Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 4012129 times)

charlieTully

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #28665 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
Thanks

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #28666 on: September 24, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
Big win for Slaughtneil today, tough game for the winners of next Sunday's final

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #28667 on: September 25, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
anything of note from the ccc meeting last night ? ???

C'mon, enlighten us then. What were you expecting?

heard that the re-grading of underage was on the agenda. wondered how it panned out. think it will eventually apply Ireland wide though regardless of what counties decide themselves
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #28668 on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »

heard that the re-grading of underage was on the agenda. wondered how it panned out. think it will eventually apply Ireland wide though regardless of what counties decide themselves

Does that mean switching to the u-11,u-13,u-15,u17??

If that did come in does that mean those in last year of u-17 would be able to play Senior football?

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #28669 on: September 26, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »

If that did come in does that mean those in last year of u-17 would be able to play Senior football?

yeh. and no. if in last year of u17 you are still 16 going into that year. you must be 17 or over on 31st December going into the season you wish to play senior football

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #28670 on: September 26, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
The leagues are now coming  to an end and it's looking like this

Division 1 champions
Castlewellan
CPN
Mayobridge

Relegated
Glenn
Longstone

Division 2 promotion
Saval
Rostrevor
Carryduff

Relegated
Drumeness gone
Darragh cross
Shamrocks
Ballymartin
Annaclone

Division 3 promoted
Tullylish
Clana Banna

Relegated
St Paul's

Some big teams battling for relegation and paying big money to managers
What is the point???

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #28671 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »
The leagues are now coming  to an end and it's looking like this

Division 1 champions
Castlewellan
CPN
Mayobridge

Relegated
Glenn
Longstone

Division 2 promotion
Saval
Rostrevor
Carryduff

Relegated
Drumeness gone
Darragh cross
Shamrocks
Ballymartin
Annaclone

Division 3 promoted
Tullylish
Clana Banna

Relegated
St Paul's

Some big teams battling for relegation and paying big money to managers
What is the point???

Teconnaught also relegated from Div 3 - Dan Rice has left also

Ardglass and Dromara up from div 4

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #28672 on: September 26, 2017, 10:45:37 PM »

I think the underage structures are staying the same, from what I hear

Lecale Gael

• View Profile
« Reply #28673 on: September 27, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »

yes heard same. the right call. all change for 2019 though it seems.

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28674 on: September 27, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »

This has to be a national call rather than each county deciding individually what to do as there's far too many intercounty club competitions now with various county champions going forward to represent Down.
Who represents Down in the Paul McGirr U16 competition if Tyrone decide to stick with the even numbers and Down decide to go with the odd numbers? There's Feile's and so forth as well.

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #28675 on: September 27, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »

This has to be a national call rather than each county deciding individually what to do as there's far too many intercounty club competitions now with various county champions going forward to represent Down.
Who represents Down in the Paul McGirr U16 competition if Tyrone decide to stick with the even numbers and Down decide to go with the odd numbers? There's Feile's and so forth as well.

Agree , has to be national.
However several national decisions  recently have hit rural clubs hardest. I think minor club age group should be switched to u18.5 , ie in keeping with school year, so that clubs have a better chance of holding on to teenage players . If it switches to u17 it would be a disaster leading to massive drop out , as several 17 /18 year olds either aren't good enough or don't want to
Make their club senior team.

downjim

• View Profile
« Reply #28676 on: September 27, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »
Poor Joe Donnan got the wrath of Kilcoo today. Was I the only one that cringed at that statement on social media?

5 Sams

• View Profile
« Reply #28677 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »
Poor Joe Donnan got the wrath of Kilcoo today. Was I the only one that cringed at that statement on social media?

No you werent...Joe wasnt telling any lies. They have little to be doing 3 or 4 days before a championship final issuing a "statement" about an article which isnt far away to be honest.
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #28678 on: September 27, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Not sure why Kilcoo are so upset at someone highlighting that their goals are a tad loftier than winning the same cup 200 times in a row. If they weren’t loftier, that’s when every other club would have to wonder what the feck they’re at in the Down SFC.

6th Sam, oddly enough I’d have predicted things differently for rural / urban splits if the move to u17 happens. I’d have considered it a major advantage for smaller rural clubs to bring talented juveniles exclusively into senior football for a full year before they hit university, as it gives the club a chance to ingrains them in senior football. Whereas for larger clubs, it poses a problem in that they won’t have an immediate need to bring through anyone but the most talented of 17 year olds, so there’s a big chance of them spending that crucial “final year at home” in footballing limbo.

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #28679 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Not sure why Kilcoo are so upset at someone highlighting that their goals are a tad loftier than winning the same cup 200 times in a row. If they weren’t loftier, that’s when every other club would have to wonder what the feck they’re at in the Down SFC.

6th Sam, oddly enough I’d have predicted things differently for rural / urban splits if the move to u17 happens. I’d have considered it a major advantage for smaller rural clubs to bring talented juveniles exclusively into senior football for a full year before they hit university, as it gives the club a chance to ingrains them in senior football. Whereas for larger clubs, it poses a problem in that they won’t have an immediate need to bring through anyone but the most talented of 17 year olds, so there’s a big chance of them spending that crucial “final year at home” in footballing limbo.
the quality players are morwe likely to come thru to senior football anyway as they will tend to be best equipped, the disinterested are likely to drop off anyway, what concerns me is the silent majority-those in the middle not yet equipped for senior at 17, but who might stay involved for a further year, and hopefully develop , and be better equipped at 18/19.