Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2017, 05:57:32 PM
Regardless of the debate - anyone who wants to classify the cyclists on the basis of what they're wearing is showing themselves up to be the traditional bog hopping, begrudging curmudgeon fool that's been berating anyone who stepped outside of the norm for years. Probably complained back in the day about the lads that wore white boots, the lads that had a fancy haircut, the lads who were too tan, the lads who had tattoos or ear rings, the lads who own a nice car or the first guy to wear under armour on a cold league day. Those lads are all winning medals with clubs and counties and it doesn't matter a shite what they wore or how they did it.

Got no interest in cycling - but some of you should cop yourself on with the lycra nonsense around here. Bunchawankers

Hear bloody hear. They're like the cider-swilling hoodie-wearing scumbags standing at street corners shouting abuse at anyone that runs or cycles past.

Eamonnca1

Hardy

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2017, 05:57:32 PM
Regardless of the debate - anyone who wants to classify the cyclists on the basis of what they're wearing is showing themselves up to be the traditional bog hopping, begrudging curmudgeon fool that's been berating anyone who stepped outside of the norm for years. Probably complained back in the day about the lads that wore white boots, the lads that had a fancy haircut, the lads who were too tan, the lads who had tattoos or ear rings, the lads who own a nice car or the first guy to wear under armour on a cold league day. Those lads are all winning medals with clubs and counties and it doesn't matter a shite what they wore or how they did it.

Got no interest in cycling - but some of you should cop yourself on with the lycra nonsense around here. Bunchawankers

Who disparaged the lycra or said there was anything wrong with it? People are just using it as a convenient (OK, even facile) common trait to categorise them.

But now that you mention it, what is it with the lycra? Is it the standard material for gear in any other sport? Surely, being synthetic, it's awful sweaty?

dclane

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 06:18:36 PM
Quote from: dclane on August 01, 2017, 06:11:41 PM
Have you anger issues Eamonn?

I have a low tolerance threshold for stupidity.
I think you're a little unhinged myself.

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 06:16:36 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 12:58:59 PM
2 abreast vs. single file - the guideline is very clear, as pointed out by Tony Baloney. But the lycra troop overwhelmingly insist on riding 2 abreast in all circumstances, including on very narrow roads and on bends. It seems to have become a dogma for them and from their rhetoric it's clear that it's a militant claiming of equality with motorised traffic.

That's just very stupid, as wobbler pointed out, not to mention the basic good manners argument. You don't see pedestrians walking two-or-more abreast on roads where there is no footpath, militantly claiming their right to hold up traffic whose normal pace is much higher than theirs. There's a practical reason beyond good manners for that. Pedestrians understand a simple logic that seems to evade cyclists as an organised group.

Another basic example of good manners that I've never seen cyclists use - when they're out in large groups, why do they insist on forming a continuous line, be it single file or two-or-more abreast? A basic courtesy would be to travel in pairs with gaps of 50 metres or so. But I suppose that wouldn't look like a peloton.

Oh and to the argument that there are arseholes behind the wheels of many cars - who has ever denied that? This thread, though, is about arsehole cyclists.
I'm going to explain this nice and slowly because it's clear that you're a simpleton. Riding in a single group, two abreast, makes it quicker, safer, and easier to overtake. Riding in a single line makes the group twice as long and hence almost impossible to get past on winding roads with short overtaking opportunities. Breaking the group up into small sections would make it even harder for you to get past because you'd have to repeat the process several times. You're welcome.

And shut up about runners. They can't cruise at 20MPH or get up to 40MPH, plus they have to go against traffic where there's no footpath. Stop opening your mouth and revealing to the world how stupid you are.

You really are, without any apparent effort as it seems to come naturally to you, confirming the stereotype of cyclist as arrogant w**ker.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 06:18:49 PM
Who disparaged the lycra or said there was anything wrong with it? People are just using it as a convenient (OK, even facile) common trait to categorise them.
The cheap thoughtless OP refers to "lycra-clad cyclist" as "pests."

But now that you mention it, what is it with the lycra? Is it the standard material for gear in any other sport?
Yes.

QuoteSurely, being synthetic, it's awful sweaty?
No. It "wicks" sweat away from the skin. Because of the stretchy properties it doesn't flap around in the wind and slow you down like a parachute. It's comfortable and practical.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 06:21:18 PM
You really are, without any apparent effort as it seems to come naturally to you, confirming the stereotype of cyclist as arrogant w**ker.

Do I look like someone who cares what anyone thinks?

I've explained numerous times that riding two abreast makes it easier to get past rather than harder, but you people are determined to prevent that information from getting into your thick skulls. There's nothing more I can do for you. You deserve nothing more than scorn and ridicule.

Eamonnca1

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 06:25:13 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2017, 06:21:18 PM

Do I look like someone who cares what anyone thinks?

I've explained numerous times that riding two abreast makes it easier to get past rather than harder, but you people are determined to prevent that information from getting into your thick skulls. There's nothing more I can do for you. You deserve nothing more than scorn and ridicule.

[Post removed on mature reflection - no point in fuelling smebody's anger.]

Eamonnca1

Dire Ear

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 06:49:07 PM
Was it something I said?
You're very abusive, arrogant, full of self-importance..and possibly alcohol!! :D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 01, 2017, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 06:49:07 PM
Was it something I said?
You're very abusive, arrogant, full of self-importance..and possibly alcohol!! :D

That's uncalled for. I haven't had a drop!

thewobbler

did I just read it right that because someone paved a footpath 100 years ago for a bicycle route, that every road, even those that are reinforced specifically for HGV carriage, will always be fair game?

I'd suggest the Orange Order's right to match the Queen's Highway holds a greater claim.

----

As for single file. Eamon, you don't live in Ireland so let me remind you that the majority of country roads over here were built so that two lorries can pass safely on either side, with not a whole lot of room beyond that.

Therefore in the majority of these cases, a car can pass a pedestrian or a single file cyclist on their side of the road, with a little caution, without having to adjust speed significantly. The "caution" comes from blind bends and looking out for high sided vehicles coming the opposite direction. Do that and (in a car) you'll be able to give a cyclist / pedestrian a clear metre of breathing room.

When cyclists ride these roads two abreast, put simply it means that every passing manoeuvre requires greater judgement and better execution. Which inevitably leads to tailbacks, as each and every motor vehicle has to apply the same caution.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

Now it's Saturday afternoon and you're driving through County Down, up through the Mournes, which is basically one long type of the road described above. It's also full of hills that few cyclists can take on at over 10mph. And farmers in tractors trying to make a living. And HGV drivers trying to make a living.

I don't have to be in a hurry to find that frustrating. Not do the other 100 cars that have rocked up before and after me, all crawling through roads at 12% the speed limit and about 25% of the safe speed for the roads.

But hi, someone build a cycle path back in 1870 that later became a road. Rock on lads. You deserve it.