PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2018, 11:51:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2018, 09:50:40 AM
Surely if soccer is your game or rugby or GAA, would you not want to remember having a charity game at the place were he was best remembered by? And In doing so finding the best, biggest venue?

For Liam the Aviva would have brought the biggest revenue plus his games for Ireland serving as a great reminder of his talent.. Even Celtic Park. Finishing his career back in Cork in Turners Cross would also be a better place

Playing in PUC has no relevance at all other than to generate money.. Aviva would bring a lot more money for his family I'd have thought.

Cork is the only county this would happen in.
Dublin is another country to them.
+1
You got to understand that Cork people are not joking when on about peoples republic of Cork.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

brokencrossbar1

While I've great sympathy with the family here I find that the GAA has been put in an invidious position. This is an FAI thing not a GAA thing. Play the game at Aviva. If the soccer community in Ireland want to support this worthwhile event then they will travel to Dublin. The FAI are loving this as it's bad news for the gaa and making them out to be terrible. If they had any balls they would have stepped in and said they would do it and provide a chartered train or planes to Dublin from
Cork to facilitate it but they have nothing in them so what would you expect.

Milltown Row2

I'm viewing this like someone going into Ashers and asking for a gay cake
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
If Ashers had taken public money for capital works and signed a document explicitly saying they had to bake gay cakes if asked you may have a point.

But they didn't and Cork co board did sign a form allowing events like this. A fact the mayor of cork knew when he approached them.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 22, 2018, 01:29:58 PM
While I've great sympathy with the family here I find that the GAA has been put in an invidious position. This is an FAI thing not a GAA thing. Play the game at Aviva. If the soccer community in Ireland want to support this worthwhile event then they will travel to Dublin. The FAI are loving this as it's bad news for the gaa and making them out to be terrible. If they had any balls they would have stepped in and said they would do it and provide a chartered train or planes to Dublin from
Its an impressive bit of spin to turn the FAI into the villians if this saga. There is loyalty and then there is stupidity.

Syferus

Not your finest hour it has to be said.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 22, 2018, 02:10:47 PM
If Ashers had taken public money for capital works and signed a document explicitly saying they had to bake gay cakes if asked you may have a point.

But they didn't and Cork co board did sign a form allowing events like this. A fact the mayor of cork knew when he approached them.

So the mayor asked for PUC? Not the family?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

smelmoth

That's an oversimplification of the issue.

It's a FAI thing that there is such limited capacity in Cork. Just as it was a GAA thing that there was such limited capacity in Belfast.

It's a GAA thing that a very reasonable request cannot be immediately engaged with positively

If the position is invidious it so of the GAA's own making

sid waddell

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 22, 2018, 08:23:49 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/22/liam-miller-irish-sport-body-allows-charity-game-for-late-man-utd-star-report

If this is true it shows the hypocrisy of the GAA authorities who will allow this game to proceed but refused a similar charity game in Healy Park after 31 people were murdered and hundreds maimed for life by the IRA bombing in Omagh twenty years ago next month.

As sad as it is for Liam Miller's family to lose him due to cancer, I and I would suspect many outraged by the GAA refusal, had never heard of Liam Millar. I knew many of those murdered and maimed in Omagh.
So what you're saying is that because the GAA were wrong 20 years ago, they should be wrong again here, just for the sake of consistency?

I'm not quite sure what you never having heard of Liam Miller has to do with anything, except to suggest that you may have been living under a rock for the past 15 years.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2018, 02:17:38 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 22, 2018, 02:10:47 PM

So the mayor asked for PUC? Not the family?
That is my understanding. The family arent involved in the logistics of the game. Yhete is a committee and Roy Keane and the mayor are on it.

Jinxy

???
What does... never mind.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheClubman

100% agree. This is down to the failures of the FAI. Some of them will never forgive the GAA for letting them into Croke Park when they were homeless.

Hound

I'm all for letting them play a charity match in PuC, but would you get a big crowd for watching oul lads jog/walk around a pitch, even if it is a very good cause?

ManU team confirmed as made up of Denis Irwin, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Jaap Stam, Rio Ferdinand, Louis Saha and Quentin Fortune, plus some fillers in.

Jinxy

My gut feeling is the game will go ahead in PUC and will draw a crowd of around 20-25,000.
The last couple of days has demonstrated for me that there are a significant number of ordinary, decent, frustrated and annoyed people who would like this game to go ahead in PUC for all the right reasons, but there are also a lot of very bitter soccer fans who see this as an opportunity to stick the knife into the GAA.
The latter cohort have been very vocal on social media, however, I doubt they have any intention of attending the game.
Most of them seem to be Shamrock Rovers fans anyway.
When it was incorrectly reported that PUC was going to be opened for the game, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't really about Liam Miller for them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.