Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Things domestically are different this year because there's only promotion from Intermediate through the championship (and only one going up) and only one coming down from Senior (through the league). Thus the Intermediate league is largely meaningless, save you can get relegated from it to Junior. Pressure in the Intermediate c'ship will now be doubled. Practically all the Intermediate clubs and many of the Senior ones spoke out against this at the convention at Loughgeorge recently, correctly pointing out that the existing system was extremely competitive. However they were informed by the top table that the system as it was, was in breach of GAA rules and that it would take a motion brought before congress to change this. (Galway had being getting away with it for years by requesting permission from Croke Park annually to keep the status quo in place. At a later meeting between representatives from all grades a system was proposed to run off the Inter. c'ship on a league basis; however they were then informed that to do so would require a motion being brought before the annual convention. Thus, the Inter. league will be a dead duck by and large in 2009 (but hopefully not beyond). What a balls-up!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on February 12, 2009, 03:16:18 PM
Things domestically are different this year because there's only promotion from Intermediate through the championship (and only one going up) and only one coming down from Senior (through the league). Thus the Intermediate league is largely meaningless, save you can get relegated from it to Junior. Pressure in the Intermediate c'ship will now be doubled. Practically all the Intermediate clubs and many of the Senior ones spoke out against this at the convention at Loughgeorge recently, correctly pointing out that the existing system was extremely competitive. However they were informed by the top table that the system as it was, was in breach of GAA rules and that it would take a motion brought before congress to change this. (Galway had being getting away with it for years by requesting permission from Croke Park annually to keep the status quo in place. At a later meeting between representatives from all grades a system was proposed to run off the Inter. c'ship on a league basis; however they were then informed that to do so would require a motion being brought before the annual convention. Thus, the Inter. league will be a dead duck by and large in 2009 (but hopefully not beyond). What a balls-up!

Same with junior going up to intermediate isn't it? So it looks like the intermediate and junior leagues will be pretty meaningless this year and it will be teams just going through the motions. That's not a good recipe for improving playing standards. Hopefully they sort it out for next year.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 12, 2009, 09:39:04 AM
Galway Club Championships Draws 2009

Senior Championship    

Glenamaddy v  Killanin   
St Michaels  v  Caherlistrane   
Maigh Cuilinn  v  Bearna   
Kilkerrin Clonberne  v   Mountbellew Moylough   
Ml Breathnach  v   Corofin   
St Brendans  v   An Chreathrua Rua   
Claregalway  v   Milltown   
Caltra  v   Cortoon Shamrocks   
Salthill Knocknacarra  v  Killererin 

Tuam Stars  v   Annaghdown   

Some tasty ties. Especially those two.

Oraisteach

Any of you Galway boys know when the St. Michael's game starts or on what day?  Is it on Galway Bay FM?

Duine Eile

Salthill-Knocknacarra   1-12   2-8   Killererin   (Feck it. >:()   

Kilkerrin/Clonberne   0-11   1-13   Mountbellew/Moylough      

Glenamaddy   0-11   0-10   Killanin   

Moycullen   2-10   1-8   Barna

Michael Breathnachs   1-13   0-10   Corofin   

St Michaels   1-8   1-10   Caherlistrane      

Claregalway   2-7   1-14   Milltown   

Ballygar   2-7   2-12   An Cheathru Rua      

Caltra   0-10   1-6   Cortoon Shamrocks

Tuam beat Annaghdown after ET also, don't have the score. Only one big shock really, Corofin going down to Ml Breathnachs. Anybody at the Killererin Salthill game, didn't make this one. Shameful I know!

mckieran

QuoteMichael Breathnachs   1-13   0-10   Corofin   

I wonder is it time for Ray Silke to re-evaluate his Galway 15 (4 Corofin backs  ???).

Could Caherlistrane be the team to make the breakthrough to a final this year, like Cortoon & Milltown in the last 2 years

Duine Eile

Senior Draw

Killererin v St Michaels

Killanin v Bearna

Claregalway v N.U.I.G

Kilkerrin Clonberne v St Brendans

Cortoon Shamrocks v Annaghdown

Bye Corofin 

Intermediate Winners Draw

St Kerrills v Winners of Menlough or Leitir Mor

Kilconly v St James

Monivea Abbey v Winners of Carna Caiseal or Oranmore Maree

Dunmore McHales v Oughterard

Intermediate Losers Draw

Athenry v Corofin

Williamstown v Clifden

Caherlistrane v Losers of Menlough or Leitir Mor

An Fhairche v Losers of Carna Caiseal or Oranmore Maree

Farrandeelin

Christ, DE, you have missed one championship game that Kilererin are in. Don't beat yourself up over it!!! ;D The leagues and Championships are seperate entities in Mayo for a few years now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Any substance to the rumours that Nicky Joyce has been kicked off the Galway panel lads or is it just hopefully wild rumour?

Duine Eile

May well be true if what I heard last week is true. Nothing to do with football so don't want to say anything until I hear for definite.

Duine Eile

Claregalway Hotel Senior Football Championship

St Brendans   Kilkerrin/Clonberne   Menlough   13/06/2009   15:00   B. Kinneavy      

St Michaels   Killererin   Tuam Stadium   13/06/2009   19:00   G. Kinneavy   

Claregalway   N.U.I.G   Pearse Stadium   14/06/2009   15:00   F. Kinneen      

Killanin   Barna   Pearse Stadium   14/06/2009   16:45   V. Judge      

Cortoon Shamrocks   Annaghdown   Tuam Stadium   14/06/2009   19:00   M. McGearailt   

Claregalway Hotel Intermediate Football Championship

St James   Kilconly   Tuam Stadium   13/06/2009   15:30   P. McGovern

Athenry   Corofin   Tuam Stadium   13/06/2009   17:15   G. Moore      

Carna Cashel   Oranmore-Maree    Pearse Stadium   13/06/2009   17:30   T. Keating   

Williamstown   Clifden   Clonbur   13/06/2009   17:30   F. Walsh      

Lettermore   Menlough   Pearse Stadium   13/06/2009   19:15   A. Carr   

Dunmore McHales   Oughterard   Clonbur   13/06/2009   19:15   T. Nally      

GalwayBayBoy

Senior

Tuam Stars    1-13   0-14   Michael Breathnachs    
Caherlistrane    0-11   0-13   Mountbellew/Moylough       
Barna    1-6   0-12   Annaghdown    
Caltra    2-10   0-10   Claregalway

Intermediate

Dunmore McHales    1-10   1-7   Athenry          
Oranmore-Maree    2-12   0-5   Clonbur       
St James    2-16   0-6   Williamstown

GalwayBayBoy

Senior

Salthill-Knocknacarra    0-11   0-9   Milltown          
St Brendans    1-10   0-12   Glenamaddy          
Corofin    0-14   2-5   An Cheathru Rua    
Moycullen    1-10   0-14   Killererin

Last 8 then are:

Tuam Stars
Mountbellew/Moylough
Annaghdown
Caltra
Salthill-Knocknacarra
St Brendan's
Corofin
Killererin

Duine Eile

Bar Salthill the last 8 is made up of north Galway teams, hasn't happened in years. Milltown Salthill match was great craic altogether from what I've heard, 5 players sent off! :o 3 for S K and 3 for MT. We were awful lucky not to be caught at the end by Moycullen. We were flying for the first half and went in 5points up at half time. Things started getting sloppy after the restart and Moycullen upped their game considerably. Nicky Joyce conceded a penalty which Gareth Bradshaw scored bringing them level but Killererin pulled away again, just about holding onto win by a point. Nicky Joyce played like a man possessed and was obviously laying down a marker,scored 5 points, all from play I think and was involved in everything from he full back line to the full forward line, he even lined out at midfield alongside Hansberry for the 2nd half, James Hughes came in for Micheal Keane who didn't start because of injury, played well and scored 4 points, Padraic Joyce was in fine fettle too scoring 3 points. All in all a good win but we will have to play better in the quarter finals, hopefully Micheal Keane will be back by then, our options at midfield are fairly limited with Tom Hughes in America. The draw is on Tuesday week and the games themselves won't be played until August.

mckieran

QuoteBar Salthill the last 8 is made up of north Galway teams, hasn't happened in years. Milltown Salthill match was great craic altogether from what I've heard, 5 players sent off!  3 for S K and 3 for MT

3 from Salthill & 2 from Milltown.

Went into these matches in Tuam and have to say I got value for money. 2 very entertaining matches, particularly the second one where Salthill really had to grind out a win.

I was campaigning for Mullahy to get a start against Mayo in the Connacht final thread. I am less convinced after watching him at the weekend. Then again, Armstrong wasn't brilliant either. Diarmuid Blake was exceptional though, a really class footballer. Seamie Crowe was lively for Salthill too. It was a real "championship" match though, both sides really giving it their all, very enjoyable