American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: stew on September 11, 2017, 12:32:42 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 11, 2017, 12:27:42 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 11, 2017, 11:23:11 AM
Hey Syf, any thoughts on Elliott putting in a good shift for the cowboys last night Ruth all the controversy banging over him? I mean, they released a player who was misidentified in a robbery so aul Jerry is clearly a man of principle. When it comes to a star player, he'd absolutely agree the same...oh wait

An NFL team would start the devil himself if they thought he could be productive

Correct minder, the worst offenders of this historically are the Cowboys and the Raiders, they really set the bar low for bringing in knackers because they can be productive.

I actually think Ray Lewis was the worst case
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

The Bengals were even worse for a long time. They still have lads like Vonte Burfect with them. Is Pac Man Jones still there?

gallsman

Has Burfict ever had any off field troubles like domestic violence/rape/firearms etc.? Thought he was missing a dirty b**tard of a player.

magpie seanie

Gutted for my Bears last night whose gutsy display against the NFC champions ended up with nothing after they couldn't punch it in from the 5 yard line. That and a ridiculous TD where Ryan was practically down before unleashing a bomb were the difference. I think people underestimate how badly hit the Bears were with injuries over the last two seasons. Think they'll be competitive for the most part given any luck on this front. Luck that obviously Kevin White doesn't have. I'm hoping Glennon can be competent enough that they don't have to throw Trubisky in too early.

straightred

Quote from: stew on September 11, 2017, 01:07:17 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 11, 2017, 12:24:06 AM
The NFL is back. Jaguars had a big win over the Texans in Houston. Looks like the Packers are going to hold on against the Seahawks.

Hardly holding on now, they had the ball and ran out the clock.

That Seattle offense is shite.
True but the Packers got some serious help last night. Pick 6 nullified by a phantom block in the back. Ejection from a phantom punch. No PI given when the seahawk was literally pinned down and prevented from jumping in the end-zone. A questionable TD for GB (i'm not convinced that their line was set in time) - I'll give them that one though as the seahawks shouldn't have had 12 men on the pitch.
Home teams catch a lot of breaks in the NFL

Ball Hopper

Quote from: straightred on September 11, 2017, 03:12:39 PM
The NFL is back. Jaguars had a big win over the Texans in Houston. Looks like the Packers are going to hold on against the Seahawks.

True but the Packers got some serious help last night. Pick 6 nullified by a phantom block in the back. Ejection from a phantom punch. No PI given when the seahawk was literally pinned down and prevented from jumping in the end-zone. A questionable TD for GB (i'm not convinced that their line was set in time) - I'll give them that one though as the seahawks shouldn't have had 12 men on the pitch.

Last man standing strategy...pick a team with a good defensive record in Week 1, preferably at home.  Poorish opponent will help as well.  No brainer - Houston over Jaguars.  Result?  Jags 29 Houston 7. 

There's always next year, as the Liverpool lads say.

Oraisteach

Indians just won 20 in a row.  Wow!

magpie seanie

Quote from: straightred on September 11, 2017, 03:12:39 PM

The Packers get more than their fair share.

Seattle will need Tom Cable to play himself the way their o-line is going. You can't have an offense with a terrible o-line. If they can do something to make that semi passable they'll be a good team this year. I think their defence is better than the last few years.

Oraisteach

21 straight wins for the Indians, an American League record.  Amazing.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 11, 2017, 02:46:32 PM
Gutted for my Bears last night whose gutsy display against the NFC champions ended up with nothing after they couldn't punch it in from the 5 yard line. That and a ridiculous TD where Ryan was practically down before unleashing a bomb were the difference. I think people underestimate how badly hit the Bears were with injuries over the last two seasons. Think they'll be competitive for the most part given any luck on this front. Luck that obviously Kevin White doesn't have. I'm hoping Glennon can be competent enough that they don't have to throw Trubisky in too early.

Da Bears still suck! Seanie do you know what a FIB is??? Wisconites absolutely hates FIBS, especially on game day )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 13, 2017, 08:14:15 PM
21 straight wins for the Indians, an American League record.  Amazing.

Yeah but in a while they will wake up and understand that they are caveland and find a way not to win the world series, they are a half step up from Buffalo in the biggest losers category in American sports.

Oraisteach

Stew, that caveland comment is so out of date.  Cleveland teams have been doing very well, apart from the Browns, who suck. The Cavs have won a championship and are now perennial contenders.  The Indians have made it to the World Series and are the best team in the American League, with great pitching and hitting and a bona fide Cy Young contender.  How about a little credit when its due instead of reverting to limp stereotypes.  Buffalo?  They have neither an MLB nor an NBA team.  21 straight wins isn't just damn good, it's record-breaking. 

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 14, 2017, 05:49:41 PM
Stew, that caveland comment is so out of date.  Cleveland teams have been doing very well, apart from the Browns, who suck. The Cavs have won a championship and are now perennial contenders.  The Indians have made it to the World Series and are the best team in the American League, with great pitching and hitting and a bona fide Cy Young contender.  How about a little credit when its due instead of reverting to limp stereotypes.  Buffalo?  They have neither an MLB nor an NBA team.  21 straight wins isn't just damn good, it's record-breaking.

Contenders? Who the hell cares about contenders?

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 14, 2017, 05:49:41 PM

Orais, they have one title in 52 or 53 years, I think the last one they had prior to Le Bron winning them a title was back in 1964, that is ridiculous!

The Browns are a disgrace and have been since their inception and the Indians are very good but cant seem to get it done, it is a sports mad town like Green Bay except they do not have a clue how to win it all.

Oraisteach

Cmon, Stew, things have turned around in Cleveland.  The Indians have made it to the World Series, and the Cavs have won the title and played in the final last year.  The cry of "Next Year" is history.  In Cleveland, next year is now.