RTE and SKY Live Coverage of GAA Championships 2014

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 18, 2011, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

How can it negotiate replays? That would mean every game would have to be included in these negotiations, including qualifier games whose pairings would be unknown. I would imagine negotiating the value of the TV coverage and the timing of potential replays would be quite complex.

QuoteThis isn't the 1980s, RTÉ has 5 channels on Saorview and TG4 would probably love to show this game.
The "obstacles" are all ones that various people have contrived to put in place.

If RTE could show it at 5pm on Saturday, then why wouldn't they?

armaghniac

Quote from: Zulu on June 27, 2014, 05:57:15 PM
How can it negotiate replays? That would mean every game would have to be included in these negotiations, including qualifier games whose pairings would be unknown. I would imagine negotiating the value of the TV coverage and the timing of potential replays would be quite complex.

The GAA doesn't have to extract the last Euro from the pricing of replays, which are relatively uncommon.

In fairness, this is not RTÉ's fault, nor the GAA's, but the government which would not allow the likes of RTÉ+1 (which doesn't open until 19:00) be used for this kind of thing. Pressure needs to be brought to bear on this matter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

QuoteThe GAA doesn't have to extract the last Euro from the pricing of replays, which are relatively uncommon.

The GAA shouldn't be giving away an TV rights for free. We'll all survive not seeing some games, if they can be shown great but there are 50+ games so I think negotiating a TV deal on the basis that any of them could go to a replay is a bit unrealistic.

QuoteIn fairness, this is not RTÉ's fault, nor the GAA's, but the government which would not allow the likes of RTÉ+1 (which doesn't open until 19:00) be used for this kind of thing. Pressure needs to be brought to bear on this matter.

Well it would be great if these channels can show games and I don't know why there would be government regulations preventing RTE channels outside of 1 and 2 showing them but that obviously wasn't going to be changed for this game so the game couldn't be shown on this occasion.

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2014, 06:20:39 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 27, 2014, 05:57:15 PM

The GAA doesn't have to extract the last Euro from the pricing of replays, which are relatively uncommon.

In fairness, this is not RTÉ's fault, nor the GAA's, but the government which would not allow the likes of RTÉ+1 (which doesn't open until 19:00) be used for this kind of thing. Pressure needs to be brought to bear on this matter.

How are the govt to blame???!!

You were right earlier though, TG4 would be perfect for it

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 27, 2014, 10:24:53 PM
How are the govt to blame???!!

To protect "competition" and not abuse "state funding" RTÉ are restricted in what they can do.
But everyone will rant at the GAA, at RTÉ and Sky, not one will call their TD and have this changed.

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 27, 2014, 10:24:53 PM
You were right earlier though, TG4 would be perfect for it

I'd say TG4 might be persuaded to take a Galway game, as a public service, of course.

Armaghgeddon

Peter McDonnell is now spelt Peter McDonal according to Sky

Ringfort

First time seeing some of the Sky coverage (cheers coolsport) tonight. Your one is an absolute honey but what class of an accent has she altogether? Some sort of f*cked up Loinster/TV thing maybe. And did they hire Senan Connell cos they thought he was Andy Townsend?

armaghniac

Can the BBC cover the Armagh / Monaghan replay?

glens73

Quote from: armaghniac on June 28, 2014, 10:24:35 PM
Can the BBC cover the Armagh / Monaghan replay?

Only if RTE show it, which they probably won't

Hoof Hearted

Did you hear Jamie Carragher being on the ball a couple of times - didnt know he came out of retirement !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

drici

RTÉ only matches

5th July Clare v Wexford
6th July Cork v Kerry   Dublin v Kilkenny

12th July Football Qualifier 2B/3A
13th July Mayo v Galway   Cork v Limerick

20th July Dublin v Meath   Monaghan/Armagh v Donegal

27th July All Ireland Senior Hurling Quarter Final   All Ireland Senior Hurling Quarter Final

3rd August All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final   All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final

Looks like Down v Kildare and Tyrone v Monaghan/Armagh are going to be ruled out of being the live match on 12th July.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on June 27, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2014, 02:01:50 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 27, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2014, 12:45:19 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on June 27, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
Very disappoint that none of these channels can show the Kilkenny V Galway reply.

Can't believe how this is allowed to happen...contract or no contract.

The contract was drawn up in the full knowledge that this might happen. These issues need to looked at, in my opinion.

No TV company, SKY, RTE or TV3 are going to pay money for exclusive rights for games when there's a possibility that another game would be aired at the same time, it just wouldn't be considered.

Have you ever heard of BT and Sky showing different premiership games at the same time?

On a side issue, when the Leinster Council failed to reach agreement with RTE on screening the game, could they have went to Sky and offered to play the game at 5PM and still allow Sky to broadcast the football at 7PM?
Could they have GONE !!!
There'd be some moaning here if the did offer it to Sky.

No I don't think they would have been able to strike a deal with SKY.

SKY have bid for a number of games already set out and as far as I am aware and without drafting of a new contract then this wont be changing.

So Sky have bid for a set number of games, yet RTE's contract is open ended?

AZOffaly

I told ye this was a great thing!!! Even HRH herself is smitten.

Seriously, how embarrassing is this piece? Cringe. Liam O'Neill is a bit sickening sometimes. What's that our Dub cousins say? 'Scarleh for ya'?

QuoteThe Queen of England is hurling's newest fan

The broadcasting of the GAA on Sky Sports has seen plenty of dumfounded British people fall in love with our national sports.

Hurling, in particular, received widespread acclaim across the water with new viewers impressed with the speed and ferocity of the game.

However, the GAA can count Queen Elizabeth among its newest fans, after she admitted to GAA president Liam O'Neill that she had tuned into a hurling game and thoroughly enjoyed it.

O'Neill was dining with her majesty at City Hall, Belfast during her visit to the Northern Irish capital. The GAA chief was stunned when she began speaking with him about hurling and added that she was very impressed with it.

Speaking with the Irish Independent, O'Neill spoke about how the conversation started.

"I was privileged to sit a table for lunch with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth of England last week — we had met before in Croke Park when she had visited — and we touched the topic of hurling and she said yes, she seen it.

"She saw it on television on Sky, she said 'I'm not quite sure how I got it' but she said it was wonderful. She made a side-to-side motion with her head saying it was very fast and it was a wonderful game.

He added that he's unsure which game she watched and he didn't press her on the matter.

"I'm not sure whether it was Offaly v Kilkenny or Wexford v Dublin, we didn't go into detail on that because you can only engage her for a certain amount of time in a group of nine but the fact of the matter is that she says she saw it and I just think it's interesting that she did. I know she's only one person but it's interesting she was there, she was engaged by it and she said it was a wonderful game," said O'Neill.

Incredibly, it is less than 100 years since British Authorities informed Luke O'Toole, General Secretary of the GAA, that no Gaelic Games were permitted unless the received a special permit from Dublin Castle.

Back in 1918, it would have been unimaginable to Irish people that the Queen of England would admit to watching the sport.

We've certainly come a long way!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

The British queen with same ould shite you hear from hurling bores everywhere.