The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyBoucherJr

Laois Cumann na mBunscol are due to meet this week to discuss the controversial events in one of the hurling finals in O'Moore Park last Thursday.

The Division 8 hurling final, the last game of the day on Thursday, was between Castletown's second team, primarily made up of the school's younger students, and Knockmay's first team. However it was alleged that Castletown played a number of their 'first' team in the game.

Furthermore, the match programme only listed first names for all of the Castletown players.

When the Castletown management were approached by members of the media looking for a complete team list before the game, it was claimed they were too busy getting the team prepared for the game to give out the names. It was then later claimed that there was 'legal reasons' they couldn't give full names as some of their players were going through 'deed poll'.

Knockmay actually led the game by 3-2 to 2-4 at half time with Cian Cleary, Jake Lawless and Davin Dunne all on the scoresheet.

But Castletown got on top in the second half and won by nine points in the end.

The result of the game stood, and even though Knockmay had been made aware of what Castletown had done, the cup presentation was carried out.

Afterwards, members of the media approached Castletown principal Monica Kennedy-Phelan, who is also Chairperson of Laois Cumann na mBunscol, and she confirmed that the school played some of their 'first' team in the game.

Ms Kennedy-Phelan stated the school took the decision on 'health and safety grounds', as their 'second' team was too small, and they were worried they could not physically compete with Knockmay.

She also confirmed that some of the students were going through deed poll and that is why the school declined to provide full names.

When the sides met in the group stages of the competition Knockmay came out on top.

Members of Laois Cumann na mBunscol have since confirmed that no rule prohibiting schools from using 'A' players on their 'B' teams currently exist, but that what Castletown admitted to doing was against the 'morals and spirit of the game'.

This is very poor from Castletown, the chairpersons position is untenable.

Target Man

Going solely on the two Laois today articles:

Its poor form from Castletown NS

For a chairperson of cnmb to endorse playing first team players on a b team is incredible imo. The health and safety excuse doesn't wash either. Team should not have entered in competition if not physically  developed enough to compete with other teams.

It's unfortunate that Knockmay is school on wrong end of this. It's likely a lot of their players don't come from a strong gaa background, something like this can easily finish them with hurling. There's no point in talking about developing hurling in Portlaoise then letting stuff like this happen

Don Draper

Thats cuntish in the extreme and very tough on players from both schools, the younger fellas who made it to a county final for Castletown never got to play in it. Thats almost as bad, if not worse than what was done to Knockmay.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on May 30, 2017, 02:07:49 PM
Thats cuntish in the extreme and very tough on players from both schools, the younger fellas who made it to a county final for Castletown never got to play in it. Thats almost as bad, if not worse than what was done to Knockmay.
It's possible that they were acting the maggot all year and didn't have a "B team" at all. You'd imagine these theoretical younger kids who supposedly got them to the final were coming up against older kids all spring? I'd say it's not one to brag about.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on May 30, 2017, 02:47:17 PM
It's possible that they were acting the maggot all year and didn't have a "B team" at all. You'd imagine these theoretical younger kids who supposedly got them to the final were coming up against older kids all spring? I'd say it's not one to brag about.
Wouldn't be hard find out. Team lists would be handed in for all games, and even Knockmay who played them earlier in the year would know who turned out against them.

Its bizarre behaviour though and shames all involved.

Target Man

Be tough work out if team lists are first names only  ::)

Uisce

Extremely bad form from whatever decision makers in Castletown did this. Considering how important playing team sports is in a child's formative years it really gives the wrong impression to both sets of students. Most likely nothing will come of this but it is a pity that this situation has arisen because of an adults selfishness.

Don Draper

Quote from: Target Man on May 30, 2017, 03:39:40 PM
Be tough work out if team lists are first names only  ::)
Curiouser and curiouser. A CNMB medal is not to be sniffed at though.

Giovanni

Isn't "deed poll" the procedure by which a person can change his/her name?

Is this a common thing in Casteltown? Are they joking or do they mean something else?

Maybe Willie Dunphy could change his name before the next round of the championship and avoid the ban??!

clonadmad

Agreed Ms Double Barrelled Principle sounds like a right person

"We won it and ye can do f**k all about it" was her initial reaction at the bottom of the podium to the opposition management on the day.

There is a CnaB EGM  called for tomorrow.

Where the Chairwoman may find herself in an untenable position

Mad Mentor

This absolutely stinks. What sort of morals are being taught by teachers who are prepared to stoop this low? If they had any conscience they would hand back the cup. Hiding behind "Health and Safety" is just shameful.

Clubber Lang

I cannot believe the attitude of the principal in all this. They have truly embarrassed themselves, the school and the local community. I am fully supportive of schools fielding second teams as I think every child should have an opportunity to play/participate in school sports. For some children it is the only chance they will ever get to play on a team and will provide them with some happy memories going forward. However, if the school needed some 'first team' players to make up the numbers to make this second team doable then let the opposition school know what you are doing and concede the games beforehand to the other school. I know of schools who have done this in the CnamB-the children don't need to know the agreement that is in place. I really feel sorry for the other school in all this-even if the result is overturned they have missed out on potentially winning a final in O'Moore Park. I wouldn't be surprised if 'first team' children were played in the group games as well, depriving another school of a chance to play in the final. The whole situation is a mess by the sounds of things. 

Keyser Söze

Looks very bad! Presume they had to submit a team list with full names on the day (not talking about the programme)
Presume they also had to name an A panel at the start of the year?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Maybe they now might close the loophole and introduce a simple system whereby A and B squads are declared at the start and can't move.

This also needs to be done at u12 level in the county where you have certain clubs shuttling players up and down the division's the closer they get to a semifinal or final.

Every other serious gaa county has a squad system in place,them again this is Laois.......

merman

This story is incredible.

I genuinely feel for all the kids here. Those 'A' players from Castletown were obviously instructed and coached to lie to the referees and officials. If my daughter's school asked her to do the same I'd have them enrolled somewhere else within days. Absolutely disgraceful.

Is it true that there is an EGM tomorrow? If so, I presume all schools can send representation? I know a couple of teachers who coach school teams but I'm not sure if they're part of the committee; I'm really hoping they will attend.