The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on April 05, 2017, 09:39:50 PM
How about putting in place a cumman na mbunscoil structure for the younger classes?.

I'm sure then the volunteers would come on board.

Cumann na mbunscoil is run by teachers?
There are some members of your club involved I would imagine. Have you ever asked them to do so?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on April 06, 2017, 12:11:12 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 05, 2017, 09:39:50 PM
How about putting in place a cumman na mbunscoil structure for the younger classes?.

I'm sure then the volunteers would come on board.

Cumann na mbunscoil is run by teachers?
There are some members of your club involved I would imagine. Have you ever asked them to do so?

I believe the people in charge are both tipperary people,when I see them I will mention it to them,they haven't been in sitiu too long and have already a CnaB Laois schools panel in place,so no doubt they would be implementing more initiatives which have worked in Tipp.

Clubber Lang

In Dublin there are Junior and Senior leagues in CnamB so from about 3/4th class on children are involved in playing matches. Different areas also run their own area leagues as well e.g. Fingal League which is for both Junior and Senior teams. If involved in both-playing football and hurler that is a considerable amount of games, aiding the development of young players. However, it relies hugely on the voluntary work of teachers to keep this going. We need to get more of our footballers and hurlers into the teaching career. Works well for the Kilkenny, Tipp and Waterford hurlers having so many go into teaching and then return to teach locally. They naturally end up getting involved in the coaching of teams at school and club level. 

finbar o tool

Cuman na mbunscoil is ran by the schools/teachers. Each school varies massively as to the commitment put into the teams. Some schools dont bother, some schools have great teachers involved and interested in the Gaa. Some schools allow local club coaches in to run it or coach or help out, some dont. I think theres also a limit to how many pupils can go on match days?
If the Gaa were truly trying to promote our games then the schools is where its at. Thats where they should be focusing most of their time, effort and money. They should be looking at ways to ensure every school has a good coach going in to coach from junior infants upwards. I know the school/club link exists but this is driven at local level and its very hard to get a coach interested enough, with the right personality, and a job that suits, to go into a school to coach. This is where funding and effort comes in from our county board and croke park itself. If we can get kids hooked on hurling and/or football in school then the numbers and talent within clubs will rise a lot easier.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

redsetanta

Is that not somewhere Colm Begley should be going along with other GDA's.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

finbar o tool

Quote from: redsetanta on April 06, 2017, 11:42:02 PM
Is that not somewhere Colm Begley should be going along with other GDA's.

They do, but not nearly enough. And it doesn't mean schools will do anything other than the odd days coaching from the GDAs.

Town3FB

Have we just spent this many pages critiquing and criticising cuman na bunscoil when they are now trying to do something that hasn't been done in years by our actual GAA committees? Jesus, I just can't understand why they haven't been brought in properly under the gaa umbrella. It makes no sense. I don't know why the fixtures aren't on the laoisgaa website. Surely more parents or other gaels would go if it were.

3rd and 4th class leagues, parish leagues, whatever the hell yous want...we now have, apparently, some real expertise from Tipperary and we're expecting them to turn water into wine overnight. Could we at least see how these panels work out first?
I'm sure we've had plenty of Laois folk involved who have done f**k all in recent years.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Town3FB on April 07, 2017, 12:25:36 AM
Have we just spent this many pages critiquing and criticising cuman na bunscoil when they are now trying to do something that hasn't been done in years by our actual GAA committees? Jesus, I just can't understand why they haven't been brought in properly under the gaa umbrella. It makes no sense. I don't know why the fixtures aren't on the laoisgaa website. Surely more parents or other gaels would go if it were.

3rd and 4th class leagues, parish leagues, whatever the hell yous want...we now have, apparently, some real expertise from Tipperary and we're expecting them to turn water into wine overnight. Could we at least see how these panels work out first?
I'm sure we've had plenty of Laois folk involved who have done f**k all in recent years.

????

Don Draper

Are you on drugs?

Laoisguy

Quote from: Don Draper on April 07, 2017, 07:20:00 AM

Are you on drugs?
Jesus Obviously

Johnny Depp more coherent in Las Vegas

merman

As first posts go; that's a doozy.

We have obvious deficits within our juvenile structures; a lot of them are to do with primary school-aged coaching and crucial early skills development. Cumann na mBunscol Laoise are actually considered one of the better county units in Leinster and there seems to be a fresh impetus now at extending into the area of Development Squads, hopefully with a view to identifying talent at an earlier age and improving the level and quality of young player who will enter into the first Laois GAA Development Squads at U14 level. Best of luck to those involved and I hope Laois GAA and the clubs continue to back this initiative.Despite a strong Tipperary influence, I actually believe the driving forces here are Laois-born teachers.

I haven't seen the Hurling panel listed anywhere. Has it been circulated beyond the schools/players themselves?
I understand they had their first session on Wednesday in Clonad. 

redsetanta

https://twitter.com/CLGLaois/status/850691826508075008/photo/1

This is great to see. Two squads down in Limerick and performing well. They will be moving into the senior ranks in the near future. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Minor hurling game against Offaly is going well. 1-09 to 0-06 for Laois. Live blog updates on Laois today website.

What a great new resource Laois Today is for GAA followers. Fair play to Stephen Millar and the rent of them.

justinn

Well done to the minors today, best of luck the next day against the Dubs.

Helix

Great win. You couldn't beat them by enough! Hopefully give the dubs a good game.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail