A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

As has been said by many SF and some of their camp followers are the last people needed to be pushing for a UI.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: LeoMc on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 30, 2021, 08:16:44 PM
Do you think the authorities, if Shinners are in a position of power, whether in full control of in a majority position, will let these scum dictate future, it's not going to happen. They will be wiped out, finally. And people from unionist community who want to participate in true democracy will have that, where they have big say in new Ireland, where they won't be treated way they treated Irish people under their apartheid statlet.
Are you advocating a bit of ethnic cleansing?
Why not try a bit of shoot to kill and internment to see if that teaches them to keep their head down and know their place?

Most likely they will be sent away for a 20 year stretch and we know loyalism only really liked to enforce their reign of terror when they had impunity to do so.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on January 31, 2021, 01:54:46 PM
As has been said by many SF and some of their camp followers are the last people needed to be pushing for a UI.

So you keep saying but who exactly are you? A partitionist FFG voter.

We see the utter contempt you have for working class people with every post you make. We know you support corrupt practices and measures that reinforces classism and elitism in society by the politics you espouse and parties you endorse. It is your own sate, your own establishment parties who for decades previous have done everything in their power to enforce partitionism and protect your vested interested.

I sense the worry from you recently, as a UI becomes more and more likely, you are now driving an illogical message about how SF are going to scupper it. Newsflash for you but it's the rise in popularity of SF as a political party on this island that is driving the United Ireland debate right now and you're scared about the potential of your elitist society seeing some redress.

BennyCake

Do you think the authorities, if Shinners are in a position of power, whether in full control of in a majority position, will let these scum dictate future, it's not going to happen. They will be wiped out, finally. And people from unionist community who want to participate in true democracy will have that, where they have big say in new Ireland, where they won't be treated way they treated Irish people under their apartheid statlet.
Why not try a bit of shoot to kill and internment to see if that teaches them to keep their head down and know their place?

I've noticed some people comment on here about accommodating unionists in a UI, while at the same time saying if they don't like it they can piss off back to England.

As much as I'd like to think nationalists (north and south)  would be mature about a UI and not to behave like some unionists did towards Catholics in the north, I know many won't. They'll be as bad as what some unionists were.

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on January 31, 2021, 02:10:55 PM

I've noticed some people comment on here about accommodating unionists in a UI, while at the same time saying if they don't like it they can piss off back to England.

As much as I'd like to think nationalists would be mature about a UI and not to behave like some unionists did towards Catholics in the north, I know many won't. They'll be as bad as what some unionists were.

Red hander can speak for himself but from the way I read that he was referring to violent loyalism will be wiped out if they kick up when this thing happens. I really don't think things will get any worse than the type of fleg protests we had when the City Hall debacle broke out. This time loyalists don't have the state won't be having sectarian killers on the payroll and kept on the street. They will be sent away for 20 years.

general_lee

As much as I'd like to think nationalists (north and south)  would be mature about a UI and not to behave like some unionists did towards Catholics in the north, I know many won't. They'll be as bad as what some unionists were.
In my eyes loyalists (not all unionists) are as bad as racists, neo Nazis, fascists etc. I haven't a good thing to say about any of them, and if they disappeared of the face of the earth in the morning I wouldn't bat an eyelid. I have never in my life encountered a reasonable, rational, loyalist. For every David Ervine there's 100k c***ts. They're welcome in a United ireland and I support any measures taken to protect their British identity, but that will never be good enough. They've put up their para flags and attacked a Catholic Church this week.

red hander

Quote from: Angelo on January 31, 2021, 02:15:12 PM

As much as I'd like to think nationalists would be mature about a UI and not to behave like some unionists did towards Catholics in the north, I know many won't. They'll be as bad as what some unionists were.

Red hander can speak for himself but from the way I read that he was referring to violent loyalism will be wiped out if they kick up when this thing happens. I really don't think things will get any worse than the type of fleg protests we had when the City Hall debacle broke out. This time loyalists don't have the state won't be having sectarian killers on the payroll and kept on the street. They will be sent away for 20 years.

This. Sorry, should have been clearer (few beers on board). Obviously didn't mean anything like 'ethnic cleansing'. The extremists won't have protection of their puppet masters and will be scooped. Unfortunately, people will be killed, like they always have been when loyalists have been whipped up by their politicians, but they are running out of road.

michaelg

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2021, 01:28:09 PM

Yeah that kind of language is a disgrace and a glimpse maybe for unionists of what they fear. Remove it please
Nail on head. Some fairly unpleasant comments on this thread.  Yet it's always argued on here that bigotry is a one way street.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on January 31, 2021, 06:09:08 PM

Yeah that kind of language is a disgrace and a glimpse maybe for unionists of what they fear. Remove it please
Nail on head. Some fairly unpleasant comments on this thread.  Yet it's always argued on here that bigotry is a one way street.

I don't think anyone can argue that sectarianism is a one way street. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous. I have known many unionists and loyalists, get on well with them all . I live in area where historically sectarianism from either side wouldn't be tolerated. The "not an inch" stance from unionist politicians is not representative of Unionists I know. Very few unionists will admit to voting DUP  but most do. This is probably because they fear losing their uk link( which I respect) , and as result they vote for the strongest unionist party ( currently DUP) to keep SF from securing the largest party mantle ( which I understand) . I am unashamedly "republican/nationalist" in the sense that I have always had a strong desire for a United Ireland, even when it made no economic sense. However if that " United Ireland" marginalised those from a "unionist/loyalist" tradition , I want no part of it. Both sides have visited terrible tragedy on each other. Regardless of the rationale behind the conflict , there have been thousands of victims, and 27 years after the ceasefire , we still drag our heels regarding dealing with unresolved hurt. I think the economic and political barriers to an All Island solution are largely gone, but any attempt to move on has to be pro-active in healing the hurt on both sides.

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on January 31, 2021, 08:11:06 PM

I don't think anyone can argue that sectarianism is a one way street. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous. I have known many unionists and loyalists, get on well with them all . I live in area where historically sectarianism from either side wouldn't be tolerated. The "not an inch" stance from unionist politicians is not representative of Unionists I know. Very few unionists will admit to voting DUP  but most do. This is probably because they fear losing their uk link( which I respect) , and as result they vote for the strongest unionist party ( currently DUP) to keep SF from securing the largest party mantle ( which I understand) . I am unashamedly "republican/nationalist" in the sense that I have always had a strong desire for a United Ireland, even when it made no economic sense. However if that " United Ireland" marginalised those from a "unionist/loyalist" tradition , I want no part of it. Both sides have visited terrible tragedy on each other. Regardless of the rationale behind the conflict , there have been thousands of victims, and 27 years after the ceasefire , we still drag our heels regarding dealing with unresolved hurt. I think the economic and political barriers to an All Island solution are largely gone, but any attempt to move on has to be pro-active in healing the hurt on both sides.

Has anyone commented on not catering for unionist needs and concerns here?

I think the commentary has been on the utter bile in political unionism and how their intransigence will inevitably lead to problems.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on January 31, 2021, 10:33:57 PM

I think the commentary has been on the utter bile in political unionism and how their intransigence will inevitably lead to problems.

Unionist intransigence was backed up by British support , and economic and other genuine concerns regarding the ROI. If Scotland breaks up the union, NI as we know it is gone. No loss tbh as it's been an unmitigated disaster on most measures. Regardless of this, concerns regarding the economy and role of Catholicism in The ROI no longer exist. Unionists' allies in the uK - the Tories, have shafted them. Unionist politicians should now try to promote a new constitutional arrangement for the island that cements their Britishness  (in the same way as they signed up for a similar role for irishness in Ni, in the GFA) . There is an agreed solution possible for long term stability but it doesn't involve NI ( proven disaster) as we know it.

The Ni 100 anniversary is a timely opportunity to reflect and learn. Britain's role in offloading the 26 and retaining ~90% of the GDP in the wee 6, and cementing it with a contrived sectarian statelet backfired as Ni had been an unmitigated disaster. Unionists would be well advised to have muted "celebrations" for NI100, and prove that they have learnt the lessons of the past , whilst trying to harness maximum respect for their identity in a New Ireland. Exciting times ahead

Milltown Row2

Think red hander had a few things to say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: 6th sam on January 31, 2021, 11:07:55 PM

Unionist intransigence was backed up by British support , and economic and other genuine concerns regarding the ROI. If Scotland breaks up the union, NI as we know it is gone. No loss tbh as it's been an unmitigated disaster on most measures. Regardless of this, concerns regarding the economy and role of Catholicism in The ROI no longer exist. Unionists' allies in the uK - the Tories, have shafted them. Unionist politicians should now try to promote a new constitutional arrangement for the island that cements their Britishness  (in the same way as they signed up for a similar role for irishness in Ni, in the GFA) . There is an agreed solution possible for long term stability but it doesn't involve NI ( proven disaster) as we know it.

The Ni 100 anniversary is a timely opportunity to reflect and learn. Britain's role in offloading the 26 and retaining ~90% of the GDP in the wee 6, and cementing it with a contrived sectarian statelet backfired as Ni had been an unmitigated disaster. Unionists would be well advised to have muted "celebrations" for NI100, and prove that they have learnt the lessons of the past , whilst trying to harness maximum respect for their identity in a New Ireland. Exciting times ahead

They couldn't even work together on the pandemic on an all island basis (although they weren't the only ones(). A decision to follow Worzel Gummidge and his genocide party's policies. A time when it made total sense to treat the whole island as a single entity to prevent the spread. They couldn't. They had to grab their union flag. Even the most bitter, staunch unionist I'm sure could have seen the sense in it. Even Jamie B did! How many people have perished so far due to the north/South failure to work together?

Unionist parties will never work towards a new Ireland even if the inevitability of it is staring them in the face. They'll go down with the sinking ship that is Norn Iron.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on February 01, 2021, 12:35:59 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 31, 2021, 11:07:55 PM

They couldn't even work together on the pandemic on an all island basis (although they weren't the only ones(). A decision to follow Worzel Gummidge and his genocide party's policies. A time when it made total sense to treat the whole island as a single entity to prevent the spread. They couldn't. They had to grab their union flag. Even the most bitter, staunch unionist I'm sure could have seen the sense in it. Even Jamie B did! How many people have perished so far due to the north/South failure to work together?

Unionist parties will never work towards a new Ireland even if the inevitability of it is staring them in the face. They'll go down with the sinking ship that is Norn Iron.

The clue is in the name.....

That battle will never be won, but the one for the middle ground, the persuadable ones, can be won on economic grounds and the quality of public services and all that goes with it.

Talk of if they don't like it they can go back to Scotland, England and wherever is just childish bullshít and counterproductive.

These Unionists are born and reared here and every bit as part of the fabric of this new Ireland as much as anyone else and this new Ireland will need to be accommodating to them.