Predict the 2012 Connacht SFC winners

Started by BennyCake, May 16, 2012, 12:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the 2012 Connacht Senior Football Championship?

Galway
6 (11.8%)
Leitrim
0 (0%)
London
3 (5.9%)
Mayo
31 (60.8%)
Roscommon
7 (13.7%)
Sligo
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: May 20, 2012, 12:54:00 AM

BennyCake

sligoman2

Sligo - were rank outsiders which means we have a chance
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Well, a Rossie is going to lift the cup either way..

stephenite

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2012, 02:49:55 AM

It's a big assumption that'll be either Mayo or Roscommon, but if it does eventuate that Mayo win, the roll of honour will still show us over 20 titles ahead of the Rossies, and nobody will give a monkeys w**k about who captained the victorious side.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on May 16, 2012, 03:50:52 AM

It's a big assumption that'll be either Mayo or Roscommon, but if it does eventuate that Mayo win, the roll of honour will still show us over 20 titles ahead of the Rossies, and nobody will give a monkeys w**k about who captained the victorious side.
London are going to give Leitrim a fair rattle I'd say. Know a lad on the squad and said they are up for it big time. Might throw down a couple of bob on them.

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

ross4life

Not a dig btw but Mayo 3 All Ireland's is a poor return from all those Connacht titles.

Like last year's it's Mayo's Connacht title to lose but Mayo have a poor record in the championship after reaching a league final & i wouldn't be surprised to see the winner to come from the other side of the draw.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on May 16, 2012, 09:49:22 PM

Not a dig btw but Mayo 3 All Ireland's is a poor return from all those Connacht titles.

Like last year's it's Mayo's Connacht title to lose but Mayo have a poor record in the championship after reaching a league final & i wouldn't be surprised to see the winner to come from the other side of the draw.

I totally agree. Worst strike rate in the country. What can we do, just keep on soldiering on after them and hope we can add number 4 before/after the next Connacht title. It's so frustrating looking at that stat though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2012, 09:53:43 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 16, 2012, 09:49:22 PM

I totally agree. Worst strike rate in the country. What can we do, just keep on soldiering on after them and hope we can add number 4 before/after the next Connacht title. It's so frustrating looking at that stat though.

But of course it s not like that at all. Strike rate has nothing to do with it. It s about if you re good enough to go the distance. We were good enough in 89, 96, 97, 98, 99 but blew it for one reason or another. We ve been poorly managed more often than not and that has been the major stumbling block down the years.

As regards strike rate.

Take the league final this year. Mayo were rank outsiders in most people s book, before the game but when we lost, like we were expected to, it was spun as another Mayo capitulation in Croke Park! It appears to be important that teams can be labelled and pigeonholed in the dismal media- and we all know how people are influenced by that. Dismissed beforehand but yet ridiculled afterwards when they fail to do what they are not expected to do in the first place! Figure that out.

We are not the only Connacht team that have a poor strike rate. Galway lost 3 AI from 3 in the 70s. But that was ok because they won 3 in arow in the 60s. Ros won 4 Connachts in a row 77-80 and only managed to make an AI final in the last year. A very settled team - could name them all - and with their provincal dominance they were probably the biggest chokers of the lot from the province on the big stage. They had the quality players, settled team and repeated goes at it. The only other teams with the act together at the time were Dub. and Kerry.

ross4life

We are not the only Connacht team that have a poor strike rate. Galway lost 3 AI from 3 in the 70s. But that was ok because they won 3 in arow in the 60s. Ros won 4 Connachts in a row 77-80 and only managed to make an AI final in the last year. A very settled team - could name them all - and with their provincal dominance they were probably the biggest chokers of the lot from the province on the big stage. They had the quality players, settled team and repeated goes at it. The only other teams with the act together at the time were Dub. and Kerry.
Yes other Connacht teams have a poor strike rate but Mayo have the worst. To say we were probably the "biggest chokers" is pure nonsense, have you forgotten one of the finest ever GAA sides (Kerry) was around then? certainly a better team than Meath 96,Kerry 97,04,06 teams that beat Mayo in finals.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Fair enough moysider. Anyway, am I the only one here who would like to see the home/away system go out the window on provincial final day?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2012, 11:37:29 PM
Fair enough moysider. Anyway, am I the only one here who would like to see the home/away system go out the window on provincial final day?
why? what would you replace it with permanent placement  in hyde park? in the hell hole that is roscommon town , no thanks
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

western exile

Quote from: rosnarun on May 17, 2012, 12:58:28 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2012, 11:37:29 PM
why? what would you replace it with permanent placement   ;Din hyde park? in the hell hole that is roscommon town , no thanks
I like it. A unique provincial system in the GAA. Without a fixed venue like in Ulster or Leinster the only other possibility would be to use a neutral venue. But where is the craic in that?

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on May 16, 2012, 11:36:03 PM
Yes other Connacht teams have a poor strike rate but Mayo have the worst. To say we were probably the "biggest chokers" is pure nonsense, have you forgotten one of the finest ever GAA sides (Kerry) was around then? certainly a better team than Meath 96,Kerry 97,04,06 teams that beat Mayo in finals.

What we did in 97 against Kerry was unforgivable, I ll give you that. But the Kerry team 04 -06 was a different kettle of fish altogether. That Indo supplement on Monday had nearly as many players from the 04-06 era as from the 70s on the best Kerry team last 50 years. Mark, Tomás and Dara O Sé, Moynihan and Cooper anyway. Not saying I d agree with their selection - John Egan was left off among other things - but 04-06 was easily approaching the 70s team in quality. And that Ros team didn t play Kerry every year after Connacht. Remember the Armagh games? They had 4 years of semis.
On a different note, as regards that Indo piece on counties. If it was as poor on other counties as it was on Mayo .......

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on May 17, 2012, 01:32:28 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 16, 2012, 11:36:03 PM

What we did in 97 against Kerry was unforgivable, I ll give you that. But the Kerry team 04 -06 was a different kettle of fish altogether. That Indo supplement on Monday had nearly as many players from the 04-06 era as from the 70s on the best Kerry team last 50 years. Mark, Tomás and Dara O Sé, Moynihan and Cooper anyway. Not saying I d agree with their selection - John Egan was left off among other things - but 04-06 was easily approaching the 70s team in quality. And that Ros team didn t play Kerry every year after Connacht. Remember the Armagh games? They had 4 years of semis.
On a different note, as regards that Indo piece on counties. If it was as poor on other counties as it was on Mayo .......

I seen the indo stuff during the week was picking individual players. I'm talking about a team & the 04,06 Kerry teams wasn't anywhere near the level of the 70s teams.We lost in 1977 after a replay to Armagh by one point,Dublin by one point in 79 other years we went down to Kerry. Chokers you think in truth unfortunate.

rosnarun must try harder.