Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theboss11

How'd the darragh cup game go?

north aontroim gael

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 09, 2015, 08:46:57 PM
Disgusting scenes at the NA minor final tonight. Grown men punching lumps out of each other in the crowd. So many children scared at witnessing that. Hang your heads in Shane.

Agree really bad thing to see at a juvenile game especially.

Dunloy sneaked it by a point after scoring 1-1 in last couple of minutes.

hurlingstick

Ballycastle blew it spectacularly. They should have won easily. The Loughiel player who was doing umpire (I know who he is and the next time I meet him I'll be sharing what I'm about to say) you are a disgrace. Gave a wide from a Dunloy point which split the post from the 21 right under my nose. Then tried to give a square ball against Dunloy (which caused a Dunloy coach to APPROACH him). The ref overruled and correctly so.......TT Butler is a star of the future.

theboss11

That result would be a shock surely! That we team of Ballycastles meant to be full of stars.

hurlingstick

Quote from: theboss11 on May 09, 2015, 09:16:46 PM
That result would be a shock surely! That we team of Ballycastles meant to be full of stars.

In the first 10 minutes Ballycastle played with all the flair and Dunloy were struggling with the basics of the game.BC looked like they'd win easily. Lots of great players. But in the 2nd half Dunloy just wore them down with graft and determination. They'd about 4 or 5 good players themselves.

If you look at all the Darragh cup results, then on paper it looked a close game. You are right though, with the players Ballycastle have I'm guessing they should have won.

Bonamargy

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 09, 2015, 10:18:12 PM

In the first 10 minutes Ballycastle played with all the flair and Dunloy were struggling with the basics of the game.BC looked like they'd win easily. Lots of great players. But in the 2nd half Dunloy just wore them down with graft and determination. They'd about 4 or 5 good players themselves.

If you look at all the Darragh cup results, then on paper it looked a close game. You are right though, with the players Ballycastle have I'm guessing they should have won.

Our boys were certainly the better team and looked great for the first twenty minutes. We should have been home and hosed but left the door open by hitting wide after wide.  Congratulations to Dunloy who hung in there and got the goal and point at the death deep into injury time to get the victory. One that got away.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Bonamargy on May 09, 2015, 11:39:21 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on May 09, 2015, 10:18:12 PM

Our boys were certainly the better team and looked great for the first twenty minutes. We should have been home and hosed but left the door open by hitting wide after wide.  Congratulations to Dunloy who hung in there and got the goal and point at the death deep into injury time to get the victory. One that got away.

i cant agree that ballycastle where the better team or they would have won
they certainly where for the first twenty minutes before our boys woke up and shipped the heavy tackles better after that it was tit for tat
Ballycastle scored 2 points(one from play) in the 2nd half

Hurlingstick
disgraceful scene indeed but lets get some more detail
the only two punches threw was by a ballycastle supporter on a dunloy man. at no time was a punch threw from anyone from dunloy
the only other physical exchanges was dunloy and ballycastle supporters restraining the aggressor
The fan in question should be ashamed of himself in bringing soccer brawl antics to a hurling match
you might have heard different versions but i was in close enough proximity to view the event as it happened
all this happened immediately after the winning free went over the bar
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north aontroim gael

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 09, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
Ballycastle blew it spectacularly. They should have won easily. The Loughiel player who was doing umpire (I know who he is and the next time I meet him I'll be sharing what I'm about to say) you are a disgrace. Gave a wide from a Dunloy point which split the post from the 21 right under my nose. Then tried to give a square ball against Dunloy (which caused a Dunloy coach to APPROACH him). The ref overruled and correctly so.......TT Butler is a star of the future.

I think you need to check your facts. The umpire in question confirmed that it WAS a goal.

I spoke to Malachy after the game and he confirmed as much and said that he apologised to the umpire for his rant. I'm sure if you speak to him he'll confirm the same. It was the Ballycastle players calling for square ball.

north aontroim gael

As far as the row goes I was near the scoreboard so was watching through a crowd of people and couldn't pick out who exactly was involved. I'd appreciate a DM if anyone knows.

I personally thought Ballycastle were the stronger side but just couldn't get the scores on the board. They missed some scoreable frees and dropped about 6-7 shots short in the second half not to mention quite a few wides.

Two good teams though & congrats to Dunloy for toughing it out.

theskull1

How any organisation can legislate for the odd idiot is not an easy task. Lets no be putting shame on the rest. Under great duress restraint was shown and the incident didn't descend into madness because of the calm heads. We should be immensely proud of that.

Delighted with our win tonight. Our boys wouldn't be happy with their performance but they kept at it and no different to Antrim last week got their rewards at the death.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hurlingstick

Quote from: north aontroim gael on May 10, 2015, 12:09:11 AM

I think you need to check your facts. The umpire in question confirmed that it WAS a goal.

I spoke to Malachy after the game and he confirmed as much and said that he apologised to the umpire for his rant. I'm sure if you speak to him he'll confirm the same. It was the Ballycastle players calling for square ball.

Oops I should apologise too!! I read it exactly like Malachy. Looked like he called square ball and told the ref such. He gave wide for a blatant point just previous. Glad to be corrected though!!.... It should also be pointed out the Castle keeper made 4 outstanding saves, so maybe Dunloy were good value for the win. Who is the Ballycastle keeper?

theskull1

Both keepers had really solid performances but yes I think we shaded it on goal chances and the McQuillain keeper produced 2 or 3 top notch saves
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

that'd be right, it's loughgiel's fault.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

hurlingstick

Quote from: theskull1 on May 10, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
How any organisation can legislate for the odd idiot is not an easy task. Lets no be putting shame on the rest. Under great duress restraint was shown and the incident didn't descend into madness because of the calm heads. We should be immensely proud of that.

Delighted with our win tonight. Our boys wouldn't be happy with their performance but they kept at it and no different to Antrim last week got their rewards at the death.

Skull, the fact there were no linesman or umpires for a big game (attendance was impressive) is a serious issue. I imagine reffing a hurling match is very difficult at the best of times. This needs addressing by NA. Think the tensions caused by the officiating were part of the problem last night. This is not a dig at the ref, who tried his best under difficult circumstances.

Last Man

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 10, 2015, 01:19:25 AM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on May 10, 2015, 12:09:11 AM

Oops I should apologise too!! I read it exactly like Malachy. Looked like he called square ball and told the ref such. He gave wide for a blatant point just previous. Glad to be corrected though!!.... It should also be pointed out the Castle keeper made 4 outstanding saves, so maybe Dunloy were good value for the win. Who is the Ballycastle keeper?

Benny Connor I'd say