A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on March 17, 2021, 01:02:28 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 17, 2021, 12:55:00 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 17, 2021, 11:00:25 AM
Such a sweeping statement when there was a civil war fought in the south over the terms of the treaty which left the 6 counties behind and in the present day opinion polls have shown a consistent desire for a UI in the 26
The politicians have a funny way of showing it. Micheal Martin couldn't come across more indifferent if he tried. For someone who is leader of a party that purports to be Republican, he seems more concerned about SF (and therefore delaying a UI) than he does about promoting reunification of this country. It confirms the impression many people in the north have about FF and FG, all they care about is power - much like the DUP.
A united Ireland is very much a fringe issue in the Republic - at best

It is a total non-issue at election time

The Republic voted to give up its territorial claim over the North in 1998

And so too did Nationalists in the North vote for it to do so

The economy, health, housing and taxes  were the main issues at the last election in the south. Brexit wasn't a factor and a united Ireland was irrelevant to the majority of people.

You think FF/FG are indifferent to reunification, but the reality is it's most of the country. Political parties won't focus their efforts on something that people don't care about and won't get them votes

For most people they want to see a united Ireland in theory but it's a minor issue compared with the likes of above

Snapchap

Quote from: dublin7 on March 17, 2021, 03:00:01 PM
Such a sweeping statement when there was a civil war fought in the south over the terms of the treaty which left the 6 counties behind and in the present day opinion polls have shown a consistent desire for a UI in the 26
The politicians have a funny way of showing it. Micheal Martin couldn't come across more indifferent if he tried. For someone who is leader of a party that purports to be Republican, he seems more concerned about SF (and therefore delaying a UI) than he does about promoting reunification of this country. It confirms the impression many people in the north have about FF and FG, all they care about is power - much like the DUP.

The economy, health, housing and taxes  were the main issues at the last election in the south. Brexit wasn't a factor and a united Ireland was irrelevant to the majority of people.

You think FF/FG are indifferent to reunification, but the reality is it's most of the country. Political parties won't focus their efforts on something that people don't care about and won't get them votes

For most people they want to see a united Ireland in theory but it's a minor issue compared with the likes of above

And it's to the eternal shame of any Irish person in the 26 counties if they regard the independence of their own country as "a minor issue". The sort of people that wouldn't know a principle if it jimped up and bit them in the ass.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Christ Almighty. The vast majority of nationalist envy the South for having freedom and independence. there are however a few tools spoiling for a fight. it is true that some in the Republic view the North as a foreign country, possibly a sizeable few but I'd say that given the right circumstances and that is a two way street, unity would be no issue. Bating our Southern brothers and constance reference to the Freestate does not help.

Rossfan

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2021, 04:36:22 PM
Good jases more pontification!!

A Free Stater complaining about someone from the north pontificating...I've seen it all now!

Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 17, 2021, 04:42:28 PM
Christ Almighty. The vast majority of nationalist envy the South for having freedom and independence. there are however a few tools spoiling for a fight. it is true that some in the Republic view the North as a foreign country, possibly a sizeable few but I'd say that given the right circumstances and that is a two way street, unity would be no issue. Bating our Southern brothers and constance reference to the Freestate does not help.

And what does the esablishment figureheads of the 26 consistently playing political games with victims of the troubles achieve?

Northern nationalists have been treated with contempt from the southern counterparts for decades, we shouldn't be afraid to call it out for what it is.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Quote from: Snapchap on March 17, 2021, 04:53:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2021, 04:36:22 PM
Good jases more pontification!!

A Free Stater complaining about someone from the north pontificating...I've seen it all now!
Still so blind 😪
Irish Free State was abolished 31/12/1937.
Any "Free Staters"(sic) alive now are all over 83.

Hopefully when the Referendum comes it will be people like Apples promoting a yes vote not blind hate filled bigots.

Snapchap

there are however a few tools spoiling for a fight.

Not spoiling for a fight in the slightest. I didn't say what I said in search of a reaction. I said it because it's my total belief. There are people in the south who believe it was morally right and necessary that our forefathers went to war and killed people for the sake of their independence and, in the starkest of contrasts, regard the aspiration of independence of those left behind as "a minor issue". I make no apology for regarding such people as being utterly contemptible.

J70

Quote from: Snapchap on March 17, 2021, 04:30:56 PM

And it's to the eternal shame of any Irish person in the 26 counties if they regard the independence of their own country as "a minor issue". The sort of people that wouldn't know a principle if it jimped up and bit them in the ass.

Most people are concerned day to day with family, school, work, money, chasing women etc. And given that reunification has not been a live political issue or prospect for most people alive in the south, its hardly going to be at the forefront of their thinking, politically, especially for those living far from the border. The south is not the north, were unification is a majorly divisive topic and the Troubles were a real, everyday part of life. Most people in the south would support reunificiation in theory, and, IMO would happily endorse a united Ireland if it actually came down to it. For years though, its been neither divisive enough nor a sufficiently realistic prospect that it would be a subject of debate or emotion in the south.

The only person I ever had a debate with in my life about NI politics and a united Ireland was a protestant woman from the north I went out with years ago. Everyone else I knew was pretty much of the same mind: we wish the north could become/remain peaceful and normal, and if it every became a possibility, we'd like to see a united Ireland. Outside of that, there was nothing to get exercised about among the vast majority of Irish people in the south.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on March 17, 2021, 05:11:31 PM

Most people are concerned day to day with family, school, work, money, chasing women etc. And given that reunification has not been a live political issue or prospect for most people alive in the south, its hardly going to be at the forefront of their thinking, politically, especially for those living far from the border. The south is not the north, were unification is a majorly divisive topic and the Troubles were a real, everyday part of life. Most people in the south would support reunificiation in theory, and, IMO would happily endorse a united Ireland if it actually came down to it. For years though, its been neither divisive enough nor a sufficiently realistic prospect that it would be a subject of debate or emotion in the south.

The only person I ever had a debate with in my life about NI politics and a united Ireland was a protestant woman from the north I went out with years ago. Everyone else I knew was pretty much of the same mind: we wish the north could become/remain peaceful and normal, and if it every became a possibility, we'd like to see a united Ireland. Outside of that, there was nothing to get exercised about among the vast majority of Irish people in the south.

And what's your take of southern politicians of FFG launching into a "But the IRA" type deflect tactics when one party brings up legacy issues of innocent troubles victims? What has the free state establishment ever done for victims of British state terrorism on this island?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 05:17:29 PM

And what's your take of southern politicians of FFG launching into a "But the IRA" type deflect tactics when one party brings up legacy issues of innocent troubles victims? What has the free state establishment ever done for victims of British state terrorism on this island?

I can't speak to that Angelo.

I've been in the US close to two decades now, so I'm not up to date on day to day hand waving or hypocrisy of leading Irish politicians.

My point was a more general one about what could be perceived, probably correctly, as complacency or indifference on the part of the general southern population with respect to the lives of people in the north. If it came down to it, I'm sure many of us would also have the same disconnect with what goes on or went on in inner city Dublin or Limerick.

Snapchap

I've no doubt that a majority are in favour of reunification, but the reality is that there is a significant number of people in the south who are deeply partitionist. The latest opinion poll in the south showed something like a third of those polled who said they just did not want a united Ireland.

And I 100% understand that people are most concerned about their own family/work/school etc. Believe it or not, people's daily priorities in the north are identical. That doesn't mean other things can't be regarded as important too. Or that an "I'm alright Jack" attitude is excusable. People in the south can want the best for family/work etc, and still regard the fact that their own country is partitioned as being more than some "minor issue".

dublin7

Quote from: Snapchap on March 17, 2021, 05:09:08 PM

Not spoiling for a fight in the slightest. I didn't say what I said in search of a reaction. I said it because it's my total belief. There are people in the south who believe it was morally right and necessary that our forefathers went to war and killed people for the sake of their independence and, in the starkest of contrasts, regard the aspiration of independence of those left behind as "a minor issue". I make no apology for regarding such people as being utterly contemptible.

You clearly have utter contempt for the majority of the south then. For the vast majority buying a house, access to healthcare, a job and what taxes they pay is far more important than demanding a unified Ireland. You consider that some sort of insult or a lack of Irish patriotism, for us it's just our priorities in life are different to yours. Personally I don't feel a lack of anger at the fact we don't have a united Ireland makes me any less Irish

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on March 17, 2021, 05:31:33 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on March 17, 2021, 05:09:08 PM

You clearly have utter contempt for the majority of the south then. For the vast majority buying a house, access to healthcare, a job and what taxes they pay is far more important than demanding a unified Ireland. You consider that some sort of insult or a lack of Irish patriotism, for us it's just our priorities in life are different to yours. Personally I don't feel a lack of anger at the fact we don't have a united Ireland makes me any less Irish
The majority of people in the North have the same priorities as people in the South - though I think that's more the case for Irish nationalists than British unionists

But ironically, it seems to me that a lot of Northern nationalists who vilify people in the Republic for viewing a united Ireland as a fringe issue cannot get their head around the deep emotional attachment to the UK among many Unionists and expect them to just fall in line if and when a united Ireland ever comes to pass

It's very ironic that some people whose obsession with a flag overrides all other issues cannot comprehend anybody on "the other side" having an obsession with a flag that overrides all other issues

If and when a border poll is ever held in the Republic, it'll pass easily, because the people who are vilified on here as "west Brits" will be leading the Yes campaign - they will win over the middle ground with ease

The NI one would be a sectarian headcount which explodes tensions into violence among extremists