Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on May 23, 2019, 09:13:22 AM
Martina Anderson, the IRA and her Disappeared Victims

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2019/05/20/martina-anderson-the-ira-and-her-disappeared-victims/

Is the author of the piece allowed to have his own "awakening" for his past misdeeds but Martina isn't?

Getting as bad as Jim Allister at this stage.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2019, 10:27:46 AM

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2019/05/20/martina-anderson-the-ira-and-her-disappeared-victims/

Is the author of the piece allowed to have his own "awakening" for his past misdeeds but Martina isn't?

You can deflect by attacking me or the author but this is just facts about who she is and what her background is.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on May 23, 2019, 10:39:19 AM

You can deflect by attacking me or the author but this is just facts about who she is and what her background is.

Who's attacking you?

Some facts and some conjecture in there and who doesn't know this at this stage in her political career?

Should Shane Paul O'Doherty be made walk around in sackcloth and ashes for his previous life as well as Martina?

smelmoth

I make no comment on the article or it author. But in respect of Anderson's violent history it has already been quoted here as a reason for voting for her. So which is it? Do we judge her on her violent past and afford her political credentials based on that or do we judge her on her abilities and track record as a politician? I'm happy to do the latter

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2019, 10:45:47 AM

Who's attacking you?
General Lee above. See Jamie Bryson line - deflection.

Some facts and some conjecture in there and who doesn't know this at this stage in her political career?

Should Shane Paul O'Doherty be made walk around in sackcloth and ashes for his previous life as well as Martina?

So everyone knows. Deflection.
Your point about the author is pure whataboutery. He's not running for Election to the European parliament. Anderson should be held to a higher authority as she is.

johnnycool

Quote from: smelmoth on May 23, 2019, 10:48:55 AM

I make no comment on the article or it author. But in respect of Anderson's violent history it has already been quoted here as a reason for voting for her. So which is it? Do we judge her on her violent past and afford her political credentials based on that or do we judge her on her abilities and track record as a politician? I'm happy to do the latter

I suppose like the rest of us you judge her as you see fit like we all do to people in public life you will vote accordingly.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on May 23, 2019, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2019, 10:45:47 AM

Who's attacking you?
General Lee above. See Jamie Bryson line - deflection.

So everyone knows. Deflection.
Your point about the author is pure whataboutery. He's not running for Election to the European parliament. Anderson should be held to a higher authority as she is.

Didn't see General Lee's comment and it's nothing to do with me.

Anderson doesn't shy away from her past and it's well documented for all to see.

Vote as you see fit Trailer.

smelmoth

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2019, 10:59:11 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 23, 2019, 10:48:55 AM

I suppose like the rest of us you judge her as you see fit like we all do to people in public life you will vote accordingly.

It's interesting to see how people make those judgements. Do they see he violent past as a plus? If so how/why and if so are political roles just a way for pensioning off bombers?

Is her violent participation irrelevant but her republican views important? If so why- what relevance does if have in the European Parliament?

Is all of this irrelevant and her supporters genuinely think she is the person best qualified to deliver for NI? If so what is the actual evidence? We had that tweet from Daire Hughes but there is nothing noteworthy in it.

When her supporters can't point to anything noteworthy in her political track record it hard to escape the conclusion that they view the political representation of the people of NI as a handy means of pensioning off volunteers. Future generations are unlikely to judge this kindly

Keyser soze

The condescension from some posters in this thread is making me lol.

Moving the moral high ground to Olympus ... and beyoooooooonnnnnddddd

magpie seanie

Had picked up a bit yesterday on Twitter about Saoirse McHugh of the Green Party and how well she did on RTE's Primetime debate for the Midlands North West Euro constituency so decided to throw on RTE player when I went home from work yesterday. It didn't disappoint. She was brilliant. Cut the legs off that odious shyster Casey repeatedly and presented a common sense, well thought out policy platform. Further research I've done on her has proved equally impressive. It's a long shot but her support is growing. I think she's exactly the type of politician we need. I'll be voting #1 for her tomorrow. I think people in that constituency should strongly consider doing likewise.

Rossfan

Seriously thinking of giving her the No.1 instead of Ming.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

I really can't decide where to put my number 2.

Not a euphemism.

Hard to tell who has the better chance at seat 3 between Long and Eastwood. Alot of SF voters I know transferring to Long.

Taylor

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 23, 2019, 12:58:44 PM

Not a euphemism.

Hard to tell who has the better chance at seat 3 between Long and Eastwood. Alot of SF voters I know transferring to Long.

Still undecided but considering 1. Long  2. Anderson  3. Eastwood.

Orior

Quote from: Taylor on May 23, 2019, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 23, 2019, 12:58:44 PM

Not a euphemism.

Still undecided but considering 1. Long  2. Anderson  3. Eastwood.

You're not swayed by Jim 'straight talking' Allister?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2019, 12:32:17 PM
Seriously thinking of giving her the No.1 instead of Ming.

Ming was getting my #1, now getting #2. He's a bit messy but well intentioned and honest and has similar views on the EU to myself (i.e. it has done good, it has done bad but I don't want a federal Europe). Has the interests of the people in the constituency at heart. That last bit should be a prerequisite for all candidates but sadly now it's the exception.

Cyril Brennan also did well I thought as did Hannigan from Labour.