Camping

Started by BennyCake, June 04, 2014, 03:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Haven't done much of it before, but thinking of heading down to Kerry over the summer. Not too sure what to expect though. Wondering if anyone has any tips on the following...

- how far ahead would you need to book your spot on the campsite?
- would your tent be safe if you went off travelling during the day?
- roughly how much would it cost per night, for two people?

Not an experienced camper, but any tips on type of tent, equipment needed, facilities usually available, do's and dont's etc, would be really helpful.

screenexile

1. Depends which campsite you wish to go to
2. Yes
3. Again depends which campsite... I've paid anything from €15 to €30 per night. Generally it's a rate for the Tent and then each adult usually €7-10

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2014, 03:28:13 PM
Haven't done much of it before, but thinking of heading down to Kerry over the summer. Not too sure what to expect though. Wondering if anyone has any tips on the following...

Not an experienced camper, but any tips on type of tent, equipment needed, facilities usually available, do's and dont's etc, would be really helpful.

Blow up bed for starters, ensure you have the wee battery operated blower as you'll need it during the night to blow as the air normally filters out. You'll need a decent double sleeping bag hats and gloves as its Baltic over here. Park your tent near the toilet facilities or trees lol as women normally go at least 3/4 times cause it's cold, you can pick up wee lanterns as it's pitch black. couple bottles of wine is a must to get you asleep.

As for the safety of your tent these places are usually very safe, obviously take your wallet/purse with you car keys and other valuable things but as for anything else it should be grand. Should be plenty deals on tents, I bought a 4 man tent a few years ago and it had 2 compartments and a awning with a space between the two compartments. it was grand and easy to put up and take down. Put the tent up a few times before you go, can be very embarrassing when you put it up for the first time on site, usually a fight ensues!!

Depending on the site you'd have to book months in advance or weeks, most are usually full if you randomly phone on the day, so avoid disappointment, generally not that dear, its the price for the tent not for how many usually.

All in all its great craic and men tend to have a better experience than the women who are too used to their comforts. Bring the bikes and get round the ring of Kerry!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

That's great. Thanks.

Good tip parking near the toilets. Booking months in advance though? That's mad. I had hoped a couple of days would have been enough. I suppose sites in Kerry would be busy though, so that could a problem getting in anywhere at a couple days notice

gawa316

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 04, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

Blow up bed for starters, ensure you have the wee battery operated blower as you'll need it during the night to blow as the air normally filters out. You'll need a decent double sleeping bag hats and gloves as its Baltic over here. Park your tent near the toilet facilities or trees lol as women normally go at least 3/4 times cause it's cold, you can pick up wee lanterns as it's pitch black. couple bottles of wine is a must to get you asleep.

As for the safety of your tent these places are usually very safe, obviously take your wallet/purse with you car keys and other valuable things but as for anything else it should be grand. Should be plenty deals on tents, I bought a 4 man tent a few years ago and it had 2 compartments and a awning with a space between the two compartments. it was grand and easy to put up and take down. Put the tent up a few times before you go, can be very embarrassing when you put it up for the first time on site, usually a fight ensues!!

Depending on the site you'd have to book months in advance or weeks, most are usually full if you randomly phone on the day, so avoid disappointment, generally not that dear, its the price for the tent not for how many usually.

All in all its great craic and men tend to have a better experience than the women who are too used to their comforts. Bring the bikes and get round the ring of Kerry!!

Good advice that...I'd also throw in a few windbreakers if you have em to take the brunt of the wind of your tent. Also is a good way to give yourself a bit of privacy and a bit of personal space by creating a boundary. If you have some type of canopy as well. There's nothing worse than being stuck in your tent when the old reliable rain starts. Camping chairs and table also. Can't bate an oul game of cards in the outdoors. As for the vino, it's all about the box of wine for camping!

One last thing, it can obviously get chilly here. My mate made a outdoor burner out of the drum of a washing machine. Most campsites don't allow campfires so this is a way round it. Here's a pic of a similar one

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101854

Hereiam

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on June 05, 2014, 06:30:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 04, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

Good advice that...I'd also throw in a few windbreakers if you have em to take the brunt of the wind of your tent. Also is a good way to give yourself a bit of privacy and a bit of personal space by creating a boundary. If you have some type of canopy as well. There's nothing worse than being stuck in your tent when the old reliable rain starts. Camping chairs and table also. Can't bate an oul game of cards in the outdoors. As for the vino, it's all about the box of wine for camping!

One last thing, it can obviously get chilly here. My mate made a outdoor burner out of the drum of a washing machine. Most campsites don't allow campfires so this is a way round it. Here's a pic of a similar one

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101854

Aye strange some let you have the wee disposable Bq sets which is great cause after you've cooked you can sit round it keep yourself warm and as said playing cards are a must. Yes and will also back that up with the fold up chairs and table, cheap enough and of course bottle opener a must unless its the box of wine, white for her red for you!!!

Expect to be up brave and early also, the fecking birds do a great rendition of 'get da feck up' and the light can be strong, depending where you pitch. So ear plugs and Eye pads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardal

In Ireland I've never had to book ahead but it's best to check it out.

Lots of plastic bags; handy for the rubbish and when kept sealed will deter the ants Also Handy for keeping food stuffs sealed.

A plastic basis; to story your cooking utensils and also be wash up after eating

Toilet rolls

Lots of fleeces or jumpers; Handy to give you a bit more comfort; as a pillow for example, and no matter how warm you think you are in your sleeping bag keep a t shirt and fleece on as it's gets cold in the wee early hours; no matter which country you're in.

Several torchs and tons of batteries.

Have never had anything stolen when camping; touch Wood

Have a nap after lunch

Food stuffs, pasta, tuna, mayo, corn. All in one pot, deadly handy

thewobbler

There is not one reply on this thread that even slightly encourages me to go camping.

It's an awful lot of effort for a shitty night's sleep .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2014, 10:20:40 AM
There is not one reply on this thread that even slightly encourages me to go camping.

It's an awful lot of effort for a shitty night's sleep .

It's not that bad but it's defo only for people who are into all that, I try and encourage the kids and her to go for the odd night just for the craic, it's a completely different experience on the continent though.

BennyCake

Just a thought...

What should you do if you're camping and there's thunder and lightning?

laoislad

Cover yourself in tinfoil and stand outside holding a long metal rod.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J OGorman

Quote from: BennyCake on June 09, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
Just a thought...

What should you do if you're camping and there's thunder and lightning?

hope you've packed the box of wine :-)

ardal

Although I may have highlighted "posible downsides" when camping, it's an absolutely incredible experience.

I've been going on camping holidays with my wife and son since he was 18 months old. We go away for 2 weeks every August.

I was trying to make Benny and co. understand that's it's not like their normal holidays, but if you are willing to really give it a go, it's fantastic.

Regarding thunderstorms. Get the soap out. Nothing like showering in a storm and then hunting for your food.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2014, 11:56:06 AM
Cover yourself in tinfoil and stand outside holding a long metal rod.

Hang on a minute... I remember what happened to Father Stone. That's not a good idea.