Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: Taylor on August 04, 2017, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: Fat Angry Motorist on August 04, 2017, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 04, 2017, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 04, 2017, 01:44:13 PM
I pay tax, lots of it, my taxes pay for the roads

Where do you stand on tractors? Should they be allowed on the road? By your rationale they pay motor tax so they should but I'd cycle quicker than a tractor

On the whole tractor drivers:

1. respect the rules of the road &
2. let cars past where possible

Same cant be said for cyclists on either count

I honestly think cyclists breaking the rules of the road comes from them being, and maybe observing, drivers in the first place.

Hopping onto kerbs when there is a red light wouldnt be a done thing for drivers?

Moving across the road when someone attempts to overtake you wouldnt be a done thing either with drivers?

Are you saying that cyclists do that? I've never seen a cyclist do either of those things and I would say you hardly have either given the paucity of traffic lights in Tyrone lol.

For the latter anybody that would do that obviously has a death wish if they did that deliberately.

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Fat Angry Motorist on August 04, 2017, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 04, 2017, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 04, 2017, 01:44:13 PM
I pay tax, lots of it, my taxes pay for the roads

Where do you stand on tractors? Should they be allowed on the road? By your rationale they pay motor tax so they should but I'd cycle quicker than a tractor

On the whole tractor drivers:

1. respect the rules of the road &
2. let cars past where possible

Same cant be said for cyclists on either count

I honestly think cyclists breaking the rules of the road comes from them being, and maybe observing, drivers in the first place.

Hopping onto kerbs when there is a red light wouldnt be a done thing for drivers?

Moving across the road when someone attempts to overtake you wouldnt be a done thing either with drivers?

Does a cyclist riding on the footpath (which is illegal) really affect motorists that much?  As pointed out above you should be giving a cyclist the same room as you would a car to overtake so why would a cyclist veer across the white line just to annoy you?

I think you'll be a much happier bunny if you follow the rules and guidelines of the highway code yourself?

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162 to 167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2017, 02:38:14 PM
This thread has to be the biggest wind up!!!

Some are serious, some are on the wind up!  There's a couple of posters here who must spend their days driving around the country looking for cyclists to get offended by!

Milltown Row2

Most groups are out on the roads Sat or Sunday at around 7.30 am and finished up before 11 or 12pm during the week you wont get that much either, mornings provided they are dry ya might get the odd nut goingt to work on his bike and in Belfast since the Belfst bike hire there are more but as yet Ive not seen anything thats annoying... during the winter there are hardly anyone out due to the frost/rain/and the dark nights and mornings

So they are either looking for these cyclists all the time, has happened to them once or twice and they have multiplied it by a hundred or they are just grump fat farts who will gripe at anything... I'm going for all of the above
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2017, 02:51:51 PM
Most groups are out on the roads Sat or Sunday at around 7.30 am and finished up before 11 or 12pm during the week you wont get that much either, mornings provided they are dry ya might get the odd nut goingt to work on his bike and in Belfast since the Belfst bike hire there are more but as yet Ive not seen anything thats annoying... during the winter there are hardly anyone out due to the frost/rain/and the dark nights and mornings

So they are either looking for these cyclists all the time, has happened to them once or twice and they have multiplied it by a hundred or they are just grump fat farts who will gripe at anything... I'm going for all of the above

My ranking:

grumpy fat farts who will gripe at anything - 1
has happened to them once or twice and they have multiplied it by a hundred - 2
they are either looking for these cyclists all the time - 3

Eamonnca1

All-Ireland champion whingers, the whole bloody lot of them.

Eamonnca1

I love it when drivers give out about cyclists on the footpath. They seem to spend one half of their lives roaring at riders to get off the road, and the other half whinging about it when they do.

Gabriel_Hurl

probably more appropriate in the running thread

bennydorano

If you read the nonsense on this thread it's very appropriate here in an inappropriate way.

Milltown Row2

I'm a runner and if you are trying to get a pb and some bird is in your path then I'd push her too!! Pedestrians are nasty and ignorant to runners, fat lazy feckers who just walk, must be a drain on the NHS also! Cycle paths runner paths and walkers should just get the Bus  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

mrdeeds

Watch it back carefully and it looks like she tries to trip him.

Dire Ear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321
A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44 year-old woman in east London last year has been cleared of her manslaughter.

punt kick

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 23, 2017, 04:11:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321
A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44 year-old woman in east London last year has been cleared of her manslaughter.

He should sue her family for her being in his way.