Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 08:32:50 PM
I hate to break it to you but Galway have plenty of beasts in there too. They do plenty of strength and conditioning. They just don't do it as well and probably don't have hurlers of the same level.
None of the other teams are anywhere near Limerick's S&Clevel
We don't know how the others would perform hurlingwise because we never had a  level s&C.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2023, 08:50:03 PM
I hate to break it to you but Galway have plenty of beasts in there too. They do plenty of strength and conditioning. They just don't do it as well and probably don't have hurlers of the same level.
We don't know how the others would perform hurlingwise because we never had a  level s&C.

S&C is available to every team, the players need to commit to it, it's simple, either you follow a plan or don't. The reality is Limerick are able to stick to the plan because they believe in it and gets rewards..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I was reading on a social media post that Galway had a decent financial backing too? It's very easy to just say limerick have more money but there's a lot more to it than that.

rodney trotter

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 09:48:53 PM

I was reading on a social media post that Galway had a decent financial backing too? It's very easy to just say limerick have more money but there's a lot more to it than that.

Galway spent over 2 million on their Inter County teams in 2022.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41014745.html#:~:text=GALWAY%20have%20become%20the%20first,an%20eye%2Dwatering%20%E2%82%AC2%2C161%2C497.

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 06:34:49 PM
Mouview I think you are being a bit harsh on Kilkenny there.

Not at all. Galway get plenty of stick whenever they lose a match, let some other county suffer the same hysterical analysis for doing the same.

Saffrongael

S&C is part of it but this Limerick team are way off the charts in other areas.

I have never seen a more composed team, they are impossible to rattle. They just keep going, even when 5,6 or 7 points behind.  They are totally selfless, nobody trying to be a hero. They always look for the man in a better position. David Reidy tracked back and was on the end line tackling for that Kilkenny batted goal chance at the very end. They are a rare breed.

Hard to believe they were underdogs against Galway in the 2018 final when this all started.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

S&C had very little to do with Peter Casey's 5 points, (barring the shrug off on Mikey Butler), he'd white chalk on his boots for three of them, now from a Galway perspective who could you trust to do the same for them?

Conor Cooney would put over a worldy one minute and then miss an easy chance the next, he'd have put at best two of those over, Niland needs space, Casey was well chaperoned on three of those points and still got them over, Whelan, who I rate highly BTW would also have put at least two of those wide, Cathal O'Neill comes on and puts over one of the best points of the day while being closed in tight to the sideline on the Cusack stand side of the ground.

That is the difference between Limerick and the chasing pack, when the pressure comes on their shooting averages are far higher than anyone else.

Limericks one weakness is in dealing with high ball in on their fullback line, Kilkenny, Galway and Clare got joy from those, but couldn't sustain the effort to get the ball into positions to allow good ball to get in their.

Is TJ done?   He's now moreso a playmaker, some of his passes yesterday in the second half would have resulted in good goal chances, one due to a slip and the other to a lad just getting it all wrong after that. It will be interesting if he goes another year, I can't see another Leinster title being enough to satisfy him, but we'll know more when Ballyhale exit the club championship (or win it again)..

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on July 26, 2023, 11:01:15 AM

S&C had very little to do with Peter Casey's 5 points, (barring the shrug off on Mikey Butler), he'd white chalk on his boots for three of them, now from a Galway perspective who could you trust to do the same for them?

Conor Cooney would put over a worldy one minute and then miss an easy chance the next, he'd have put at best two of those over, Niland needs space, Casey was well chaperoned on three of those points and still got them over, Whelan, who I rate highly BTW would also have put at least two of those wide, Cathal O'Neill comes on and puts over one of the best points of the day while being closed in tight to the sideline on the Cusack stand side of the ground.

That is the difference between Limerick and the chasing pack, when the pressure comes on their shooting averages are far higher than anyone else.

Limericks one weakness is in dealing with high ball in on their fullback line, Kilkenny, Galway and Clare got joy from those, but couldn't sustain the effort to get the ball into positions to allow good ball to get in their.

Is TJ done?   He's now moreso a playmaker, some of his passes yesterday in the second half would have resulted in good goal chances, one due to a slip and the other to a lad just getting it all wrong after that. It will be interesting if he goes another year, I can't see another Leinster title being enough to satisfy him, but we'll know more when Ballyhale exit the club championship (or win it again)..

Casey has the facility to score points from acute angles and while seemingly being tightly marked. Limerick were freaky in their purple patch on Sunday though as everything they hit, wind-aided, went over the bar. As a team they've frequently had the propensity to hit a lot of wides in a match however, yes, even under pressure. E.g. 2018 AI final, 2023 league final, both Clare matches this year etc. Maybe the key to beating them is not to start well, like Galway and Kilkenny did in their games, but to tread water for as long as possible and then hammer the hammer by finishing strongly.

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on July 26, 2023, 12:22:43 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 26, 2023, 11:01:15 AM

Casey has the facility to score points from acute angles and while seemingly being tightly marked. Limerick were freaky in their purple patch on Sunday though as everything they hit, wind-aided, went over the bar. As a team they've frequently had the propensity to hit a lot of wides in a match however, yes, even under pressure. E.g. 2018 AI final, 2023 league final, both Clare matches this year etc. Maybe the key to beating them is not to start well, like Galway and Kilkenny did in their games, but to tread water for as long as possible and then hammer the hammer by finishing strongly.

Eire90

will dublin become a genuine all ireland contender in next 8 years

imtommygunn

Can't see it as they seem to be getting worse not better. Around 2012 or so they were beating kk and were genuine ai contenders(only for a year or so) and that was their chance I think...

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2023, 08:12:40 AM
Can't see it as they seem to be getting worse not better. Around 2012 or so they were beating kk and were genuine ai contenders(only for a year or so) and that was their chance I think...

They had a push under Daly but since then they've stood still. Very inconsistent and not enough quality.

Like this year, two draws and one of them was V Antrim in the first game (iirc), so they're on the back foot in that group straight away.

A few high profile managers hasn't made any difference either.

Very similar to Galway.  You just don't know what team is going to show up on the day.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 02, 2023, 09:02:28 AM

They had a push under Daly but since then they've stood still. Very inconsistent and not enough quality.

Like this year, two draws and one of them was V Antrim in the first game (iirc), so they're on the back foot in that group straight away.

Very similar to Galway.  You just don't know what team is going to show up on the day.

yeah, a bit spluttery alright, but if you'd a Con O'Callaghan in their ranks he'd make the power of difference, I seriously rate him, but he's never been tested at that level, but I'm sure there's plenty of Dublin hurling fans like myself love for him to give it a rattle.

Lots of Crokes lads didn't commit to the team in 2023, maybe more will on 2024, but who knows.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 02, 2023, 10:40:38 AM
Quote from: marty34 on August 02, 2023, 09:02:28 AM

yeah, a bit spluttery alright, but if you'd a Con O'Callaghan in their ranks he'd make the power of difference, I seriously rate him, but he's never been tested at that level, but I'm sure there's plenty of Dublin hurling fans like myself love for him to give it a rattle.

Lots of Crokes lads didn't commit to the team in 2023, maybe more will on 2024, but who knows.

Outwith Donal Burke, who's quality then they're light enough. Crummy away this year.  Doesn't seem to be the buy in that other counties have.

For whatever reason, maybe down to football?

Main issue, for me anyway,  would be that they're never consistent at minor or U20 level so there's no real new hope coming through.

Look at Limerick, not the best example I know but they put serious effort into their underage squads 10/12 years ago and brought the majority of them through minors and 20's. A once in a generation outfit but point still stands that they brought them through.

This is not happening in Dublin and other counties for that matter.

Maybe counties should focus on say, 3 decent academy squads, and put huge effort into them and bring them through alâ Limerick? Would that work?  Needs the will to be brave and do it.

Currently teams seem to be doing the same thing, year after year i.e. same squad with a couple of new lads on board/new manager on board but no real progress.  One year slips into 5 years and again, no real progress.

Be interesting to see how Limerick brought these lads through after 20's. Was it 10 the first year, then another 10 the next year?  Were their older players 'moved' to the side to facilitate this new batch of players?

If you look at the core 10/12 players of their panel, outwith Quaid, they're aged 25/28ish.

Milltown Row2

The average age on the Limerick team is 25.5
The average height is 6'1.5"
And the average weight is 13.8 stone

Its a serious physical outfit and those lads coming together at around the same time has given us the team Limerick are today, they have been together for a long time through juvenile and have been managed properly from those age groups into a senior team, winning it earlier has established a winning mentality and they just seem to be ready to go through the gears if they have to and hold on for a win or hammer home in the final 10 minutes of a game..

I think that there was seriously skillful talent and mad raw talent that has got better with coaching and tactics and creating a mindset that won't be beaten

The fitness levels along with the age, height and weight breaks opponents down throughout the game leaving gaps to knock over points in quick bursts.

Is this by design or as Marty says have they been brought through an development squad with this in mind

Either way its a joy to watch and there is no reason why they can't tag on at least another 3 titles with this squad
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea