Predict the 2012 Ulster SFC winners

Started by BennyCake, May 16, 2012, 12:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the 2012 Ulster Senior Football Championship?

Antrim
7 (8.3%)
Armagh
11 (13.1%)
Cavan
5 (6%)
Derry
6 (7.1%)
Donegal
12 (14.3%)
Down
7 (8.3%)
Fermanagh
5 (6%)
Monaghan
2 (2.4%)
Tyrone
29 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: May 20, 2012, 12:44:05 AM

BennyCake

Who's your money on?

Can't see Donegal doing it again, so I'm going for Tyrone.

POBreaslain

I think that the Donegal lads will surprise everyone and pull another Anglo-Celt out of the bag. Fingers crossed. ;-)

Ard-Rí

Tír Eoghain, I think they're better than they showed against Cill Dara.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

tbrick18

Before a ball was kicked this year I hoped we could build on last year and win an Ulster, but given how we've been going and the amount of injuries we've had I just cant see it at the minute.
I actually think Armagh are dark horses. I'm not sure about Tyrone, they waltzed through division 2 but to be fair, the division was poor this year so it's difficult to read to much into that. Down without Coulter, just wont happen IMO. I think teams are onto Donegal now and I dont see them winning Ulster. So given that Cross have won the AI Club again and Armagh seem to be building up a head of steam I'm going for them.

sheamy

Down may come through to the final but don't look like they have the firepower to overcome Tyrone or Donegal. If Armagh catch Tyrone out I also think they'd struggle for firepower against Donegal. The loss of McDonnell is a big one for them this year I think and it may take them a wee while to fill that hole. The big game is obviously Tyrone v Donegal if that happens, as it appears it will. Will be very tight and a fascinating prospect. The massive unknown is the fitness of Murphy for Donegal. If he's not right, then Donegal won't score enough to beat Tyrone. Like the loss of McDonnell I think the loss of Ronan O'Neill and Coney is massive for Tyrone. New players yes but it would have been new energy and ideas in there. Puts the onus on Stevie O'Neill and Mulligan again with uncertain results. Sean Cavanagh will have to move further forward if Tyrone are to really progress. It's tight between the two. A few months back I said Donegal but the run of injuries to Murphy shifts the thing the Red Hands way, as I see the bookies agree with.

Verdict: Tyrone.

rrhf

Well if you believe the rumour mill Derry are rowing and bitching among themselves, so count them out. 

Based on last couple of years
Expect a consistent solid challenge from Donegal  my favourites
risers: Cavan, (just a hunch) Armagh, slight improvements in Fermanagh 
fallers : Tyrone, Down, Monaghan, Derry
will stay average : Antrim,
Wish they played in Ulster for the craic.  New York. 

J OGorman

Quote from: rrhf on May 16, 2012, 09:57:27 AM
Well if you believe the rumour mill Derry are rowing and bitching among themselves, so count them out. 

Based on last couple of years
Expect a consistent solid challenge from Donegal  my favourites
risers: Cavan, (just a hunch) Armagh, slight improvements in Fermanagh 
fallers : Tyrone, Down, Monaghan, Derry
will stay average : Antrim,
Wish they played in Ulster for the craic.  New York. 

yawn...I've a tenner on them winning the all-ireland, so they had better group hug and be quick about it

If Murphy's fit, Donegal for me. Armagh have a decent chance or god forbide Tyrone dive and feign serious 30 second skull injuries their way to it

rrhf

Without the strong standard bearing footballing counties like Tyrone or Armagh who are both at development stage, the whole look of the Ulster championship becomes very average.  What you have is that everyone else stays the same its just the standard bearers go through lean years, but theres rarely a sound progression with the also rans - they,ll never win an all ireland and they might bully you into a first round defeat but they have little to offer outside this.  Who wants to see Down without Coulter, Donegal without Murphy, Cavan without Johnston, Derry without Muldoon, Monaghan without Freeman, Antrim without CJ. The door looks to be open for Big Seamie from Fermanagh to take the championship by storm.   

Oak Leafer

As much as it pains me to say it, Donegal will be very difficult to beat if Murphy is fit.

It has been mentioned that 'everyone is onto Donegal'. Yes we all know how they play, but does anyone have the formula for breaking them down and beating them? Dublin just about overcame them, which in my opinion was more down to slightly higher levels of fitness & conditioning and a bit of luck but they had to play them at their own game to do so. In my eyes all intercounty managers bar the top 2/3 (though they may have to!) will adopt similar tactics. Our game is going to become extremely hard to watch before it gets better!

In my eyes, there is very little between Donegal, Tyrone, Down, Armagh and Derry. Therefore on their day, any of these teams could beat each other. I just wouldn't be having a bet!

magpie seanie

I suspect Tyrone are a bit better than they were last year when they were a little unlucky not to win Ulster so I'll go for them.

shawshank

Quote from: Oak Leafer on May 16, 2012, 10:49:47 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, Donegal will be very difficult to beat if Murphy is fit.

It has been mentioned that 'everyone is onto Donegal'. Yes we all know how they play, but does anyone have the formula for breaking them down and beating them? Dublin just about overcame them, which in my opinion was more down to slightly higher levels of fitness & conditioning and a bit of luck but they had to play them at their own game to do so. In my eyes all intercounty managers bar the top 2/3 (though they may have to!) will adopt similar tactics. Our game is going to become extremely hard to watch before it gets better!

In my eyes, there is very little between Donegal, Tyrone, Down, Armagh and Derry. Therefore on their day, any of these teams could beat each other. I just wouldn't be having a bet!

That explains why Derry have done so well in the championship over the past 12 years. One reason might be that Derry have about 6 genuine county standard players.  :o Winner to come from either Tyrone or Donegal.

omagh_gael

I would have been pretty confident of a Tyrone win about 2 months ago but the loss of Coney and Ronan O'Neill, who would have provided a much needed shot of youth, has damped my optimism. Being on the harder side of the draw means the majority of the tougher games will be played before the final. If we can get through those I'd be much more confident of beating the pick of Down, Antrim etc.

nrico2006

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 16, 2012, 01:22:43 PM
I would have been pretty confident of a Tyrone win about 2 months ago but the loss of Coney and Ronan O'Neill, who would have provided a much needed shot of youth, has damped my optimism. Being on the harder side of the draw means the majority of the tougher games will be played before the final. If we can get through those I'd be much more confident of beating the pick of Down, Antrim etc.

Feeling the same regarding Coney and O'Neill.  Now we are basically going out with the team that was shown up pretty badly last year. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

EC Unique

Coney is the big loss. O Neill would not have been a starter IMO. Still a loss though. I thing it is tyrone's title to loss this year. They left it behind them last year by falling asleep against Donegal. A few things happened in that game that will help the motivation this year and the younger guys have gained a fair bit of experience this year. Armagh v Tyrone is the big game from which the ulster champions will emerge. I expect it to be Tyrone.

Rois

Donegal again.

I heard Jim McGuinness on Highland Radio last Sunday and he convinced me.