The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

365 days without a league loss and counting.

Main Street

365 days is meaningless. Liverpool need to have an invincible season in order to have achieved something special, albeit a shared special achievement.

Look-Up!

Wow. I honestly expected the gap to be closed on Liverpool over the Xmas and set us up for another nail biter of a run in but they have been absolutely relentless and are home and hosed already. A modest 2 point average a game from here on would (bar a point or two), mathematically, see them champions. But it will take less than that cos I don't think either City or Leicester will have a 100% record from here till end of season. And even a 2 point average would constitute a crisis of form for this Liverpool squad.
Klopp really is something special and just keeps coming up with the right answers to problems. From the loss of Coutinho which would have been a major spanner for most managers, he has gone from strength to strength. Lost a CL final, won it next year. Got pipped last season in the PL where it looked like they had given everything and hard to see where they could improve. This season they look the real deal. At times they looked uncomfortable leaders last season and stumbled a bit when out in front. Looked much happier when chasing City. But this season it's water off a ducks back.
There is the weight of history and expectation on their shoulders but I don't think it's even a thing. As crazy as it sounds, they actually haven't been at their best yet for large parts of the season and they seem to be improving. Kieta is starting to look like a player. I like the look of the new guy Minamino too and he will most likely develop into something special. So I don't see a drop off or the pressure getting to them. Klopp will have them focused. I honestly believe they know they are champions already and they are just focused on beating City's 100+ points record season as a lay down. The Invincibles record is another matter and very difficult to replicate.

johnnycool

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2019, 04:32:53 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 30, 2019, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
Have to say that I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding VAR. Both calls were spot on. The wolves one was offside, marginally or not, therefore no goal. It really is that simple.
Everyone seems to have a problem saying you can't rule goals out if its that close, but that's what VAR is for. We had a 'goal' at Man City last season that was 11 millimetres from going over the line that cost us the title, but that was grand and there was no fuss kicked up over that. So to say we can't be giving these marginal calls offside when they're offside and that it's ruining the game is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion. VAR was brought in to get those tight decisions correct, and that's what it's doing.

But on a side note, a great 2019 and some run we're on, but i'll not believe it until she has red ribbons on the handles.

It's all about margins of error

1) when the ball was actually kicked, i.e. I presume when it leaves the foot is what they're using
2) the line drawn on where the last part of the defender is, not sure of this and can't find out how they draw that line
3) the line drawn on where the scoring part of the attacker is..... as above.

There's a fair bit of tolerance to be allowed for and I'm not sure how they do that but IMO if the thickness of the lines is that said tolerance then any overlapping of the two lines drawn should result in a goal standing as even VAR cannot be sure someone is offside,  benefit of the attacker and all that.

Probably didn't explain that too well...
1)Yes.
2)Yes, the last part of the defender that can play the ball. The line is drawn vertically from that point on his body from floor upwards and that line on the floor is taken.
3)No, whatever body part the attacker scores with isn't taken into account. Like the defender, the last part of the attacker that can play the ball is taken, and the line is drawn the same as the defender's, from the floor vertically upwards to wherever the last part of the attackers body is. These two lines on the floor are measured from the point when the ball is played.
Former referee Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports says this 3D software is as accurate as can be in the world today, and there is rightly no grey area on offsides, because if you start yapping about marginal offside calls even though they're offiside and trying o change rules etc then that's the beginning of the end of football. So basically if it's offside it's offside, suck it up if you don't like it, because the decision is the correct one.

Absolutely everything has a margin of error no matter how accurate it is. That's just reality.

The grey area in relation to offside could now be minuscule but it's still there!

bennydorano

A mate was telling me Bet365 paid out to him on his Liverpool win the league bet, had them pre season at 5/2, a decent sized bet too. Definitely not a spoof either.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: bennydorano on January 03, 2020, 07:01:54 PM
A mate was telling me Bet365 paid out to him on his Liverpool win the league bet, had them pre season at 5/2, a decent sized bet too. Definitely not a spoof either.

They're 1-50 with some firms now so hardly a surprise some are already paying out.

Boycey

Bar One have paid out too, surprised more haven't it's usually a big promotional gimmick for one of them....

Although I think United were caught one of the years BetFred paid out on them. 

under the bar

Why would they not pay out?  Scousers will give every cent beck to them!  ;D

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: under the bar on January 04, 2020, 01:05:36 AM

It must be killing you?
How many times have you called Liverpool Christmas Champions or said you hope they don't slip
There's a sad **** like you on one of my WhatsApp groups. It's so satisfying when he comes out with one of these lines.

https://twitter.com/r_o_m/status/1103447972317143040?s=12
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

TabClear

Quote from: Boycey on January 03, 2020, 07:39:10 PM
Bar One have paid out too, surprised more haven't it's usually a big promotional gimmick for one of them....

Although I think United were caught one of the years BetFred paid out on them.

Bar One paid out in November I think? I think the thinking behind the early payout is the publicity as Boycey said but more commercially its gets the cash back to the punters when the season is in full flow. There are a lot of people (myself included) who only bet during the "soccer season" so I very rarely bet over the May-July period. If I got a decent sized win in April/start of May for a title pick I would be more inclined to cash it out than I would be at this time of the year where I would leave it in the account.

under the bar

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 04, 2020, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: under the bar on January 04, 2020, 01:05:36 AM

It must be killing you?
How many times have you called Liverpool Christmas Champions or said you hope they don't slip
There's a sad **** like you on one of my WhatsApp groups. It's so satisfying when he comes out with one of these lines.

https://twitter.com/r_o_m/status/1103447972317143040?s=12

How many times?...let me see... eh....never. Is never ok for you?  ;D

Relax dude. It's in the bag. I'd hate to see what you're like if it came down to last game of the season! ;D

laoislad

Liverpool: Adrian, Milner, Gomez, Phillips, Williams, Lallana, Chirivella, Jones, Elliott, Minamino, Origi.

Subs: Kelleher, Mane, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster, Hoever, Larouci

Everton have a massive chance to end their 20 year winless streak at Anfield.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on January 05, 2020, 03:04:11 PM
Liverpool: Adrian, Milner, Gomez, Phillips, Williams, Lallana, Chirivella, Jones, Elliott, Minamino, Origi.

Subs: Kelleher, Mane, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster, Hoever, Larouci

Everton have a massive chance to end their 20 year winless streak at Anfield.
Great to see Ox back on the bench so soon

Capt Pat

Good to see Klopp giving players like Van Dijk and Salah a rest.

From the Bunker

Poor Liverpool side put out by Klopp. To be fair there are only so many plates you can keep spinning.

Expect Everton to win comfortably.