All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Surely the final needs a thread of it's own.

It's a pity Captain Stephen Kernan will miss the final. I think the Cross lads will win, so that would be very disappointing for Kernan as he wouldn't be able to collect the trophy.

ross4life

Like St. Brigid's last year Garrycastle will be big underdogs our lads got close but the Westmeath lads will be hoping to go one better. They have tight marking defenders a midfield pairing as good as I've at club level in recent years & in Des Dolan they have one of the best club forwards in Ireland.

Unlike Dublin's win it would be good for football if Garrycastle win but this Crossmaglen side are machine like & with better scoring options than last year i expect them to win this final more than last year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AFS

Stephen Kernan is a big loss for Cross. Not only is he an important part of their forward line, but also third choice midfield. If anything happens to McKenna or Hanratty Cross could find themselves in a bit of bother around the middle, which would give Garrycastle a fighting chance of an upset. On the flip side, as bcb1 alluded to on another thread, Cross will derive a lot of additional motivation from this, which probably eliminates any chance Garrycastle had of catching them a bit cold.

DuffleKing

Am I right in saying that McKenna didn't start the semi?

Syferus

Garrycastle can make this a very simple exercise if they win the middle. Mulvehill is a great distributor of the ball and in Dessie Dolan they have a player who can give the Cross backs as bad a day at the office as Kilbride did in last year's final. Garrycastle know this is their one chance to win an All-Ireland.

Garrycastle to pull one out of the fire.

blast05

Garrycastle forward line with Gary Dolan, Patrick Mulvihill, James Dolan and Dessie (Dessie just 3rd best of this bunch in the semi) ..... i'd actually almost take this forward line over the Cross one. Only problem is that they are short on a couple more.
Same with midfield  .... David Shaugnessey and Seanie Donoghue over any club pairing in the country.

However, its still Cross to win in my view as just too much experience and i just can't see Garrycastle handling the Cross forward line.

Farneylawd2011

Big loss for Cross.Cross have 24 hours if they want to appeal again or leave it.I hope they will appeal as Steven is an excellent player and i don't think it would be right for the Cross captain missing out on the biggest game ever.I think the Croke Park need to watch that reply of the incident very carefully again and have a few of the country's good refs look at the tape to and see what they think.

imtommygunn

I very much doubt it will be a very simple exercise for Garrycastle whether they win midfield or not. Cross defense is none too shabby so even if Garrycastle get a load of ball they'll still have to work for scores. Dessie Dolan may be deadly but last day out they were marking the Gooch.

Real pity for Kernan - I don't think any of the Kernans are at all dirty so feel a bit for him. It did appear like he lashed out and maybe struck though so I guess had to be upheld if they deemed it as a strike.

Would be good to see Garrycastle put it up to Cross. Kernan missing will help but potentially Tony Kernan could go in there.

Captain Obvious

They came to a decision pointless appealing it again. Up to his team mates to win the cup for him now. If Cross win will Stephen Kernan be allowed to pick up the cup?

Candyman

armaghranger12

Quote from: blast05 on March 02, 2012, 11:22:55 PM
Garrycastle forward line with Gary Dolan, Patrick Mulvihill, James Dolan and Dessie (Dessie just 3rd best of this bunch in the semi) ..... i'd actually almost take this forward line over the Cross one. Only problem is that they are short on a couple more.
Same with midfield  .... David Shaugnessey and Seanie Donoghue over any club pairing in the country.

However, its still Cross to win in my view as just too much experience and i just can't see Garrycastle handling the Cross forward line.

Very confusing, so you wouldn't actually take the Garycastle midfield and forward line over the Cross midfield and forward line or would you? your saying one thing and then saying a different thing in the end.

emmetryan

Maintaining good supply is going to be a big challenge for Garrycastle. In three games I've watched them, there have been phases where the full backs were disconnected from the rest of the team to the point at it disrupted moving the ball upfield. The way Cross press in waves, it's going to be vital for Garrycastle's defence to establish itself early.

Seanie O'Donoghue, who has had a great campaign, is going to be a big factor. If he stays the defensive side of midfield he could prove a huge asset in terms of creating attacks from deep. Should be a cracker either way.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

intheknowhow

I think they key question is will Garycastle be able to match Crossmaglens work rate and physicality in the opening 20 minutes? I have my doubts that they will and Cross should run out winners due to their experience in the competeition and hunger to win.

Milltown Row2

Cross have played against various styles, tactics, and players. They have a game plan which eventually wears down the opponents. They don't panic and they really don't change their own style of play, and why should they? If Garrycastle play defensively they will be broke down in the end as they won't score as much, the Cross sweeper (AK) will act as another forward and score at will.

Garrycastle will have the same hunger as Cross but that will only get you so far in this match, Dolan won't feature on the playing side of things as he'll be marked very closely. His free taking will be crucial for Garrycastle to stay in the match. If Cross can keep the free count down they should win by 5 pulling up. How Garrycastle cope with appearing in Croke Park on Paddy's day in front of 25/30 thousand people will also be a deciding factor. Running out under the Hogan Stand is daunting enough.

I hope It's a tight match for the neutrals out there but would prefer Cross to win. Some team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2012, 12:13:00 PM
Cross have played against various styles, tactics, and players. They have a game plan which eventually wears down the opponents. They don't panic and they really don't change their own style of play, and why should they? If Garrycastle play defensively they will be broke down in the end as they won't score as much, the Cross sweeper (AK) will act as another forward and score at will.

Garrycastle will have the same hunger as Cross but that will only get you so far in this match, Dolan won't feature on the playing side of things as he'll be marked very closely. His free taking will be crucial for Garrycastle to stay in the match. If Cross can keep the free count down they should win by 5 pulling up. How Garrycastle cope with appearing in Croke Park on Paddy's day in front of 25/30 thousand people will also be a deciding factor. Running out under the Hogan Stand is daunting enough.

I hope It's a tight match for the neutrals out there but would prefer Cross to win. Some team

:o Jaysus Milltown, you hardly think this is the first match where Dessie will be a marked man from the outset? Dessie always features.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...