Rural Ireland's football future

Started by joemamas, August 21, 2019, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

"Ireland West Airport receives less State funding than Kerry or Donegal airports in recent years
Published: Wednesday, 21 August 2019 11:26

A Mayo Councillor has repeated his call for State funding of €100 million for Ireland West Airport Knock, to kick-start development at the airport.

Sinn Fein Councillor Gerry Murray made the call, as figures were released this week which show that Ireland West Airport received significantly less direct state funding in recent years than Kerry or Donegal airports - despite outperforming them in terms of passenger numbers.

Figures from the Department of Transport show that, since 2012, Kerry Airport received a total of €37 million in State funding followed by €29.5 million for Donegal Airport.

Ireland West Airport Knock received €17.9 million over the 7 year period.

Councillor Gerry Murray said Knock should receive the lion's share of the funding, given the airport's passenger numbers, and its potential for further development.
"

This may be a digression from normal GAA and maybe it belongs on another forum. It just hits home with me.
I was walking into the Dublin V Mayo semi-final two weeks ago, Michael Ring who I have never met in my life was walking in ahead of me with his family, I was going to say to him, "the only way Mayo will win an All-Ireland in the next twenty years is if you push decentralization and invest in Ireland west Airport" . Given the situation, I decided to leave the guy alone going into a football game. However when you read the above, you have to wonder, what if ?.

In addition to Mayo, The development of this airport would benefit, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford, Donegal, and maybe a few more, i.e. counties that have have experienced decades of folks leaving to go to cities like Dublin.

I have no political affiliation, but believe that a large part of Dublin's prolonged success is population growth + or (money by the Government). Not brain surgery.
But when you see decentralization opportunities blown, by short sightedness, then you just shake your head.
What is even more frustration is that the last Taoiseach was from Mayo, mind you he inherited a bucket of sh*t, so he deserves a pass on on at least the first few years in office for sure but........
I feel the current guy in office, will most likely provide lip service on the same.

It truly is pathetic when you see these numbers, meanwhile a lot of people who live in Dublin, now cannot afford to, or have significantly altered their spending habits due to increased cost of housing up there.

A chance blown, and one that will most likely still possibly impact another generation of potential rural county footballers.

larryin89

Perhaps if Mayo people started voting for SF rather than the two main who have never done a tap for Mayo in the history of state things might change .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Good joke.
Them yokes are against everything.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

What does the funding figures reflect though, including in terms of the starting points for the respective airports?

Carrickfin has been built up from a grassy strip in the last 30-odd years.

Most scenic airport landing in the world the past two years too. 8)

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2019, 03:17:57 PM
Good joke.
Them yokes are against everything.

Unlike Mr Ring who spends his entire day going to funerals. Or dont forget Fornication Mulherin with the boyfriend adviser in Africa. Not to mention the great Enda.

Mayo people seriously need to look at the clowns they vote for.

Rossfan

Indeed.
However I take it Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth are now economic powerhouses since they were the first places to  elect SF TDs.

giveballaghback

Michael Ring has been very supportive of 2 different projects [public] I have been involved with over the last few years, he was supportive with advice and funding and even though I have never voted for his party I give credit where credit is due.
Maybe if people got involved they would know what is going on in their communities and the wider community and would not make such sweeping statements.
Mayo as a county has had its fair share of good politicians over the years and have been reasonably well funded.
People west of the shannon need to activate and bring forward projects that will get funding.
Westport as a town should be held up as an example to all towns of what can be done when people organise and pull together. Sitting in your parlour crying and complaining wont get things done, hard work will eventually get rewards but waiting for someone else to do it for you never will.

MayoBuck

Saying FG or FF have done nothing for Mayo is a lazy generic comment to throw out. On the whole, we've had above average investment relative to population.

Public transport in Dublin is grossly inadequate compared to other major European cities. Public transport in our other cities is almost non existent. There is still no motorway between Cork and Limerick. So Mayo isn't the only neglected county around.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2019, 05:38:09 PM
Indeed.
However I take it Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth are now economic powerhouses since they were the first places to  elect SF TDs.

Border counties have always been most neglected by the FF and FF crowd. That's why SF has success there.

As for mayo. What got done in north mayo for example. There's been f**king nothing done even when they had a taoiseach. Flynn the corrupt hoor did more for mayo (He brought us the road)

Btw - the fact ring can influence granting of money is a disgrace in itself

Roscommon even worse eejits when it comes to voting. Like a bet dog coming back for more.

Farrandeelin

We've passed the point of no return unfortunately. We may have to pay corporation tax the same as the EU after Brexit in return. God help Ballina if Coke and Hollister shut.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2019, 06:45:03 PM
Indeed.

Border counties have always been most neglected by the FF and FF crowd. That's why SF has success there.

As for mayo. What got done in north mayo for example. There's been f**king nothing done even when they had a taoiseach. Flynn the corrupt hoor did more for mayo (He brought us the road)

Roscommon even worse eejits when it comes to voting. Like a bet dog coming back for more.
Funding would not be granted unless the project being funded qualified. Lads sitting on their asses doing nothing and bitching about getting nothing is typical of the new Ireland of entitlement.
Michael Ring helped us with our project once it was confirmed the project had potential and people willing to give their time and skills to see it home. Your response itchy is typical of the criticise everything and finger pointing that goes on, open your eyes, join your local enterprise team and do something for your area.

Lar Naparka

Anyway, to get back on topic...
Msgr. Horan, the buck that built Knock Airport was a great buddy of Charlie Haughey. Naturally enough, money was no object when FF were in power but that problem back in the 80s was that there was frequent changes of government and that meant Knock airport development got money when FF were inn power and Garret Fitzgerald and his Blue Shirts cut back on what Knock had been promised when Horan started developing the place. Jim Mitchel, one of Garret's ministers, once described the airport as a foggy,, boggy place and not worth spending a fraction of the £10m Horan said was promised. Anyway, the airport got built and opened and FR. Horan got Charlie to cut the ribbon even though he was in opposition at the time. There was open war between Knock airport and FG since and even when Enda was the boss, Knock supporters complained at how miserable with development grants he was.
There's a bit more to the story than that but the fact remains that Knock Airport was always regarded as a FF project. The main obstacle to the development of Knock airport was and is the fear that it could draw business away from Shannon. FF was just as cynical as FG in this regard. Back then Mayo was a 5 seater and most times it was 3 FF and 2 FG but there never was much in it and a few hundred votes one way or the other could mean one seat changing hands. However, down in Clare the story was a bit more complicated and 2 or more seats could be regarded as swings. So both parties has to consider what would happen if they gave Knock a bit of a leg up against Shannon and naturally enough Shannon always won.
Horan had gone ahead and started building on the assumption that Knock would get a licence for scheduled transatlantic flights bit that never came to pass.
Cathal Duffy, who stepped in when the monsignor got a heart attack, said he has a contact in Chicago who would guarantee him 55 charter flights a year if he got a licence but he never did and AFAIK, Knock still can't handle transatlantic flights even though it has the longest runway in the country.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

weareros

I remember being on a transatlantic flight from NY  to Knock back in the 90s. It was some chancer who at one stage in his career had tried to set up an airline where the flight attendants wore very short skirts. This plane didn't have that but the Captain's name was Captain Moonlight. Remember a bit of a fight breaking out too, two drunk lads squabbling over a wrong seat. There was only one movie screen and it was a James Bond film. But we definitely landed in Knock and never was I so glad to see Mayo when that plane (a piece of shit) hit the tarmac.

Itchy

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 21, 2019, 08:54:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2019, 06:45:03 PM
Indeed.

Funding would not be granted unless the project being funded qualified. Lads sitting on their asses doing nothing and bitching about getting nothing is typical of the new Ireland of entitlement.
Michael Ring helped us with our project once it was confirmed the project had potential and people willing to give their time and skills to see it home. Your response itchy is typical of the criticise everything and finger pointing that goes on, open your eyes, join your local enterprise team and do something for your area.

You know nothing about me you muppet. But I can tell you this, I have fund rasied and put a huge amount of infrastucture into my club. I applied for the grants and I did the running with the people in the club. I didnt need any gombeen politician telling me he would look after me. When the infrastructure was in place they all came running to claim that they had something to do with it, one of them want to cut the ribbon, a FG bollix. They were all told to f**k off. Politicians should govern, not run around shaking hands at funerals of people they barely know and hold "clinics" to fill potholes, move esb poles and create the illusion they are helping you with a project. And clowns like you that entertain this crap and vote for these bluffers because you believe their rubbish are the root cause of the issue.

f**king Rossies even voting for fellas that shut down their hospital. Deserve everything ye get.

Rossfan

Roscommon Hospital is still open.
It was the Casualty that got shut.
FG have no TD in Roscommon.