A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Today the Blueshirt Flanagan is allegedly representing Northern Nationalism at Stormont.Do you trust him? In recent days Adams has referred to Paisleys remarks to Mc Guinness back.in 07 "We dont need Englishmen to rule us". Why do Sinn Fein think we need freestaters then?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2017, 01:27:30 PM
Today the Blueshirt Flanagan is allegedly representing Northern Nationalism at Stormont.Do you trust him? In recent days Adams has referred to Paisleys remarks to Mc Guinness back.in 07 "We dont need Englishmen to rule us". Why do Sinn Fein think we need freestaters then?

Why don't you declare Poyntzpass independent then?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donagh

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2017, 01:27:30 PM

Flanagan represents no one other than the southern government who have a legal duty to be there, though it's hard to tell considering he has to be dragged kicking and screaming over the border.   

haranguerer

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 08, 2017, 01:19:19 PM

The minute a UI looks as if it could become a reality there will be a price to pay
In that regard. The transition would have to be slow and subtle to minimise the backlash

Think I've said this here before, but potentially its northern nationalists who would lose most in a UI. Not difficult to foresee one route it would go - new flag, new anthem, and tons of investment into loyalist areas to ward off trouble and show them they belong. Nationalists left wondering what it was all for. In the short term at least.

T Fearon

haranguerer

There'd be a completely different context to those - stripped of the triumphalism not sure they'd be as fervently supported.

A UI is the best option socially, economically, and politically, I'm jut pointing out it may not take the form we expect. I think most who want a UI actually want an invasion  :D

Rossfan

As I've pointed out over the years you'll see 2 semi autonomous regions - current 6 and 26 Co areas with a Confederation of the 2 as the All Ireland entity.
There will be a Confederation flag and anthem.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

NI failed in 1969. It has been limping along since. Stormont used to have a Prime Minister but it never will again.

Things have changed a lot since Louis MacNeice's day. He was an ulster protestant
https://apoemforireland.rte.ie/shortlist/dublin/

This never was my town,
I was not born or bred
Nor schooled here and she will not
Have me alive or dead
But yet she holds my mind
With her seedy elegance,
With her gentle veils of rain
And all her ghosts that walk
And all that hide behind
Her Georgian facades –
The catcalls and the pain,
The glamour of her squalor,
The bravado of her talk.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 08, 2017, 12:35:34 PM
Quote from: ashman on March 07, 2017, 05:34:20 PM
The 7 year border poll will make NI utterly toxic for private investment .  Who would invest there with such uncertainty ??
My understanding is that once held a border poll has to be held every 7 years.

No, the 7 years refers to the minimum gap between polls.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Rossfan on March 08, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
As I've pointed out over the years you'll see 2 semi autonomous regions - current 6 and 26 Co areas with a Confederation of the 2 as the All Ireland entity.

Isn't the utopia I had in mind
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Windmill abu

Quote from: Rossfan on March 08, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
The vote won't be for a confederation. It will be for a United Ireland.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Rossfan

Is Switzerland a United Country?
Germany?
Canada?
There will be negotiations following a successful ( from our point of view) vote and an outcome. There will have to be arrangements for the "6Cos British", the rights enshrined in the GFA will have to be maintained.
It won't be the 6 Cos simply being incorporated into the 26.
It won't be some narrow minded Sinn Féin state either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Exactly. I wouldn't have a problem with Stormont being retained in its present form as a regional assembly within a UI.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 08, 2017, 06:45:03 PM
Exactly. I wouldn't have a problem with Stormont being retained in its present form as a regional assembly within a UI.

Well if this arrangement placates all sides and gets British involvement out its a start

How is this new state gonna be funded
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Windmill abu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 08, 2017, 06:45:03 PM

This gives Sinn Fein a double win. A United Ireland & the ruling party in the six counties. The Unionists and Loyalists would have a better existince in a 32 county U.I. than under a S.F controlled enclave.
Never underestimate the power of complaining