Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

1. K. O'Malley,

2. A. Higgins                                                                   3. L. O'Malley                                 4. K. Higgins

5. E. Devenney                                                               6. B.J Padden                                7. P.Gardiner

8. D. Brady                   9. P. Harte                                                     

15. K. O'Neil

10. A. Moran                                                                  11. T. Mortimer/G. Brady                    12. A. Dillon

14. C. Mortimer                                                                                        13. A. Campbell

I can see Mayo going for the two man full forward line with O'Neill doing the floating type role to spary the ball around operating between the midfleld and the half forward line

MaroonAndWhite

Id play Nicky at 15 if only to stir things up for the Mayo full back line. They are used to the full forwards being Meehan, Padraig and Armstrong and O'Malley, Higgins & co know how to play them. I think throwing Matt Clancy in at 14 and let him roam leaving Nicky and Mike Meehan inside. It would give the Mayo full back line something different to think about at least

Maradona

all I can say is tkank god JOM is picking the team and not some of you on this board. Westmayo - have you dropped our best player in the league, Heaney. Another has young Hanley on - the lad is only 19 or so and was evedently out of his depth v Laois in U21, never mind senior.

Clarke, O'Malley, Kilcullen, Higgins, Deveney, Padden, Gardiner, Brady, Heaney, Harte, Moran, G Brady / O'Neill, C Mortimer, T Mortimer, A Dillion.

Think they we have to presist with Kilcullen for the moment. Think he can has the basics, just has to get more physical and assertive. Think Heaney is reveleing in the MF position and would be silly to change him back to a more restrictive CHB position. Nallen is a sub option if Padden not performing. Also need a lot more weight up front therefore Harte and T Mortimer should improve in this area. Maybe Harte would be worth a try at Full Forward? I would have tried it because our build up is way too slow trying to work it up to a small FF line. We seriously need some sort of target man. A O'Malley is not it, so I would give Harte a try. Trevor Mortimer is the other option. Dont like him in the HF line as he can be a bit headless and slow to release. Wouldnt be surprised if McGarrity and McDonald will be on the bench for May 20th. Think O'mahony is putting up a few smoke screens in that regard.

mouview

Playing Matt Clancy would give me something to think about too, like will he score, will he pass it to a teammate, will he look up when he goes on a run with the ball etc. (Sorry, but, you know...)

MaroonAndWhite

I know, Mouview and Im not a big fan of Clancy either but the one thing that Donegal did that messed up the Mayo full back line was to put a mobile full forward in to pull Kilcullen all over the place and out of full back.....and he lasted 20 mins or so before he was subbed! And the one thing Clancy is is mobile......not the most intelligent alright but mobile! It would leave more space inside for Nicky & Mike. Padraig Joyce wouldnt have the legs to do that to Kilcullen anymore. Plus if he did pull out around the half forward line, it would clutter up that area and maybe allow less opportunity for Devenny and Gardiner to get forward. I just think that Mayo are faced with the same Galway full forward line every time they play us and they have us sussed out and its not worked for us the last couple of years.........a change is as good as a rest and all that!

OirthearMhaigheo

I agree Maradona, there are some crazy team selections going about. Hanley is not ready yet, David Kilcullen at corner back?? He was class for the U21s on Sat but at half back, what has Liam O'Malley done wrong anyway? Besides it's a bit early to be picking teams, we could have a couple of lads back for the Galway game that woudl change things around, though I seriously doubt McGarrity or McDonald will be among those.

rosnarun

another mad selection . assuming Mgarrity mcdonald not fit in which case they would swap with Mcnicholas and harte
I know the heaney/ nallen thing turned bad last sept but it was a hell of a lot better than last sundays debacle . maybe if we meet kerry full back may need to be rethought and hopefully Mcgarrity would be in the frame by then freeing brady to do a job on Stharr
                                                                1. K. O'Malley,
2.   L. O'Malley                                             3.d heaney                                  4. K. Higgins

5. BJP                                          6. J nallen                                7. P.Gardiner

8. D. Brady                   9. P. Harte                                                     

10.a Kilcoyne                                         11. andy moran                                                                    12. A. Dillon

14. T. Mortimer                           14.  t mortimer                                                               13. M Mcnicholas
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Redgreenery

I cant reay see a place for J Nallen on the starting team this year. Either D Clarke or K O Malley could go in goals and do a good job there, but I'd go with Clarke to start.
Clarke, L O Malley, J Kilcullen, K Higgins, E Deveeney, BJ Padden, P Gardiner, D Brady, D Heaney, T Mortimer, K O Neill, G Brady, C Mortimer, A Dillon, A Moran.

The forward line could have different positions and would not be 100% on Kilcullen or Deveeney starting.

Farrandeelin

Am I the only one who doesn't see the merit in picking teams this early? As for the game itself, I think it will be another tight tense encounter which will end up with having only 1 or 2 points between the teams again. Mayo didn't impress me in the league game against Galway but still won. I have to say that Mayo are in trouble at midfield, after all David Brady is only one person and if he changes thigs around, which I think he probably will if he rises to it it still won't be sufficient enough for later on in the year. Not going to make a prediction about the game yet but there'll be some build up to it. We will probably see Galway coming out all guns blazing and they will be hard beaten in Salthill, but I won't get too worried about the game just yet!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highking

My team is:

K. O'Malley
L. O'Malley
A. O'Malley
BJP O'Malley
Marty O'Malley
ect
ect

Lads for gods sake we can all throw names on paper and its 4 weeks to throw in. Anything can happen. Unless you were at a training and saw something or at a challenge match and have some hard facts, its hard to read this stuff. I come on here looking for informed info and all it seems to be is stabs in the dark.

rosnarun

Lads if at the end of a league campaign when weve seen the team 7 or eight time in a few months isnt a time to reflect and throw in you rtuppence worth then when is ?
it takes some counties years to get that many championship games . plus helps take our mind off the embarresment of losing to donegal
ive learned to pay no heed to Challange games as this are just golrified training sessions when management may be working on one facet of play and care very little for the result. So if you want to discuss team nows a great time if you dont look away for the next few weeks
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

K O'Malley

L O'Malley
Kilcullen
K Higgins

Devenney
BJP
Gardiner (I thought he was terrible against Donegal but he wins my vote here)

Brady (I assume he will be back)
Heaney

Dillon
Moran
Kilcoyne or Campbell

C Mortimer
T Mortimer (if fit) if not G Brady
O'Neill

That would be my team for Galway based on what I think. No doubt as maradona said thank God it's Johnno picking the team!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

nephinbeg

my team is

Clarke
Lo Malley
Kilcullen
Higgins

Dev
BJP
Howley

Heaney
Brady

Dillon
T Mort
Kilcoyne

Mort
Mcd
Moran

Gardiner to get the line unless he learns to defend - Typically Mayo to move Heaney to CHB even though playing top stuff in the miiddle , BJP has been good there all league though he was not great last sunday Id still keep him there,,, O NELL INSTEAD OF mORT, if he is playing up, Mcd will be ok its only rumour...  Nallen to replace Padden or Kilcullen if dodgy//

OdoSkimodo

Any word on how the Galway - Fermanagh challenge game went at the weekend?

Maradona

Many of ye leaving out Harte. Surely an error. In our top 3-4 players in my opinion