A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on March 06, 2018, 03:04:20 PM
MR2, I'm not saying drive the wedge further.

Two lads are schoolmates. Is the catholic lad comfortable going to his Protestant mates estate adorned with UVF murals, Union flags, painted kerbstones, rangers shirts? Is he comfortable with having a kick around surrounding by that? Are his parents confit table with it? And vice versa for the Protestant lad.

In a neutral environment it's ok, but integrated education ain't going to solve the fact that we are two tribes, totally different in most aspects and way of thinking.

I'm not saying give up totally. But the politics and politicans here have a lot to answer for. Their aim is to keep everything divided, create division and that filters down to both sides. That includes local councillors, MPs, Stormont and Westminster MPs and the British and Irish government.
Err, sounds like it's your aim too.

BennyCake

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 05:40:55 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 06, 2018, 03:04:20 PM
MR2, I'm not saying drive the wedge further.

Two lads are schoolmates. Is the catholic lad comfortable going to his Protestant mates estate adorned with UVF murals, Union flags, painted kerbstones, rangers shirts? Is he comfortable with having a kick around surrounding by that? Are his parents confit table with it? And vice versa for the Protestant lad.

In a neutral environment it's ok, but integrated education ain't going to solve the fact that we are two tribes, totally different in most aspects and way of thinking.

I'm not saying give up totally. But the politics and politicans here have a lot to answer for. Their aim is to keep everything divided, create division and that filters down to both sides. That includes local councillors, MPs, Stormont and Westminster MPs and the British and Irish government.
Err, sounds like it's your aim too.

I'm only being realistic. Integrated education aint all it's cracked up to be.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 06, 2018, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 06, 2018, 01:26:01 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 06, 2018, 01:24:57 PM
No matter about social contributions from the GAA or whatever, the 6 counties will never be properly normalised until education is integrated.

Yep, 100% right and there is no appetite for it on either side

Integrated education is the only way forward, I was the first person in Omagh to begin primary school education and go the whole way through to 7th year in Drumragh college when it opened in 1995. It was an excellent experience.

Mnder, don't fully agree with your sentiment. I don't know the story in other parts of the north but Drumragh is the only school in Omagh that has to turn down applications. In fact, they secured funding to increase capacity just last year. 

http://ulsterherald.com/2017/09/22/drumragh-college-gets-approval-increase-enrolment/

I think you will find that the three grammar schools have always been over subscribed.  DIC has had a major impact on the non-selective schools.  Omagh High has fought back and stabilised through working with the academy.

DIC is not an Integrated school by the required definition that it must have a minimum of 30% of the minority community and it has never breached 26% Protestant even when parents were encouraged to declare no religion rather than Catholic to help out.  It has been responsible for assisting in the close of secondary schools in Castlederg and Plumbridge while decimating the intake to SHC.  DIC has become socially more acceptable than a Catholic non-selective school and it will be interesting to see what happens when the two Catholic grammar schools shoot themselves in the foot by removing selection and still try to be grammar schools.

Owen Brannigan

Integration is not the first priority for our school system.  It needs a top to bottom reform to meet the needs of the economy and the young people but it is shaped and controlled for the benefit of the institutions/schools and their preservation.

michaelg

Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2018, 10:22:15 AM
As an East Coast dweller where the protestants are still very much in the majority they're very insular and unaware that in large swathes of the six counties there is huge nationalist majorities and a thriving nationalist culture that they're totally unaware and oblivious of.

For instance I was talking to a lad from Ballywalter heavily involved in youth soccer and he couldn't understand why young fellas on his team would play hurling instead of soccer as he'd to cancel one of their games as we were taking an U12 team to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt.
I had to explain to him that these lads would by and large see their senior club hurlers play and there'd be a couple of hundred at it, a family day out almost and more at club championship games and other than what they see on TV for the premiership they don't see any other soccer games, not live anyway and even those that possibly did, there would be one man and his dog watching.
I was even telling him that we'd taken them down to Croke park to see an AI hurling semi-final and there was almost 60K at it. He hadn't a clue and I'd bet is totally representative of people from those types of areas.

Time they were educated.
A bit of a broadbrush don't you think?  Most Protestants on the East Coast have a good idea about the popularity of Gaelic Games, both in NI, as well as in Ireland on the whole.
It's interesting how you equate Gaelic Games with a thriving nationalist culture.  Perhaps that's the problem.  Sport should have f-all to do with nationalism / politics.  Until times change and politics is kept out of sport, you can do all the outreach you like, but it will probably not have much impact on East Coast dwelling Protestants taking much of an interest in Gaelic Games.
Finally, you are not necessarily insular if you choose not to take an interest in something.  As someone who is interested in many sports but was not brought up to play Gaelic Sports, I have tried on many occasions to watch Gaelic Games on TV and even attended an Ulster Gaelic Football Final, but I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me.  Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
As an East Coast dweller where the protestants are still very much in the majority they're very insular and unaware that in large swathes of the six counties there is huge nationalist majorities and a thriving nationalist culture that they're totally unaware and oblivious of.

For instance I was talking to a lad from Ballywalter heavily involved in youth soccer and he couldn't understand why young fellas on his team would play hurling instead of soccer as he'd to cancel one of their games as we were taking an U12 team to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt.
I had to explain to him that these lads would by and large see their senior club hurlers play and there'd be a couple of hundred at it, a family day out almost and more at club championship games and other than what they see on TV for the premiership they don't see any other soccer games, not live anyway and even those that possibly did, there would be one man and his dog watching.
I was even telling him that we'd taken them down to Croke park to see an AI hurling semi-final and there was almost 60K at it. He hadn't a clue and I'd bet is totally representative of people from those types of areas.

Time they were educated.
A bit of a broadbrush don't you think?  Most Protestants on the East Coast have a good idea about the popularity of Gaelic Games, both in NI, as well as in Ireland on the whole.
It's interesting how you equate Gaelic Games with a thriving nationalist culture.  Perhaps that's the problem.  Sport should have f-all to do with nationalism / politics.  Until times change and politics is kept out of sport, you can do all the outreach you like, but it will probably not have much impact on East Coast dwelling Protestants taking much of an interest in Gaelic Games.
Finally, you are not necessarily insular if you choose not to take an interest in something.  As someone who is interested in many sports but was not brought up to play Gaelic Sports, I have tried on many occasions to watch Gaelic Games on TV and even attended an Ulster Gaelic Football Final, but I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me.  Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?
Sport has nothing to do with politics in normal societies.
NI is not a normal society.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OgraAnDun

Time they were educated.

The GAA was founded for reasons not exclusively sporting, and I for one would be disappointed if it ceased to also be a cultural organisation that promoted Gaelic culture and supported the development of an inclusive Irish identity that it was originally founded to help nurture and protect.

Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?

I can't speak for johnnycool, but I don't believe so, as they are minority sports on this island. They are even minority sports within the Six Counties. I think cricket is a good game, like to see Ireland do well, watch it if it's on TV and have even tried it in the past, but it's not even in the top 5 sports in the north. If it were the most popular sport in the north, or even within the unionist community, with widespread media coverage of the local game, then yes I would consider a nationalist as insular for not having any real knowledge of cricket.

michaelg

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM

Time they were educated.

The GAA was founded for reasons not exclusively sporting, and I for one would be disappointed if it ceased to also be a cultural organisation that promoted Gaelic culture and supported the development of an inclusive Irish identity that it was originally founded to help nurture and protect.

Would a catholic raised in NI be classed as insular in your view if they had no real knowledge or had little or no interst in sports such as hockey and cricket?

I can't speak for johnnycool, but I don't believe so, as they are minority sports on this island. They are even minority sports within the Six Counties. I think cricket is a good game, like to see Ireland do well, watch it if it's on TV and have even tried it in the past, but it's not even in the top 5 sports in the north. If it were the most popular sport in the north, or even within the unionist community, with widespread media coverage of the local game, then yes I would consider a nationalist as insular for not having any real knowledge of cricket.
As things stand, it's hardly inclusive from an "East Coast dwelling Protestant's" perspective.  Quite the opposite in fact.  As such, you cannot really accuse Protestants of insularity if they don't buy into it.
As for your second point, where Gaelic Games are minority sports in predominantly Protestant areas, by the same argument you could also say that Protestants are not being insular by having limited interest in GAA.

michaelg

Quote from: seafoid on March 06, 2018, 06:51:40 PM

Time they were educated.
Surely it continues to play a part in the GAA in the ROI too.

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 07:26:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 06, 2018, 06:51:40 PM

Time they were educated.
Surely it continues to play a part in the GAA in the ROI too.
But other sports feature in schools and hockey doesn't mean anything special. NI is different because education and sport became badges of identity when what was on offer was either unwelcoming or unwanted. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Hockey was a pretty Protestant Sport in the 26 up to recently.
In Cork haven't they still  a Cork C of I hockey club and a Catholic Institute one??
No politics in Gaelic games in the 26 (apart from internal cut throat GAA politics of course ;D) other than parties trying to get the odd well known player to stand for them.
The GAA and Gaelic games helped to alleviate some of the bitterness after the Civil war especially in Kerry.

Anyway back on topic - what arrangements do the 6 Cos bucks here think should be included in the new All Ireland for the  Unionist/British minority (as they will be) ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jim_Murphy_74

So you would concur with those loyalists kids who didn't want to play Gaelic games? I mean if it's about Gaelic culture and an Irish Identity that is no doubt difficult for some coming from a loyalist, British culture and Identity?

/Jim.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 07:20:51 PM

Time they were educated.

As things stand, it's hardly inclusive from an "East Coast dwelling Protestant's" perspective.  Quite the opposite in fact.  As such, you cannot really accuse Protestants of insularity if they don't buy into it.
As for your second point, where Gaelic Games are minority sports in predominantly Protestant areas, by the same argument you could also say that Protestants are not being insular by having limited interest in GAA.

I believe they're insular for not having a general knowledge of the game. Intercounty GAA has regular live TV coverage, results on BBC 6C, even articles in the Belfast Telegraph. When was the last time you saw the Waringstown cricket results called out, let alone a live match or highlights shown on TV?

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 07:40:30 PM

So you would concur with those loyalists kids who didn't want to play Gaelic games? I mean if it's about Gaelic culture and an Irish Identity that is no doubt difficult for some coming from a loyalist, British culture and Identity?

/Jim.

As unfortunate as it is, I can understand their dislike of the GAA when you have teams named after what they regard as terrorists. In the same way I would dislike a soccer team from the Sandy Row called Michael Stone Utd. However, the idea is that the GAA should promote an inclusive Irish identity that respects unionist ideas and traditions, while educating them on the country in which they are born, the language that gives them many place names, etc. But I believe the GAA was created to be a fundamentally Irish organisation, defending the idea of an Irish nation, and that it should remain so.

michaelg

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 06, 2018, 08:32:08 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2018, 07:20:51 PM

Time they were educated.

I believe they're insular for not having a general knowledge of the game. Intercounty GAA has regular live TV coverage, results on BBC 6C, even articles in the Belfast Telegraph. When was the last time you saw the Waringstown cricket results called out, let alone a live match or highlights shown on TV?

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 07:40:30 PM

/Jim.

As unfortunate as it is, I can understand their dislike of the GAA when you have teams named after what they regard as terrorists. In the same way I would dislike a soccer team from the Sandy Row called Michael Stone Utd. However, the idea is that the GAA should promote an inclusive Irish identity that respects unionist ideas and traditions, while educating them on the country in which they are born, the language that gives them many place names, etc. But I believe the GAA was created to be a fundamentally Irish organisation, defending the idea of an Irish nation, and that it should remain so.
It was formed in 1884. Move on FFS.  In any case, as long as clubs continue to be named after terrorosts and what have you, it is in no way "respecting unionist ideas and traditions".

OgraAnDun

I think the latest carry on from the DUP has shown that protecting Irish culture is as relevant now as it was when the Gaelic League were around. I've already covered naming clubs after what the unionist community regard as terrorists.