Foot Block Rule Question

Started by amallon, June 11, 2007, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

We had a penalty given against us on Friday night for a foot block.  The opposition player took a shot from well outside outside our 21.  One of our corner backs standing in the square stuck out his leg and stopped the ball.  The ref gave a penalty.  The player who stuck the leg out was 6/7 meters from the man who took the shot.  Was this a penatly?  I always thought a foot block was only given when players where in close proximity. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

AZOffaly

That is not a penalty. Sure if that were the case a goalie would never be able to save the ball with his feet at all.

stpauls

AM,

i would have assumed it was only given if he was in close proximity as it could cause a nasty injury if the player follows through and hits his leg/shin/foot on the offending players studs, but not from that distance!! i personally don't know the ruling of a foot block, and as a goalkeeper i would like to know, as i may get a yellow card for making a save some night in a game, which could eventually actually lose us the game, rather than win it for us!!

darbyo

No way is that a penalty, but like a few other rules it's not clearly defined and easily implemented.

Hardy

RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS

5.12 To block or attempt to block with the boot
when an opponent is kicking the ball from the
hand(s).

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Caution the offender; order off for
second cautionable foul.
(ii) Free kick from where the foul occurred
except as provided under Exceptions of
Rule 2.2.

It's a bit vague – the key word is when . If the blocker is some metres away, that can hardly be a block when the ball is being kicked, being after it's kicked. I also never realised it didn't apply to kicks off the ground – just kicks from the hand. I don't think a lot of referees know that either.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2007, 06:31:38 PM
RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS

hand(s).

second cautionable foul.
Rule 2.2.

It's a bit vague – the key word is when . If the blocker is some metres away, that can hardly be a block when the ball is being kicked, being after it's kicked. I also never realised it didn't apply to kicks off the ground – just kicks from the hand. I don't think a lot of referees know that either.
Like most gaa rules its vague
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Homer

RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS

hand(s).

second cautionable foul.
Rule 2.2.

Is there not another another loop-hole here as the rule only specifies blocking with the 'boot'. I always believed the foot-block rule governs all leg-blocks too  ??? (or does this fall under attempting to block with the boot?)

Also if this is the case am I right in thinking that whether or not the blocking foot is on the ground, has some bearing i.e. if a goal keeper stretches out his leg but has his 'blocking' foot firmly on the turf it is not a free.?

14.jackmurtagh

I had a game a while ago and I was called twice for a foot block and they resulted in two penalties. I had run across our box and I had my left foot on the ground when the player kicked the ball it hit my foot which was on the ground and I was called for a foot block and in the end we lost by a point

AZOffaly

That sounds like you were hard done by. If your foot is on the ground, and the ball hits it, it's not a foot block. A foot block foul is designed to remove the dangerous practice of lifting your foot and intentionally trying to block the ball with your foot AS THE PLAYER IS STRIKING. Dangerous because of broken legs etc. A ball hitting you on the leg is not the same thing. One question though, how close were you to the kicker? If you were right on top of him, the ref might deem it as a foot block if he thought it was dangerous.

David McKeown

Quote from: Gnevin on June 11, 2007, 06:41:13 PM
RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS

hand(s).

second cautionable foul.
Rule 2.2.

Like most gaa rules its vague

That rule has been changed in the last few years I can't find the old rule but when I had cause to look at the rule book in some depth in 06/07 the rule definitely stated To block or attempt to block a ball kicked from the hand.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

bridgegael

a ref said in a game recently, a foot block is a foul whenever it is deemed to be dangerous to the kicker. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

manfromdelmonte

This is the problem that occurs when referees are given a refereeing course in a meeting room with a projector and no practical on-field session to explain some practical aspects of the rules

Eire90

this just happened in mayo v monaghan game is the goalkeeper exempt

thewobbler

Quote from: Eire90 on June 05, 2022, 10:47:16 PM
this just happened in mayo v monaghan game is the goalkeeper exempt

Our club had a penalty given against us this season for a foot block by our keeper. I was miffed. But to be fair the recent went weeks have brought some clarity to it. My own take now is along the lines that of it has to be a block. And when it comes to a man blocking with his hands we all know what a block is.... you're in close enough to deliberately change the path of the ball.

Eire90

so a goalkeeper cant use his feet so a goalkeeper cant use half of his limbs  to save ball