Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on October 07, 2019, 09:58:12 PM
Ouch.  Some kick in the teeth for Laois some incompetence on behalf of our County Board.  That's what he thinks of Laois Football.
im sure he's eyeing Kerry senior job after this or Kerry county board are setting him in place to take over as senior boss if he delivers at u20 level .

Silkyskillssunshinee

It was sad to see him go but good luck to the man. That said, I'd be hopeful Mike Quirke can continue the good work that Sugrue built. That divisional championship was one of the best things Sugrue did here, along with back to back league promotions of course.

Tony

Best of luck to him with it. He's a good man and he'll do well there.

thegreeenandgold

That's like wishing your girlfriend good luck with her next fella.

Don Draper

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on October 07, 2019, 10:53:40 PM
That's like wishing your girlfriend good luck with her next fella.
Particularly tough on you given your girlfriend is probably your sister

les Antiques

Jesus Don
Definitely less work strain but I'm sure the truth will come out some day and it won't paint a pretty picture for our county board.

Quirke ratified tonight , still no word on back room team .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on October 07, 2019, 11:13:38 PM
Jesus Don
Definitely less work strain but I'm sure the truth will come out some day and it won't paint a pretty picture for our county board.

f**k him, you read his previous post.

Keyser Söze

And what did he say wrong?
That it's a kick in the teeth?
That something obviously soured Laois in Sugrue's mind, given he has stepped back into a job like this?

Not everything is a personal attack.
They are relevant points.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Chrimtain

It does look bad for our CB. I doubt that the hours he will have to devote to Kerry u20s will be much less than the time he would give to Laois seniors. What on earth was he looking for that our CB could not provide? If he⁹ does well, it looks certain he will get the senior job down there eventually.

blueandwhite1

I suspect this Kerry U20 thing has been floating around for some time. It is a huge job with massive expectations. They won 5 all Ireland minors in a row and John will be entrusted with transitioning them from minor to senior. If he does well he could well be the next Kerry senior boss with a huge haul of talent at his disposal. Compare those prospects with keeping Laois in division 2, with a very limited pipeline and resources and an unambitious county board.

He's nothing if not cute.

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: Don Draper on October 07, 2019, 11:22:53 PM
Jesus Don

Enjoy the trip to watch Kerry U20's Don,  It never changes in Laois.  New man we all fawn over him, now he f**ks us and gives us two fingers we wish him well.  Could you imagine Sugrue doing it the other way what Kerry would think of him.  Wishing him well what sort of mentality is that.  No doubt Sugrue did a good job but this is self serving.  Quirke is nothing more than a club manager moving up the ladder before he takes his next job promotion with Kerry under 15's.

High Fielder

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on October 08, 2019, 09:16:40 AM
Jesus Don

Enjoy the trip to watch Kerry U20's Don,  It never changes in Laois.  New man we all fawn over him, now he f**ks us and gives us two fingers we wish him well.  Could you imagine Sugrue doing it the other way what Kerry would think of him.  Wishing him well what sort of mentality is that.  No doubt Sugrue did a good job but this is self serving.  Quirke is nothing more than a club manager moving up the ladder before he takes his next job promotion with Kerry under 15's.

Why would we not wish him well? The man gave good service and clearly had a positive impact on Laois. None of us know what happened in the finish, but I'm pretty certain about the conclusion I would draw from Sugrue departing. And if I'm right, that would only make him more honourable in my opinion. That is why I wish him well, and until I hear otherwise, I can only assume that it's another own goal for Laois GAA and its officers.

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: High Fielder on October 08, 2019, 10:49:26 AM
Quote from: thegreeenandgold on October 08, 2019, 09:16:40 AM
Jesus Don

Before going further let me state I think John Sugrue did a good job as Laois Manager.

However your post proves my point

Why would we not wish him well? The man gave good service and clearly had a positive impact on Laois. None of us know what happened in the finish, but I'm pretty certain about the conclusion I would draw from Sugrue departing. And if I'm right, that would only make him more honourable in my opinion. That is why I wish him well, and until I hear otherwise, I can only assume that it's another own goal for Laois GAA and its officers.

First let me say that I think John Sugrue did a good job with Laois.

However your post is clearly proving my point.  You are willing to assume John was right in Laois while also assuming that the County Board was wrong.  I am not saying that your assumption is incorrect but there is no real evidence either ways. Just that you are far more willing to forgive John Sugrue a paid appointee over volunteers who are unpaid.   That saying maybe I should have no gripe with Sugrue moving on as for him Laois was a career move and he can be dispassionate.  I doubt in Kerry he will operate under the same freedom of management that he did in Laois.  But I do genuinely think it's some kick in the teeth for Laois Players & Supporters that he is willing to take what many would think a step down.    This is very much self serving by Sugrue and if you want to cheer lead him in the Kerry job good for you.   As they say we are no longer compatible.

smcder

Lads, it's probable a stepping stone to the Kerry job. The Laois job wouldn't be that.