Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on July 23, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 23, 2018, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: lenny on July 23, 2018, 10:01:23 AM
Quote from: APM on July 23, 2018, 09:24:08 AM
Tyrone can do what they like and I can see why the pitch would have been narrowed for the Dublin game.  But suggesting that Sky asked for it!  That sounded suspect when it was first said and it figures that Sky have denied it, because there are enough people pissed off with Sky as it is, without them asking grounds to change the dimensions of the pitch.

I wouldn't share any of the optimism tyrone people seem to have picked up from this game. By narrowing the pitch significantly harte has more or less told his team that they can't compete with dublin on a big pitch like croke park. It was absolutely essential in the circumstances for tyrone to get a result. For dublin to win relatively comfortably is devastating for tyrone and I think they'll now really struggle v donegal.

I assume you turned off with 10 mins to go? As Thomas O'Se said last night. Teams just can't go hammer and tongs with Dublin for 70 mins, the key is to stay with them for 55 to 60 mins and go flat out to be in front when the whistle blows. Bar a few things that didn't go our way we may well have got something out of the game. Of course Tyrone can't compete with Dublin's resources, nobody can - there's no embarrassment in admitting that,  of course there's going to be times when Dublin control the game but it doesn't mean that you can't beat them. The defeatest attitude of lads from county's like yours Lenny speaks volumes.

It's you who used the words "defeatist attitude ". Would harte have narrowed the pitch if tyrone had the players from their golden generation? There's not a hope in hell he would've. In other words he did it because he didn't want a repeat of last years demolition. It doesn't inspire confidence though if the teams play again in croke park.

EVERY team is inferior to Dublin at the minute, they have won five of the last seven All Ireland's. I don't think it's an insult to the Tyrone players to suggest tactics to overcome this and the raft of other advantages a Dublin team has over all its rivals. The pitch narrowing is a red herring and something which has been massively overplayed. Whilst it's great for newspapers talk, it's not that big an issue for counties who can adapt to things happening at this level of the championship. I can't imagine Tyrone would be too bothered if Ballybofey was slightly bigger or smaller in a few weeks. Are you seriously in your mind imagining genuine heartfelt disappointment of the Tyrone squad as they learned of the news that their manager didn't believe in them because they were narrowing the pitch by a few feet. Do you seriously think that influenced Saturdays game or will influence a future game if the two were to meet again?
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2018, 09:47:27 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 23, 2018, 09:23:16 AM
Very enjoyable reading this thread, it makes the victory so so much sweeter. Some of the comments are hiliarous and very funny how some people are so roiled up the greatest team to have played the game The Dubs.

Fair play to the real Tyrone fans in Omagh, good craic with them all day and night. A warm welcome and good people, pleasant and polite, not like the so called Gaels on this site, and also there was not a fight on a train in sight.

Whatever about the side lines being reduced, no nets behind the goals? Very dangerous during the warm ups with over 30 balls flying around at one end. A strong response from the GAA is needed here for safety reasons.

Dublin defence was the winning of the game, the forwards always get the credit but the defence was excellent, Cooper been consistently one of the best defenders in the country, you Murchan who looks like he's getting younger had a great game.

Ref had a great game and let a lot go. Let it flow.

Omagh has never had any nets behind the goals. I dont think there is any in clones either?

The only reason they have them in croke park is to stop the dubs on the hill nicking the footballs  ;)

You joke but this happened infront of me in the terrace near the middle. Young lad jumped the barrier when Dublin were doing warm up drills and nicked a ball, encouraged by his da.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 23, 2018, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 23, 2018, 09:47:27 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 23, 2018, 09:23:16 AM
Very enjoyable reading this thread, it makes the victory so so much sweeter. Some of the comments are hiliarous and very funny how some people are so roiled up the greatest team to have played the game The Dubs.

Fair play to the real Tyrone fans in Omagh, good craic with them all day and night. A warm welcome and good people, pleasant and polite, not like the so called Gaels on this site, and also there was not a fight on a train in sight.

Whatever about the side lines being reduced, no nets behind the goals? Very dangerous during the warm ups with over 30 balls flying around at one end. A strong response from the GAA is needed here for safety reasons.

Dublin defence was the winning of the game, the forwards always get the credit but the defence was excellent, Cooper been consistently one of the best defenders in the country, you Murchan who looks like he's getting younger had a great game.

Ref had a great game and let a lot go. Let it flow.

Omagh has never had any nets behind the goals. I dont think there is any in clones either?

The only reason they have them in croke park is to stop the dubs on the hill nicking the footballs  ;)

You joke but this happened infront of me in the terrace near the middle. Young lad jumped the barrier when Dublin were doing warm up drills and nicked a ball, encouraged by his da.

Plenty have went missing in Omagh over the years - think thats why Dublin actually had to warm up at that end this time, quite a few went missing the last time.

Fuzzman

Despite a total disaster from the tickets.ie crowd messing up my pre match plans I suppose I enjoyed the game and especially the way the fans got behind the team and made it a good atmosphere. I dont like the way though we always need the team to do something before we get our voices. Sometimes we need to be the ones to lift the team.

Anyway, I thought the ref was terrible and made some huge errors in judgement where he would give a foul for something and then 10 mins later the exact same thing he wouldn't which leaves players confused and frustrated
The lack of cards for both teams looked like he wanted to let the game flow and not spoil it with cards.

I am pleased the way we came back into it in the end but as I said before the game I'd love to see a few big high balls landed in to Richie or whoever (Loughran) to test Cluxton and Co. We've saw in loads of games this year and last but especially yesterday the Kerry game how a high ball in can often cause panic and lead to a goal yet we never really tried it. Maybe once. I bet Donegal use it when Murphy is in there.

I felt frustrated that we wait so long before really going for it. So often we seem to be holding back almost scared to run at them in case they counterattack us like last years game.
I was shocked at Burns and McAliskey going off and yet again our free taking was letting us down. I thought RoN might not have the pace for this game but that free was a bad miss for a man on his home patch.

We can dream of beating the men from the Hill and maybe a "EASY" semi v Monaghan or Galway ( I jest lads, chill) but should we beat Donegal it seems a reasonably easy run we've had this year compared to some. Poor Monaghan have it very tough. I feared those misses they had in the first half yesterday could prove crucial and so now they have to go and beat the 2 in row Connacht champions in their own back yard. I think Kerry will sneak in second so it could be a semis pairing of
Kerry v Dublin
Galway v Donegal

Did anyone see Scooby Doo her on Sat?

Fuzzman

Dubs rise to the challenge on their odyssey to Omagh
Tyrone's counterattack lacks impact as champions' well-oiled machine pays dividends by Seán Moran Irish Times

There's a plausible rule of thumb with Jim Gavin that the more strongly he feels about something, the blander the reaction – if there is one at all, and not one of his deflections.

With the football world looking on in the hope that having to travel 110 miles north to take on one of the likelier contenders for the All-Ireland might force the champions to reveal some frailty, Dublin's manager was asked whether the challenge of having to win away in Omagh had been a special motivation.

In response he channelled Ron Manager.

"Just excitement – a great opportunity, really, to come up to Omagh on a summer's evening, knowing that Healy Stadium was going to be full, and once again we got a great welcome from the Tyrone officials. We were passing Dublin supporters on the way up – in the car, enjoying themselves – and it's great for the local economies as well. It was just a great experience and one that the guys will treasure when they look back on the season."

The nuts and bolts of a match that his team won – clearly but not without anxiety – were succinctly summed up.

"Two games down in the All-Ireland round-robin series and we've four points on the board and that's satisfying.

"We drove hard at Tyrone, got some great scores and they put in some great defending. Defensively we looked strong as well. We knew going into the game that they had put up some big, big scores over the last five games and it's a credit to the system that Mickey has – they're a very potent attacking unit and to limit them to what we did today is a reflection of some really hard work by the collective on the pitch."

Tyrone's counter-attacking template didn't have the same impact against Dublin's well-oiled machine, and manager Mickey Harte was torn between recognition of his team's battling qualities and disappointment at falling short.

"I think it's great credit to our boys that they dug in, they fought back and they got to within a point, and I suppose even a free at the end there – if we had scored that free – would have made it even a more tight battle to the end.

Tyrone's manager Mickey Harte and Dublin manager Jim Gavin after the game. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho
Tyrone's manager Mickey Harte and Dublin manager Jim Gavin after the game. Photograph: James Crombie/Inpho
"Obviously we're not happy with the outcome or the result, and we're not looking about moral victories, 'oh you pushed them close or you ran them close'. It wasn't about that. We intended to win this game. We felt we were capable of winning the game, and we didn't win it.

"The only saving grace is it doesn't knock us out of the championship altogether. We have another chance and it's not often you would lose a game at this time of the year, an All-Ireland quarter-final, and still have another chance.

"If we hadn't conceded that goal, it would have been interesting to see how the game would have panned out, but sure that's all conjecture now.

"The bottom line is, on the day they were, they are, the great champions, and they beat us, and they're away home safely in the semi-final at this stage, so good luck to them.

Dire Ear

Did they get a guard of honour onto the pitch, or deos that happen anymore?

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2018, 12:42:08 PM
Despite a total disaster from the tickets.ie crowd messing up my pre match plans I suppose I enjoyed the game and especially the way the fans got behind the team and made it a good atmosphere. I dont like the way though we always need the team to do something before we get our voices. Sometimes we need to be the ones to lift the team.

Anyway, I thought the ref was terrible and made some huge errors in judgement where he would give a foul for something and then 10 mins later the exact same thing he wouldn't which leaves players confused and frustrated
The lack of cards for both teams looked like he wanted to let the game flow and not spoil it with cards.

I am pleased the way we came back into it in the end but as I said before the game I'd love to see a few big high balls landed in to Richie or whoever (Loughran) to test Cluxton and Co. We've saw in loads of games this year and last but especially yesterday the Kerry game how a high ball in can often cause panic and lead to a goal yet we never really tried it. Maybe once. I bet Donegal use it when Murphy is in there.

I felt frustrated that we wait so long before really going for it. So often we seem to be holding back almost scared to run at them in case they counterattack us like last years game.
I was shocked at Burns and McAliskey going off and yet again our free taking was letting us down. I thought RoN might not have the pace for this game but that free was a bad miss for a man on his home patch.

We can dream of beating the men from the Hill and maybe a "EASY" semi v Monaghan or Galway ( I jest lads, chill) but should we beat Donegal it seems a reasonably easy run we've had this year compared to some. Poor Monaghan have it very tough. I feared those misses they had in the first half yesterday could prove crucial and so now they have to go and beat the 2 in row Connacht champions in their own back yard. I think Kerry will sneak in second so it could be a semis pairing of
Kerry v Dublin
Galway v Donegal

Did anyone see Scooby Doo her on Sat?

I totally agree with your second paragraph. Can't comment on this game as I didn't see it but it is something I've notIced a lot over the last couple years. The inconsistencies from the refs are awful. It must be very confusing for eh okayers as not only do rules be applied differently from game to game they are applied differently within games too

Owen Brannigan

Basically Coldrick was clueless for both teams, he was often 20/30 yards or more away from the important incidents and had no idea about what was really happening. 

It wa one of the poorest displays by someone that CP thinks is an elite referee.  He was rarely able to see the cute play that the Dubs were able to get away with and many of his decisions were just guesses. 

It was all downhill from his failure to black card McCann as both sides and particularly the Dubs knew he wasn't going to impose himself on the game and accept no messing. Unfortunately, he will be back for more games this summer.

He wasn't biased towards Dublin, he just wasn't able for the task presented to him and was under severe pressure from the throw in, pressure that just built as the game went on.  It was a game that was always going to need careful management.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 23, 2018, 04:42:11 PM
Did they get a guard of honour onto the pitch, or deos that happen anymore?

They were given one for the League game earlier in the year in Omagh, and once in a year is enough.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 23, 2018, 11:12:14 PM
Basically Coldrick was clueless for both teams, he was often 20/30 yards or more away from the important incidents and had no idea about what was really happening. 

It wa one of the poorest displays by someone that CP thinks is an elite referee.  He was rarely able to see the cute play that the Dubs were able to get away with and many of his decisions were just guesses. 

It was all downhill from his failure to black card McCann as both sides and particularly the Dubs knew he wasn't going to impose himself on the game and accept no messing. Unfortunately, he will be back for more games this summer.

He wasn't biased towards Dublin, he just wasn't able for the task presented to him and was under severe pressure from the throw in, pressure that just built as the game went on.  It was a game that was always going to need careful management.

So he want biased toward Dublin he was just shit and as things transpired the majority of his rubbish decisions favoured Dublin.
;) ;)

tyssam5

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 21, 2018, 09:46:59 PM
Coldrick is beyond facrical at this point. Some of the decisions of lack of were a disgrace.

You could maybe understand 1 or 2 but there had to at least a dozen and it was the timing of some of them were obviously there to kill Tyrone momentum.
In rugby Cian O'Sullivan would be facing a ban for his tackle on McGerary but what does he give.... a throw up ... while Tyrone were in the ascendansy. 
Richie Donnelly gets his fingers taken of him while going down for a pick up and then gathers a bouncing ball only to be blown up for an off the ground right in front of the Tyrone posts...

This is all only the half of it of course but these tow in

How is allowed to referee intercounty games is beyond me, besides his actual abyssmal refereeing he is constantly behind the play and struggling for fitness

Should be brought out of the town in a car boot

Yeah just got around to watching it again there, those were key. He wasn't calling much, but the soft ones that were going went Dublin's way earlier, then when it got intense he swallowed the whistle.
Still Mickey could have moved the bench a wee bit earlier and misses and some decision making cost us more than Coldrick.

TheGreatest

A common theme in losing circles in the GAA, blame the ref. Fans and managers a like.

Dire Ear

I don't blame our defeat on the ref.
As a Tyrone fan, I don't expect anything better from the refs, so I'll rairly bothered or surprised by their performances to be honest

BennyCake

Ever watched a dull, lifeless game live on TV, then see highlights and it looks like a great spectacle? (even though you know it wasn't)

Well, never seen Tyr Dub live, but it was the only match highlights I was ever bored watching. What it was like to watch live, I dread to imagine.

Dire Ear