hype alright. At least its cheap.

Don Johnson

snoopdog

Quote from: Don Johnson on November 29, 2010, 11:13:13 PM
If you don't like it don't comment on it.

is there not an egg chasing site where people can talk about rugby instead of infecting the Gaa  site talking about it.

Johnny Drama

snoopdog you haven't got a clue about rugby or the skills needed to play, it if you had a clue about the sport so stop sprouting sh1t like ''no skill whatsoever'' you should stay in your ditch watching your cattle

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 26, 2010, 10:44:49 AM
Stephen Kelly plays on the wing, the least technical position in rugby and having seen him play he still manages to do lot technically wrong.  A senior inter-county footballer generally makes a really good junior rugby player after 1 season playing the game.

Birch's point I believe is that if you get a promising 16 year old GAA player you can convert him into a promising rugby player hardly earth shattering news..
i'd also say that you dont need to be that young to make it as a good rugby player. How good I am not sure.
These days you would need to start taking your supplements and weights when young to put on the mass if you are to play in the pack.
The backs are not as hard to play in.
Out half or full back and even centre are relatively easy to play at.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 30, 2010, 03:24:14 PM
Stephen Kelly plays on the wing, the least technical position in rugby and having seen him play he still manages to do lot technically wrong.  A senior inter-county footballer generally makes a really good junior rugby player after 1 season playing the game.

Birch's point I believe is that if you get a promising 16 year old GAA player you can convert him into a promising rugby player hardly earth shattering news..

Out-half is a technical position. In effect you have to run the game for your side. You would not drop a rookie in there. Outside centre is the hardest and most technical position to defend in a rugby team. You wouldn't be throwing a newcomer in there either. Again at full-back positioning is so important and requires some experience. Which is why most players with little experience of rugby tend to start on the wing and go from there. It's an easier position to defend as the touchline is your friend.

Johnny Drama

I'd say taking it up any later than 17-18 would be too late, look at the size of some of the Ireland u20 backs and fowards and thats not taking into account the skills and techincal side of the game.
Take defense for example the most gaa players would not have a clue about how to defend, not tackling but decision making and lines of defense. full back would prob be an easier position for a gaa player to convert to because of the space which would be available to attack but again defense would be the hardest part.
As for out half depending on the team possibly on out half conversion might be possible if the team kicked everything and didn't try and move anything thou the back line

Don Johnson

Quote from: snoopdog on November 30, 2010, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on November 29, 2010, 11:13:13 PM
If you don't like it don't comment on it.

is there not an egg chasing site where people can talk about rugby instead of infecting the Gaa  site talking about it.
Is there not some site where narrow-minded idiots such as yourself can talk shite to each other instead of mouthing here for the sake of it? Ah yes, www.hoganstand.com...Now away on like a good girl.

snoopdog

Quote from: Johnny Drama on November 30, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
snoopdog you haven't got a clue about rugby or the skills needed to play, it if you had a clue about the sport so stop sprouting sh1t like ''no skill whatsoever'' you should stay in your ditch watching your cattle

get off the GAA section and go to your rugger buddies. Like most of the country your only a bandwagon rugby fan. never claimed to know anything about rugby IMO it is a boring game. wouldnt hold a candle to Gaelic football. but thats my opinion.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 30, 2010, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 30, 2010, 03:24:14 PM

Out-half is a technical position. In effect you have to run the game for your side. You would not drop a rookie in there. Outside centre is the hardest and most technical position to defend in a rugby team. You wouldn't be throwing a newcomer in there either. Again at full-back positioning is so important and requires some experience. Which is why most players with little experience of rugby tend to start on the wing and go from there. It's an easier position to defend as the touchline is your friend.
wouldnt necessarily agree. Played a bit at 24 - had a few games at full back and found it handy.
However I will admit I played for a couple of years as a kid u10's so it wasnt as if I was a complete rookie !.