A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: Rossfan on November 03, 2017, 12:38:47 PM
What am I to look around at?
It's up to firstly the Nationalist parties in the North to spell out their vision.
As the Nationalist numbers increase those Parties will have to pressurise the Blueshirt and Builders/Auctioneers Parties to start focusing in on the future rather than the next stroke .

No it will be up to the Government of the time. I'd like to think there'd be consultation however.
This has already been agreed through the GFA which the Governments (which is now FG) have signed up to.

Not only that but the last thing they want is for SF to draw up the plan.

These demands for parties to spell out their plans are red herrings. OK for pub chat but are meaningless when it comes to implementing a UI.

Can you imagine it was happening tomorrow?
Varadkar and May going through their files to find the SF proposal for Unity and saying to their Ministers, 'right folks' heres the plan, get to work'.

Rossfan

You need to convince the unaligned and very soft "nationalists" to vote for an All Ireland outcome if "We" are to win a Referendum.
To do that parties need to be spelling out what their vision would be.
All the better if a modern day version of the  New Ireland Forum was set up to have some concensus.
Just saying "Vote for UI we'll work something out" = defeat in the vote.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

Quote from: Rossfan on November 03, 2017, 01:17:30 PM
You need to convince the unaligned and very soft "nationalists" to vote for an All Ireland outcome if "We" are to win a Referendum.
To do that parties need to be spelling out what their vision would be.
All the better if a modern day version of the  New Ireland Forum was set up to have some concensus.
Just saying "Vote for UI we'll work something out" = defeat in the vote.

Easy, put a sign on a bus saying 'Google, Apple, Facebook choose Ireland' and another saying 'Work or study anywhere in the EU' and yet more saying absolutely anything you want to say. As with Brexit and all other referendum it's claptrap.

T Fearon

Oh dear. Why does anything think that Dublin wants the intractable problems of the North (parade disputes,political impasses,sectarianism etc),not even mentioning the substantial cost of taking the region on,if things were completely normal.I would say every leader in the South,from De Valera onwards,was on his knees every night thanking God it was the Brits who have to sort this out.

Add to this the utter impossibility of ever convincing unionists,regardless of how many sound arguments are presented,of the merits of a United Ireland,then realise this thread is a waste of cyberspace

Rossfan

You don't have to convince a Unionist minority ,  try the Soft Nationalists and the unaligned first.
Ye of course could try to start paying ye're own way in the meantime ;)

vallankumous

Quote from: T Fearon on November 03, 2017, 02:27:48 PM
Oh dear. Why does anything think that Dublin wants the intractable problems of the North (parade disputes,political impasses,sectarianism etc),not even mentioning the substantial cost of taking the region on,if things were completely normal.I would say every leader in the South,from De Valera onwards,was on his knees every night thanking God it was the Brits who have to sort this out.

Add to this the utter impossibility of ever convincing unionists,regardless of how many sound arguments are presented,of the merits of a United Ireland,then realise this thread is a waste of cyberspace

This has nothing to do with what they want.
That's not how it works.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on November 03, 2017, 02:27:48 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

armaghniac

Quote from: vallankumous on November 03, 2017, 12:52:58 PM

The last thing anyone wants is SF drawing up the plan, I'd sooner have Olly do the job.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 03, 2017, 11:15:22 AM
It would of course help in Nationalist parties had some vision as to what the new All Ireland entity would look like, how it would work and what proposals to accommodate those 6 Cos residents who consider themselves British.

Did unionist parties have any vision towards accommodating those in the 6 counties who considered themselves Irish, when partition happened? Or even now, nearly 100 years later?

vallankumous

Quote from: armaghniac on November 03, 2017, 03:42:30 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on November 03, 2017, 12:52:58 PM

The last thing anyone wants is SF drawing up the plan, I'd sooner have Olly do the job.

Most people agree but they still keep asking them to do it.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2017, 03:47:57 PM
It would of course help in Nationalist parties had some vision as to what the new All Ireland entity would look like, how it would work and what proposals to accommodate those 6 Cos residents who consider themselves British.

Did unionist parties have any vision towards accommodating those in the 6 counties who considered themselves Irish, when partition happened? Or even now, nearly 100 years later?

No but two wrongs don't make a right, they should be accommodated (within reasonable boundaries) when a 32 county republic is established.

Therealdonald

Reading on this thread makes me sick. We have actual GAA "supporters" outlining reasons why we shouldn't have a united ireland.when said aim of organisation was to promote a nationalist identity. Alls wring is that too many people live off far cheques from retiring from uk govt jobs. Turned a lot of you into what African-Americans call "Uncle Tom's" . I'd like to name all you naysayers "Uncle Mountbatten's" . Makes me sick to my stomach. We have the constant kicking of SF, and how they're not a political party. Well I can think of 20 SF members who literally laid their lives on the line for Catholics in the North so we could have a fair shot at life, name me a politician from either FF or FG who can say the same. You will all rue the day you didn't support SF when they're in the Dail and you're on the outside looking in.

illdecide

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 03, 2017, 04:20:44 PM
Reading on this thread makes me sick. We have actual GAA "supporters" outlining reasons why we shouldn't have a united ireland.when said aim of organisation was to promote a nationalist identity. Alls wring is that too many people live off far cheques from retiring from uk govt jobs. Turned a lot of you into what African-Americans call "Uncle Tom's" . I'd like to name all you naysayers "Uncle Mountbatten's" . Makes me sick to my stomach. We have the constant kicking of SF, and how they're not a political party. Well I can think of 20 SF members who literally laid their lives on the line for Catholics in the North so we could have a fair shot at life, name me a politician from either FF or FG who can say the same. You will all rue the day you didn't support SF when they're in the Dail and you're on the outside looking in.

Yeaahhhhoooo...Tiocfáidh Ar La
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 03, 2017, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2017, 03:47:57 PM

No but two wrongs don't make a right, they should be accommodated (within reasonable boundaries) when a 32 county republic is established.
I trust Donald,  BennyCake and Valkeep will be kept well away from the campaign for a UI ::)

Therealdonald

We will be the leaders of the new republic Ross. And I can guarantee that all the fake nationalists with their fake news will well and truly be drowned in Louth neagh.