Drink drinking laws

Started by BennyCake, February 24, 2012, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

OK, I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me...

What is the law regarding drink driving? Not the legal limit and all that, as I dont drink and drive. But, at what point can someone be arrested/fined for drink driving? As far as I was aware, it was when you actually put the key into the ignition. Is this correct, or is it a grey area, or does it depend on what mood the "Piznee" (PSNI) are in at the time?

fitzroyalty

I thought it was if you were in the driver seat you could be done for it, no?

oisinog

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 24, 2012, 02:58:37 PM
I thought it was if you were in the driver seat you could be done for it, no?

If you have car keys on you, You can be done for being in charge of a vehicle while intoxicated

brokencrossbar1

Throw them under the seat, you'll be fine ;)

AZOffaly

I think that you can be done if you approach the drivers seat with the keys in hand. I know someone that was 'approached' when they had their hand on the drivers door, but they were clean anyway so it didn't matter. They didn't get breathalysed but they did get the 'Where are you coming from?'

deiseach

Quote from: BennyCake on February 24, 2012, 02:52:41 PM
Drink drinking laws

Never was the use of a Fr Jack Hackett avatar more appropriate

Denn Forever

Is it true or an old wives tale that you can be banned from driving if you caught riding  bike when drunk?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

oisinog

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 24, 2012, 04:25:54 PM
Is it true or an old wives tale that you can be banned from driving if you caught riding  bike when drunk?

Motor bike/moped yes. Dont know about a normal push bike

David McKeown

Quote from: oisinog on February 24, 2012, 04:43:57 PM

Motor bike/moped yes. Dont know about a normal push bike

Strangely enough you can as happened in Newry court recently but it's very rare.

In answer to the first question you only commit one of the drink driving offences at the point you move the car through the use of the engine. Any of the drink driving offences carry a minimum 12 month driving ban in the North.

You can be done for an incharge offence if you have control over the vehicle for example if you have the keys and are approaching the vehicle or more commonly sitting or sleeping in the car. In charge offences usually car a ban however you can get 10penlty points instead. This usually only happens if it's clear you weren't going to drive the vehicle
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Eamonnca1

You can be done for being drunk in charge of a lawnmower or any kind of plant where it's dangerous.

Croí na hÉireann

One of the lads I play football with had an impromptu after work session last summer and attempted to cycle home after it. Came off the bike and creamed himself. Cops saw this, threw him and his bike in the back of the Paddy wagon and dropped him home before he did himself any more damage  :D I'm sure if they were less lenient they could have done him for being a danger to himself. He had some shiner to show for his efforts anyway.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mayo4Sam

I was brought to court for being a danger to myself, no front lights and no back lights, three different charges. Apparently I was looking at a 3 x £50 fine. I was too drunk to give the  Garda a false address but he said he'd let me off if I walked it home, must have seen me back on it down the road.
Either way he never showed at the court
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thejuice

I slept in my car at a music festival last year rather than shell out for a camping ticket.

I was fairly full each night.

So was I technically breaking the law?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Lecale2

Yip. Drunk in charge.

I've Cycled home a fair few times after a skinfull and only came off a few times. Getting started is grand it's the stopping i always have problems with.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM
I was brought to court for being a danger to myself, no front lights and no back lights, three different charges. Apparently I was looking at a 3 x £50 fine. I was too drunk to give the  Garda a false address but he said he'd let me off if I walked it home, must have seen me back on it down the road.
Either way he never showed at the court

:D I've partook in this sport on occasion, never come off though #amateurs
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...