Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

How do others feel about United going all guns out to get Pochettino? In my view he has done an amazing job at Spurs and did a super job at Southampton before that. He is proven at building sides under constraints which would make him ideal for the United job. Given his record he is an attractive option for Bayern Munich or maybe even Real Madrid if they get fed up of ZZ.

I dont think united will get rid of OGS though but he is a great manager imo and if they dont get him they will regret it, I think Spurs will regret sacking him also rather than backing him.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Joeythelips on November 20, 2019, 10:40:05 AM
How do others feel about United going all guns out to get Pochettino? In my view he has done an amazing job at Spurs and did a super job at Southampton before that. He is proven at building sides under constraints which would make him ideal for the United job. Given his record he is an attractive option for Bayern Munich or maybe even Real Madrid if they get fed up of ZZ.

I dont think united will get rid of OGS though but he is a great manager imo and if they dont get him they will regret it, I think Spurs will regret sacking him also rather than backing him.
Hard to stand by him when he lost the changing room. He wouldn't be long losing the changing room in Utd either to be fair

Maroon Manc

Ole going to be under pressure after every bad result unfortunately, I'm open minded about Poch; Would love to see him at OT if it doesn't work out with Ole but lets see how he does first. Poch was going to cost United £40m to get him out of Spurs not he'll cost nothing which will appeal to Woodward. There's a big job available in Germany though which would be very hard to turn down too.

magpie seanie

I'd be more interested in some of the players Pochettino left behind at Spurs. They'll want to get out ahead of the clusterfcuk that's coming, or they should.

nrico2006

Pochettino is a funny one.  The majority of his key players were already at Spurs before he arrived and his transfer record is not great; how would he cope with a big budget?  I would nearly take Rodgers before him to be honest.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 20, 2019, 02:05:35 PM
Pochettino is a funny one.  The majority of his key players were already at Spurs before he arrived and his transfer record is not great; how would he cope with a big budget?  I would nearly take Rodgers before him to be honest.

He's not exactly been allowed to bring in top players so I wouldn't judge him on those players bought. Spurs wages bill was miles off the rest of the top 6 too. He wanted Periera in 2017 but Levy wouldn't pay his transfer clause and Spurs ended up with Aurier whilst Pereira went on to be the best right back in the league last year with Leicester.

He's worked wonders with some of those players who's careers were going nowhere before he turned up.

Bord na Mona man

People will look back and wonder how Pochettino managed to keep a group of seriously underpaid players motivated for so long.
The Spurs owners pushed their luck too far and it's going to bite them in the ass now.

If he is going to get the United job, it'll happen next summer. He'll be secretly approached now, terms and sweeteners agreed and he'll lie low for a few months.

nrico2006

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 20, 2019, 02:48:50 PM
People will look back and wonder how Pochettino managed to keep a group of seriously underpaid players motivated for so long.
The Spurs owners pushed their luck too far and it's going to bite them in the ass now.

If he is going to get the United job, it'll happen next summer. He'll be secretly approached now, terms and sweeteners agreed and he'll lie low for a few months.

I was thinking along the same lines although the Munich and Madrid jobs are in the mix also. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

Plenty of options out there if United are on the look out for new manager at the end of this season than a manager who based on league results in 2019 has done worse than Ole and Poch was managing a better squad of players at Spurs.

Some are making out that Spurs was some mid-table outfit that Poch turned into contenders. In reality Spurs finished in the top 5 in 4 of the 5 season before he arrived (4th,5th,4th,5th,6th) and a top four finishes was easier to do for Spurs in recent seasons as both Arsenal and Man United stopped being regular top 4 sides.

A lot also reckon he's done well having to work along side Daniel Levy maybe so but working along side a clueless Ed Woodward is much tougher and the pressure to succeed is at different level in the United hot seat.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2019, 02:14:49 PM

He's not exactly been allowed to bring in top players so I wouldn't judge him on those players bought. Spurs wages bill was miles off the rest of the top 6 too. He wanted Periera in 2017 but Levy wouldn't pay his transfer clause and Spurs ended up with Aurier whilst Pereira went on to be the best right back in the league last year with Leicester.

He's worked wonders with some of those players who's careers were going nowhere before he turned up.

Whoa there!! Must have missed that. In the premier league I watched, TAA was and is the best right back!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 20, 2019, 03:24:22 PM
Plenty of options out there if United are on the look out for new manager at the end of this season than a manager who based on league results in 2019 has done worse than Ole and Poch was managing a better squad of players at Spurs.

Some are making out that Spurs was some mid-table outfit that Poch turned into contenders. In reality Spurs finished in the top 5 in 4 of the 5 season before he arrived (4th,5th,4th,5th,6th) and a top four finishes was easier to do for Spurs in recent seasons as both Arsenal and Man United stopped being regular top 4 sides.

A lot also reckon he's done well having to work along side Daniel Levy maybe so but working along side a clueless Ed Woodward is much tougher and the pressure to succeed is at different level in the United hot seat.

Thats been very disingenuous, Spurs had a very good side under Redknapp but had 2 of the worlds best players in Modric & Bale but both were gone and the money spent badly before Poch took over. He turned several players who looked average into really top players and wasn't far off break even in the transfer market and their wage bill was less than half of what United's was. Spurs wage bill in 17/18 was £147m whilst Arsenals was £223m and United's was £295m.

Woodward might well be inept but at least he's given United managers a lot of money unlike Levy.

Minder

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2019, 05:20:15 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 20, 2019, 03:24:22 PM

Thats been very disingenuous, Spurs had a very good side under Redknapp but had 2 of the worlds best players in Modric & Bale but both were gone and the money spent badly before Poch took over. He turned several players who looked average into really top players and wasn't far off break even in the transfer market and their wage bill was less than half of what United's was. Spurs wage bill in 17/18 was £147m whilst Arsenals was £223m and United's was £295m.

Woodward might well be inept but at least he's given United managers a lot of money unlike Levy.

Yeah going by that fairly basic rationale from Cunny Funt Liverpool shouldn't have hired Klopp as his last year at Dortmund wasn't good.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Cunny Funt

Its not too disingenuous to say his achievements at Spurs are being made out to lot greater than they were. At moment plenty questioning why is was sacked after a poor league run even though that poor league run has been ongoing since the start of this year and the Champions league final appearance papered over the cracks.

Since when does the wage bill come into it? Woodward giving ridiculous wages to certain players that didn't deserve it just highlighted how clueless he was. Levy gets plenty of criticism but when it comes to football matters he's a lot more shrewd in his business than those in control at United and Arsenal.   

Quote from: Minder on November 20, 2019, 06:04:18 PM
Yeah going by that fairly basic rationale from Cunny Funt Liverpool shouldn’t have hired Klopp as his last year at Dortmund wasn’t good.
Just a bit different, Klopp had won league titles with Dortmund before things turned stale and losing some top players didn't help matters. Compared to the start of this decade Liverpool are now a well run club and it was ideal opportunity for Klopp to deliver the success he had at Dortmund onto Liverpool.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 20, 2019, 07:06:15 PM

Its not too disingenuous to say his achievements at Spurs are being made out to lot greater than they were. At moment plenty questioning why is was sacked after a poor league run even though that poor league run has been ongoing since the start of this year and the Champions league final appearance papered over the cracks.

Since when does the wage bill come into it? Woodward giving ridiculous wages to certain players that didn't deserve it just highlighted how clueless he was. Levy gets plenty of criticism but when it comes to football matters he's a lot more shrewd in his business than those in control at United and Arsenal.   

Quote from: Minder on November 20, 2019, 06:04:18 PM
Yeah going by that fairly basic rationale from Cunny Funt Liverpool shouldn't have hired Klopp as his last year at Dortmund wasn't good.
Just a bit different, Klopp had won league titles with Dortmund before things turned stale and losing some top players didn't help matters. Compared to the start of this decade Liverpool are now a well run club and it was ideal opportunity for Klopp to deliver the success he had at Dortmund onto Liverpool.

Spurs are about to lose Vertonghen, Alderweireld & Eriksen for free this summer and Spurs could never attract top players because they refuse to pay the wages required. Look at those figures below from 2017/18's wage bills. Spurs were miles off competing financially with the other so called top 6 clubs.

United £295m
Liverpool £263m
City £259.6m
Chelsea £244m
Arsenal £223m
Spurs £147m

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on November 20, 2019, 04:28:45 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2019, 02:14:49 PM

Whoa there!! Must have missed that. In the premier league I watched, TAA was and is the best right back!

Good at going forward I'll give you that, defending not his strong point
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea