Handshaking before matches

Started by BennyCake, February 07, 2012, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Is it just me or does anyone else think this handshaking malarky before soccer matches is a load of bollocks? I see it's creeping into the GAA now too.

All the talk of would Rio shake John Terry's hand? Would Wayne Bridge shake John Terry's hand? For feck sake, it's like wee girls pulling each others ponytails in primary school.

Theres plenty of time for handshakes afterwards, as all good sportsmen should do anyway. But this forced debacle beforehand gives me the shites!

trileacman

Handshakes before kick-off has been in the GAA for ages, not everyone would do it and it wasn't mandatory or foul play if neither of you bothered. That's the way it is and probably will remain, there's no need for mandatory handshakes before a match as soccer have it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

heganboy

absolutely always made a point of shaking hands with whoever I lined up against before and after any game of football. Its just good manners.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nrico2006

Quote from: heganboy on February 07, 2012, 01:31:45 PM
absolutely always made a point of shaking hands with whoever I lined up against before and after any game of football. Its just good manners.

I assumed everyone did it.  I had to think there if I did, as it is so much part of routine when lining up for throw in.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: trileacman on February 07, 2012, 01:27:05 PM
Handshakes before kick-off has been in the GAA for ages,

Never saw a "kick off" in any GAA game ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

I don't have any love for handshakes before a game. For certain, afte,r once you are well beaten.

I asked me Dad once his view. "Handshake" sez he "I'd prefer to hit him a box" And, sadly, many times he did. As you had to in Longford in the 50s, just to survive!

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 07, 2012, 01:37:20 PM

I assumed everyone did it.  I had to think there if I did, as it is so much part of routine when lining up for throw in.

To take it a step further, do you shake hands with your man when you get called ashore??!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

I hate the lining up and presentation of the teams to the President that has crept in to game a Croke Park.  Maybe the players enjoy it?

Re the prematch handshake, I always thought of it as "I may hurt you during the game so sorry.  And I accept that you may do the same.  So lets play".
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

I once played on a team where one of our lads went on the field before a match and gave an opposing player a big hug - presume he was a long lost mate or something. At half time our manager, who was like one of d'unbelievables, started roaring at him that he shouldn't be hugging the opposing player, you should be spitting on his grave! I'd be inclined to think along similar lines, don't be shaking hands or chatting with the opposition until the battle has finished.

armaghniac

A handshake is OK, but some people go overboard with the pats on the back.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 07, 2012, 01:37:20 PM

To take it a step further, do you shake hands with your man when you get called ashore??!

Has never happened.  I always shake the hand of the new man thats put on me though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Hand shake is grand and what separates us from the animals. I would make a point of shaking hands before and after matches. Woe betide any **** that offers a limp  fish. I hate it and it's nearly worse than not shaking hands.

Hardy

Always say "that's a very limp handshake, son. Get ready to be walked on" - no matter how firm his handshake. Puts you in the driving seat straight away. Make sure you're wearing your gumshield, though, just in case.

HiMucker

Its good craic when you get a knob that A)refuses to shake your hand B)Slaps yur hand away or C) Shakes your hand but tries to squeeze it really hard.  Great to get a wee bit of added motivation!

deiseach

Surely BennyCake's point is that the formal handshake before the match is compete nonsense? The upcoming pleasantries between Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra is going to be some joke