A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Aren't "they" abusing some Unionist Councillor who went to an East Belfast hurling match?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Saffrongael

Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2022, 03:26:42 PM
Aren't "they" abusing some Unionist Councillor who went to an East Belfast hurling match?

He's an "activist" not a councillor and in fairness I think he used that as an attempt to raise his profile
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

He's had death threats before that boy. Bryson and the lads don't like the reaching out kind of thing. He's still very critical of the GAA I think but at least he did more than just slating it.

That said I dunno who the hell he is but he keeps appearing on my twitter.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 30, 2022, 04:42:31 PM
He's had death threats before that boy. Bryson and the lads don't like the reaching out kind of thing. He's still very critical of the GAA I think but at least he did more than just slating it.

That said I dunno who the hell he is but he keeps appearing on my twitter.

He was giving off last year that he never gets asked on anywhere as a commentator or to write opinion pieces in newspapers so I'm guessing he's trying to raise the profile
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Yeah. If he has a day job I have no idea why he'd want to but then I guess different strokes for different folks etc.

On one hand maybe it's admirable and basically the non nutjob side of unionism needs a voice as opposed to amplifying the nutjobs views.

screenexile

Fair play Jimbo . . .

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/james-nesbitt-wants-new-union-of-ireland-as-he-reveals-project-to-give-voice-to-silent-majority-38287899.html

Talks about a lot of what we've been on about above. "Former" Unionists embracing the inevitable and trying to make a new inclusive society work for everyone!

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2022, 11:46:40 AM
Fair play Jimbo . . .

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/james-nesbitt-wants-new-union-of-ireland-as-he-reveals-project-to-give-voice-to-silent-majority-38287899.html

Talks about a lot of what we've been on about above. "Former" Unionists embracing the inevitable and trying to make a new inclusive society work for everyone!

Only a matter of time before he is 'lundified' and he will probably have the distinction of appearing on some bonfires next year.

It's no coincidence that educated young protestants are often the more progressive in society. Think of the Rory Best, James Nesbitt, Stephen Ferris, Andrew Trimble types. People who have seen a bit of the world instead of being stuck in an insular bubble and howling at the moon from within the 6 counties. Meanwhile those who come from more disadvantaged areas are fed a diet of hatred and sectarianism facilitated by their elected representatives most of whom are simply feathering their own nests and seeking to maintain a level of power and control.   

An Watcher

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how this is received.  Not sure if others will be so brave

michaelg

Quote from: yellowcard on August 31, 2022, 12:28:45 PM
Fair play Jimbo . . .

Only a matter of time before he is 'lundified' and he will probably have the distinction of appearing on some bonfires next year.

It's no coincidence that educated young protestants are often the more progressive in society. Think of the Rory Best, James Nesbitt, Stephen Ferris, Andrew Trimble types. People who have seen a bit of the world instead of being stuck in an insular bubble and howling at the moon from within the 6 counties. Meanwhile those who come from more disadvantaged areas are fed a diet of hatred and sectarianism facilitated by their elected representatives most of whom are simply feathering their own nests and seeking to maintain a level of power and control.   
Not starrting any 'lundification' of Jimmy Nesbitt, but I struggle to see why anyone would pay a blind bit of notice about what he says.  He also seems to stop short of saying where he stands on a border poll, so seems a bit of a non story to me.

Also, somewhat of a sweeping generalisation where you seem to demonise all working class protestant people.  People like Carl Frampton would not fit the stereotype you are pushing above.  Be curious to know if you actually know or work with many Protestant people from disdavantaged areas.

Franko

Quote from: michaelg on August 31, 2022, 10:07:41 PM
Fair play Jimbo . . .

Not starrting any 'lundification' of Jimmy Nesbitt, but I struggle to see why anyone would pay a blind bit of notice about what he says.  He also seems to stop short of saying where he stands on a border poll, so seems a bit of a non story to me.

Also, somewhat of a sweeping generalisation where you seem to demonise all working class protestant people.  People like Carl Frampton would not fit the stereotype you are pushing above.  Be curious to know if you actually know or work with many Protestant people from disdavantaged areas.

Which Protestants from the six counties do you think we should pay a blind bit of notice to?

Who decides?

JPGJOHNNYG

We can add Eddie Irvine and Jamie Dornan to the list of enlightened celebrity themmuns

Franko

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 31, 2022, 10:44:42 PM
We can add Eddie Irvine and Jamie Dornan to the list of enlightened celebrity themmuns

But but but

EG says they don't exist

and

Michaelg says we aren't to listen to them

I suppose that proves that at least one of them is wrong  ;D

ardtole

Just listen yo big Jim McDonald from Coronation Street. He has his finger on the pulse.

yellowcard

Quote from: michaelg on August 31, 2022, 10:07:41 PM
Fair play Jimbo . . .

Except that you're deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I AM demonising the political representatives for those areas who have done nothing to improve the lives of working class protestants. I'm NOT demonising those people themselves many of whom are trapped in estates run by loyalists and can't see a way out of relative poverty. I doubt if I would be welcome in those areas, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable in them and thats not the fault of the people living within them. When you are told often enough that 'themmuns' are the enemies you start to believe it. 

Rossfan

Will the new English PM speed up the process leading to the All Ireland State?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM