A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 08, 2017, 07:46:02 AM
What about the likes of Citi bank, Moy Park, Allstate, Almac, Randox Norbrook, First Derivatives etc. A good few of them locally owned. Not as good as the south, but with the same potential all being equal.

And Almac opening up a lab in Dundalk due to concerns over brexit....

The likes of Bombardier and FG Wilsons (Caterpillar) face an uncertain future will both going through several rounds of redundancies. I think I also hear that Caterpillar are to close their Monkstown plant shortly.

Citibank, Allstate and the likes can upsticks and move to the next investment hotspot quite quickly if the need arises and no doubt have cut quite lucrative deals with Invest NI.

north_antrim_hound

Catapiller and bombardier are reducing there workforce worldwide as the global economy continues to slip
Michelin Left because n Irelands electricity rates are among the highest in Europe, the assembly did nothing of any merit to pressure PowerNI to reduce their commercial rates ( I blame stormont for this one)
JTM (formerly Gallahers) moved to Poland for cheaper labour rates and possibly the lower corporation tax

stormont was trying to swing a deal with Westminster for a corporation tax aligned with the south but couldn't survive on the reduced block grants as a result
The republic  economy has really beneifited from their corp tax rate
If the north could do the same, investment would flood in same as the south
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

johnneycool

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 08, 2017, 09:08:33 AM
Catapiller and bombardier are reducing there workforce worldwide as the global economy continues to slip
Michelin the same reasons
JTM (formerly Gallahers) moved to Poland for cheaper labour rates and possibly the lower corporation tax

stormont was trying to swing a deal with Westminster for a corporation tax aligned with the south but couldn't survive on the reduced block grants as a result

Caterpillar have moved some stuff into China as well as suffering from a depressed market.

The Corp tax is one aspect of the solution, but in the North would we have enough highly trained staff to take on roles if the big corporations came calling? I'm not so sure.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 08:41:14 AM
What about the likes of Citi bank, Moy Park, Allstate, Almac, Randox Norbrook, First Derivatives etc. A good few of them locally owned. Not as good as the south, but with the same potential all being equal.

Citibank, Allstate and the likes can upsticks and move to the next investment hotspot quite quickly if the need arises and no doubt have cut quite lucrative deals with Invest NI.
How do they differ from IBM, Facebook, Apple, Intel in the south. Any multinational can up sticks. SMEs are what we need.

johnneycool

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 08, 2017, 09:17:37 AM

How do they differ from IBM, Facebook, Apple, Intel in the south. Any multinational can up sticks. SMEs are what we need.

They're not any different as we're now seeing with Hewlett Packard reducing its workforce in Kildare, but my point is that the north currently hasn't got a deep enough talent pool for any big employers to come in with high end jobs. The south does seem more capable of doing so.

There's only so many call centres you can set up and those jobs come and go with the wind.

Rossfan

And when the farmers lose the cheques from Brussels.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 09:38:01 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 08, 2017, 09:17:37 AM

They're not any different as we're now seeing with Hewlett Packard reducing its workforce in Kildare, but my point is that the north currently hasn't got a deep enough talent pool for any big employers to come in with high end jobs. The south does seem more capable of doing so.

There's only so many call centres you can set up and those jobs come and go with the wind.

Would disagree with that completely - the north has a highly educated work force - the talent pool would be there, not to mention the plenty from the north who would like to return but can't due to the lack of suitable high end jobs. Along side this, the south isn't miles away, even before a UI what makes you think some of that work force in the south wouldn't move north to service the jobs if they were there?

I don't think (well, I hope!) anyone thinks call centre jobs are good - they are set up here due to grants etc, and as you say will move somewhere else like the wind. I despair when I see Arlene or some other eejit posing proudly at the opening of another call centre which adds nothing long term.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 09:12:12 AM

Caterpillar have moved some stuff into China as well as suffering from a depressed market.

The Corp tax is one aspect of the solution, but in the North would we have enough highly trained staff to take on roles if the big corporations came calling? I'm not so sure.

I would be confident in the Norths ability to provide a efficient and motivated workforce in any business sector
We can work as hard as anyone in Europe and it's widely excepted that our education system and graduates are better than any where else in the U.K.
Look at the success of company's like Kanos in the IT sector
I wouldn't have any worries in that regard
Personally I would have took the low corporation tax deal with reduced block grant
It would have pushed us further into economical and social decline for a few years but outside investment would have eventually kicked in
Imm not an economist but the proof is in how the south is doing even after the banking crisis and the subsequent austerity measures

screenexile

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 08, 2017, 10:26:36 AM

I would be confident in the Norths ability to provide a efficient and motivated workforce in any business sector
We can work as hard as anyone in Europe and it's widely excepted that our education system and graduates are better than any where else in the U.K.
Personally I would have took the low corporation tax deal with reduced block grant
It would have pushed us further into economical and social decline for a few years but outside investment would have eventually kicked in
Imm not an economist but the proof is in how the south is doing even after the banking crisis and the subsequent austerity measures

I would agree with that... look at First Derivatives and the big 5 Accountancy firms. They hire NI staff to go work in London/New York and all the major financial centres because it's cheaper to pay an NI resident through an NI company than to hire someone who lives in those cities!!

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on March 08, 2017, 10:32:51 AM

I would agree with that... look at First Derivatives and the big 5 Accountancy firms. They hire NI staff to go work in London/New York and all the major financial centres because it's cheaper to pay an NI resident through an NI company than to hire someone who lives in those cities!!

Yip,
NI is a "low cost region" to a lot of multinationals.

Well educated and trained personnel will find work in NI, its the lower end who leave school with very little education to speak of where jobs are lacking and they need brought into the economic fold rather than being a burden..

Applesisapples

Quote from: ashman on March 07, 2017, 05:34:20 PM
The 7 year border poll will make NI utterly toxic for private investment .  Who would invest there with such uncertainty ??
My understanding is that once held a border poll has to be held every 7 years.

Applesisapples

If you just listen to the DUP and loyalists from East Belfast talking about taking to the streets and nationalists have only won an election. Put a UI on the table how will they react. Its a parody but Loyalists are definitely against democracy.

haranguerer

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 08, 2017, 12:35:34 PM
Quote from: ashman on March 07, 2017, 05:34:20 PM
The 7 year border poll will make NI utterly toxic for private investment .  Who would invest there with such uncertainty ??
My understanding is that once held a border poll has to be held every 7 years.

Na...this is a very good article on the legal side of it

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/02/26/a-border-poll-can-be-held-at-any-time/

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on March 08, 2017, 11:41:33 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 08, 2017, 10:32:51 AM

Yip,
NI is a "low cost region" to a lot of multinationals.

Well educated and trained personnel will find work in NI, its the lower end who leave school with very little education to speak of where jobs are lacking and they need brought into the economic fold rather than being a burden..

That's the other attraction of low corp tax for lower end education folks
Manufacturing facilities have to be based in the south to qualify
Never mind your intel and the like the south has every big player in the pharmaceutical industry there and they create a lot of jobs and wealth across the employment spectrum
Apart from Ireland the only other low corp tax countries are the eastern block ones in Europe and they don't have as good employee resources as here

Imm sure a well informed economist could throw up counter arguments but your can't argue with what the southern tax policy has done to there GDP

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 08, 2017, 12:44:49 PM
If you just listen to the DUP and loyalists from East Belfast talking about taking to the streets and nationalists have only won an election. Put a UI on the table how will they react. Its a parody but Loyalists are definitely against democracy.

The minute a UI looks as if it could become a reality there will be a price to pay
In that regard. The transition would have to be slow and subtle to minimise the backlash