A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 07, 2018, 04:25:15 PM
While Davitts GAC are fully entitled to hire out their club to anyone they want, they could have choose not to hire their clubhouse to Sinn Féin to show for a film and talk about the Gibraltar 3 last Sunday.

I suspect that wandering into a Falls Road club for a kick about would be difficult enough for even the (lesser spotted) open-minded unionist.  Seeing that event going on down the corridor while you togged out in the dressing room might impede any outreach program.

As I say they are in within their rights (although the fact the posters had Sinn Féin logo could sail close to the wind in terms of rule 1.11) but looking from a far I am not sure it would align with the work of the Ulster GAA outreach program that Michael Hasson has been supporting. 

If they were to host some of the "busting the myths" talks, our a game of 3 halves, that day or even in the run up I think it could have an adverse effect on the participants?

Maybe that a soft Free Stater but that's how it looks from afar.  Equally it could be is that part of the outreach goals is for unionists to become comfortable with Provo events.

/Jim.

Edit:  link to Sinn Féin twitter: https://twitter.com/belfastsinnfein/status/968905357132222465

All of us GAA fans often wax lyrical about clubs being central to their community.  Davitt's GAC are no different from any other club in the country in that regard, they reflect the community from which they draw their support.

And as I said they are entitled to that.  They could however consider how to try to expand that community. 

If individual clubs don't want to do that, fair enough.  Then however, it leaves Ulster GAA open to the accusation that their Outreach program is purely for show and sound bite purposes.

/Jim.

smelmoth

While Davitts GAC are fully entitled to hire out their club to anyone they want, they could have choose not to hire their clubhouse to Sinn Féin to show for a film and talk about the Gibraltar 3 last Sunday.

I suspect that wandering into a Falls Road club for a kick about would be difficult enough for even the (lesser spotted) open-minded unionist.  Seeing that event going on down the corridor while you togged out in the dressing room might impede any outreach program.

As I say they are in within their rights (although the fact the posters had Sinn Féin logo could sail close to the wind in terms of rule 1.11) but looking from a far I am not sure it would align with the work of the Ulster GAA outreach program that Michael Hasson has been supporting. 

If they were to host some of the "busting the myths" talks, our a game of 3 halves, that day or even in the run up I think it could have an adverse effect on the participants?

Maybe that a soft Free Stater but that's how it looks from afar.  Equally it could be is that part of the outreach goals is for unionists to become comfortable with Provo events.

/Jim.

Edit:  link to Sinn Féin twitter: https://twitter.com/belfastsinnfein/status/968905357132222465

All of us GAA fans often wax lyrical about clubs being central to their community.  Davitt's GAC are no different from any other club in the country in that regard, they reflect the community from which they draw their support.

It a view they are entitled to

It's a narrow view. It's not particularly helpful

There can't be anything wrong with pointing that out

ONARAGGATIP

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2018, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 07, 2018, 03:18:27 PM
Being allowed to play Gaelic games?

If the GAA heads in the north stopped naming clubs after terrorists and playing the Republic's national anthem (seemingly as much as a fûck you to the other side as any nationalistic statement) it mightn't be such an issue.

The only time either side hear the word compromise is when we play the Aussies in Autumn.

why have you such bitterness towards your fellow Gaels in the north, was losing to Down that bad for you? It was only a league game, get over it fella.

Syferus

Quote from: ONARAGGATIP on March 07, 2018, 05:19:01 PM

If the GAA heads in the north stopped naming clubs after terrorists and playing the Republic's national anthem (seemingly as much as a fûck you to the other side as any nationalistic statement) it mightn't be such an issue.

The only time either side hear the word compromise is when we play the Aussies in Autumn.

why have you such bitterness towards your fellow Gaels in the north, was losing to Down that bad for you? It was only a league game, get over it fella.

?

AQMP

Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

/Jim.

Not helpful to what or whom?

ONARAGGATIP

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2018, 05:22:08 PM
Quote from: ONARAGGATIP on March 07, 2018, 05:19:01 PM

?

you say in your post we play the republics national anthem as if it is not ours also, you say we do it as fcuk you to the other side which is nonsense, you accuse us of never compromising.

Farrandeelin

What a warped post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 07, 2018, 05:39:51 PM

What a warped post.

Disagreeing that both things are not intrinsic to the GAA and should be reigned as a first step towards a point in the future when all sides in the north can feel comfortable playing the most popular sport on this island is what's warped. I love gaelic football; I couldn't care less about the jingoistic element of the sport in the north.

If you disagree with the goal of inclusion we have a serious problem here. Inclusion means compromise.

red hander

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2018, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 07, 2018, 05:39:51 PM

What a warped post.

Disagreeing that both things are not intrinsic to the GAA and should be reigned as a first step towards a point in the future when all sides in the north can feel comfortable playing the most popular sport on this island is what's warped. I love gaelic football; I couldn't care less about the jingoistic element of the sport in the north.

If you disagree with the goal of inclusion we have a serious problem here. Inclusion means compromise.

Holy f**k.  ::)

michaelg

Quote from: johnnycool on March 07, 2018, 10:12:37 AM
Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 07:20:51 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2018, 10:22:15 AM
As an East Coast dweller where the protestants are still very much in the majority they're very insular and unaware that in large swathes of the six counties there is huge nationalist majorities and a thriving nationalist culture that they're totally unaware and oblivious of.

For instance I was talking to a lad from Ballywalter heavily involved in youth soccer and he couldn't understand why young fellas on his team would play hurling instead of soccer as he'd to cancel one of their games as we were taking an U12 team to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt.
I had to explain to him that these lads would by and large see their senior club hurlers play and there'd be a couple of hundred at it, a family day out almost and more at club championship games and other than what they see on TV for the premiership they don't see any other soccer games, not live anyway and even those that possibly did, there would be one man and his dog watching.
I was even telling him that we'd taken them down to Croke park to see an AI hurling semi-final and there was almost 60K at it. He hadn't a clue and I'd bet is totally representative of people from those types of areas.

Time they were educated.
A bit of a broadbrush don't you think?  Most Protestants on the East Coast have a good idea about the popularity of Gaelic Games, both in NI, as well as in Ireland on the whole.
It's interesting how you equate Gaelic Games with a thriving nationalist culture.  Perhaps that's the problem.  Sport should have f-all to do with nationalism / politics.  Until times change and politics is kept out of sport, you can do all the outreach you like, but it will probably not have much impact on East Coast dwelling Protestants taking much of an interest in Gaelic Games.
Finally, you are not necessarily insular if you choose not to take an interest in something.  As someone who is interested in many sports but was not brought up to play Gaelic Sports, I have tried on many occasions to watch Gaelic Games on TV and even attended an Ulster Gaelic Football Final, but I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me.  Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?

The GAA was founded for reasons not exclusively sporting, and I for one would be disappointed if it ceased to also be a cultural organisation that promoted Gaelic culture and supported the development of an inclusive Irish identity that it was originally founded to help nurture and protect.

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
  Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?

I can't speak for johnnycool, but I don't believe so, as they are minority sports on this island. They are even minority sports within the Six Counties. I think cricket is a good game, like to see Ireland do well, watch it if it's on TV and have even tried it in the past, but it's not even in the top 5 sports in the north. If it were the most popular sport in the north, or even within the unionist community, with widespread media coverage of the local game, then yes I would consider a nationalist as insular for not having any real knowledge of cricket.
As things stand, it's hardly inclusive from an "East Coast dwelling Protestant's" perspective.  Quite the opposite in fact.  As such, you cannot really accuse Protestants of insularity if they don't buy into it.
As for your second point, where Gaelic Games are minority sports in predominantly Protestant areas, by the same argument you could also say that Protestants are not being insular by having limited interest in GAA.

I'd have enough general interest in sport to know if 30 odd thousand people turned up to watch Lisnagarvey play Belfast Harlequins in an Irish cup game. I don't buy into hockey or even cricket, but am well aware of its existence and how popular it is.

Is there nationalists into sport unaware of Linfield, the Glens or Coleraine, there may be but I'd very much doubt that.

Being insular and insulated from various sports and culture isn't a one way street but lets be honest if I was to watch sport from BBC NI I'd be led to believe that Ulster rugby, soccer and motorbikes are a stable diet with gaelic football confined to the summer months.
I'd bet most sporting prods have never heard of Slaughneil yet four or five thousand would have been at their recent championship games.

If they watch the local sports bulletins, of course they will.  Do you expect a daily 5 minute GAA update throughout the year?  Local sports are now covered fairly evenly these days.

smelmoth

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 05:31:38 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on March 07, 2018, 05:13:49 PM

/Jim.

Not helpful to what or whom?

Not helpful in building a society based upon respect in this part of world.
Not helpful in building a society where all can live amicably side by side
Not helpful in the GAA being able to say its fully playing its part in these civic aims
Not helpful in the GAA getting to tap into a bigger market for players, volunteers and revenue

Eamonnca1

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. It'd do no harm for the GAA to tone down the nationalistic rhetoric in the north in the interests of making itself more accessible to people with a northern protestant background. If they find the naming convention of clubs and competitions to be off-putting then I think that's a legitimate concern. If someone from Portadown wanted to recruit me into his hockey club but it was called "Billy Wright's," flew a union flag at the grounds, and played The Queen before matches I don't think I'd feel terribly safe or welcome going there.

Come on lads, we should be able to do a better job of this. By nailing their colours to the nationalist mast some people in the GAA sometimes undermine their own objectives. Protestants playing Gaelic games in big numbers would do far more to make Irish reunification smoother and easier than butting heads and being confrontational about it.

general_lee

Do we then have a mass renaming of GAA clubs so that Unionists (majority of whom will not care for the GAA either way) or can we not just promote and educate as much as possible without the need to change the name of one "offensive" hurling club in north derry?

Mayo Mick

Was Michael Glavey a terrorist? Have you proposed renaming your club?

https://sites.google.com/site/michaelglaveysgaa/michaelglaveytheman

https://sites.google.com/site/michaelglaveysgaa/michaelglaveytheman
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: general_lee on March 07, 2018, 07:49:06 PM
Do we then have a mass renaming of GAA clubs so that Unionists (majority of whom will not care for the GAA either way) or can we not just promote and educate as much as possible without the need to change the name of one "offensive" hurling club in north derry?

It's only a small number of clubs and competitions that are questionable. A good start would be a rule that says any new club can't be named after anyone that was notable for political or politically motivated activity within the last fifty years. Robert Emmet and James Connoly would be fine, Bobby Sands would not. Later, hopefully after more protestants come on board, we could expand the rule and make it retrospective to cover existing clubs and competitions.