Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 27, 2017, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: Targetman on September 26, 2017, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on September 26, 2017, 09:41:06 AM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 25, 2017, 08:05:23 PM
Quote from: Samforever on September 23, 2017, 06:19:36 AM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 22, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
anything of note from the ccc meeting last night ? ???

C'mon, enlighten us then. What were you expecting?

heard that the re-grading of underage was on the agenda. wondered how it panned out. think it will eventually apply Ireland wide though regardless of what counties decide themselves

Does that mean switching to the u-11,u-13,u-15,u17??

If that did come in does that mean those in last year of u-17 would be able to play Senior football?
I think the underage structures are staying the same, from what I hear

yes heard same. the right call. all change for 2019 though it seems.

This has to be a national call rather than each county deciding individually what to do as there's far too many intercounty club competitions now with various county champions going forward to represent Down.
Who represents Down in the Paul McGirr U16 competition if Tyrone decide to stick with the even numbers and Down decide to go with the odd numbers? There's Feile's and so forth as well.

6th sam

Quote from: johnneycool on September 27, 2017, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 27, 2017, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: Targetman on September 26, 2017, 10:45:37 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on September 26, 2017, 09:41:06 AM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 25, 2017, 08:05:23 PM
Quote from: Samforever on September 23, 2017, 06:19:36 AM
Quote from: Lecale Gael on September 22, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
anything of note from the ccc meeting last night ? ???

C'mon, enlighten us then. What were you expecting?

heard that the re-grading of underage was on the agenda. wondered how it panned out. think it will eventually apply Ireland wide though regardless of what counties decide themselves

Does that mean switching to the u-11,u-13,u-15,u17??

If that did come in does that mean those in last year of u-17 would be able to play Senior football?
I think the underage structures are staying the same, from what I hear

yes heard same. the right call. all change for 2019 though it seems.

This has to be a national call rather than each county deciding individually what to do as there's far too many intercounty club competitions now with various county champions going forward to represent Down.
Who represents Down in the Paul McGirr U16 competition if Tyrone decide to stick with the even numbers and Down decide to go with the odd numbers? There's Feile's and so forth as well.

Agree , has to be national.
However several national decisions  recently have hit rural clubs hardest. I think minor club age group should be switched to u18.5 , ie in keeping with school year, so that clubs have a better chance of holding on to teenage players . If it switches to u17 it would be a disaster leading to massive drop out , as several 17 /18 year olds either aren't good enough or don't want to
Make their club senior team.

downjim

Poor Joe Donnan got the wrath of Kilcoo today. Was I the only one that cringed at that statement on social media?

5 Sams

Quote from: downjim on September 27, 2017, 09:02:33 PM
Poor Joe Donnan got the wrath of Kilcoo today. Was I the only one that cringed at that statement on social media?

No you werent...Joe wasnt telling any lies. They have little to be doing 3 or 4 days before a championship final issuing a "statement" about an article which isnt far away to be honest.
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

Not sure why Kilcoo are so upset at someone highlighting that their goals are a tad loftier than winning the same cup 200 times in a row. If they weren't loftier, that's when every other club would have to wonder what the feck they're at in the Down SFC.

6th Sam, oddly enough I'd have predicted things differently for rural / urban splits if the move to u17 happens. I'd have considered it a major advantage for smaller rural clubs to bring talented juveniles exclusively into senior football for a full year before they hit university, as it gives the club a chance to ingrains them in senior football. Whereas for larger clubs, it poses a problem in that they won't have an immediate need to bring through anyone but the most talented of 17 year olds, so there's a big chance of them spending that crucial "final year at home" in footballing limbo.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 09:13:50 PM
Not sure why Kilcoo are so upset at someone highlighting that their goals are a tad loftier than winning the same cup 200 times in a row. If they weren't loftier, that's when every other club would have to wonder what the feck they're at in the Down SFC.

6th Sam, oddly enough I'd have predicted things differently for rural / urban splits if the move to u17 happens. I'd have considered it a major advantage for smaller rural clubs to bring talented juveniles exclusively into senior football for a full year before they hit university, as it gives the club a chance to ingrains them in senior football. Whereas for larger clubs, it poses a problem in that they won't have an immediate need to bring through anyone but the most talented of 17 year olds, so there's a big chance of them spending that crucial "final year at home" in footballing limbo.
the quality players are morwe likely to come thru to senior football anyway as they will tend to be best equipped, the disinterested are likely to drop off anyway, what concerns me is the silent majority-those in the middle not yet equipped for senior at 17, but who might stay involved for a further year, and hopefully develop , and be better equipped at 18/19.

Mourne Red

Pete McGrath ratified as new Louth manager

Champions elect

any idea on what is happening with u-21 football this year? is it changing to u-20 for club and county or is it only county and u21 staying for club?

RadioGAAGAA

No one would deny that everyone has a goal of winning Ulster.

However, there is not an assumption that the Down SFC is ours by default. Joe Donnan stating that may lead others to believe that Kilcoo consider other Down clubs to be beneath them. Not the case now, never has been and I'd trust never will be.

i usse an speelchekor

5 Sams

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 28, 2017, 09:37:53 PM

No one would deny that everyone has a goal of winning Ulster.

However, there is not an assumption that the Down SFC is ours by default. Joe Donnan stating that may lead others to believe that Kilcoo consider other Down clubs to be beneath them. Not the case now, never has been and I'd trust never will be.

Aye right ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Smurfy123

Anyone hear Frank Dawson got the sack from Ballymartin during the week?
Heard that last night anyone confirme?
What club team in Down will take him next year?

forevergreen

Joseph Donnan should be congratulated in reporting the truth. But he only wrote what most in the county already know. Kilcoo are a superb side, fully focussed on winning and they make no secret of the fact that they will all 'die in their boots for the cause'  5 in a row and heading for 6 is some achievement but no ,Ulster title obviously wrangles and is the obvious driver for coming back time and again.

No point denying they have eyes on Ulster when you've been seen watching Slaughtneil a few weeks back.

To say they respect their opponents fully at all times is stretching it but what they always do is prepare fully for each and every game like it's a final, whilst being prepared to go beyond the lines of respectability in order to achieve that goal.

The problem for Kilcoo is Joe has put what the Kilcoo supporters openly say and think in the paper and hence in some way they now think he is helping to motivate Burren.

If Burren need that as motivation God help them. The last 5 years should be enough!!

When the ball is threw in on Sunday what Joe has wrote will have no bearing. He won't catch, kick, block or score. He'll simply wait for his headline. Magpies fly into Ulster again or Burren shoot down Magpies.

Kilcoo shouldn't be asking Joe for an apology they should be gagging those who have given him the material to write either players talking on the field or the supporters in stand or street.

Kilcoo are aiming for Ulster....you heard it here first!!!!

BarryBreensBandage

Good luck to the Glenn lads in the South Down Minor championship final tomorrow.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

general

Quote from: forevergreen on September 29, 2017, 10:14:29 AM
Joseph Donnan should be congratulated in reporting the truth. But he only wrote what most in the county already know. Kilcoo are a superb side, fully focussed on winning and they make no secret of the fact that they will all 'die in their boots for the cause'  5 in a row and heading for 6 is some achievement but no ,Ulster title obviously wrangles and is the obvious driver for coming back time and again.

No point denying they have eyes on Ulster when you've been seen watching Slaughtneil a few weeks back.

To say they respect their opponents fully at all times is stretching it but what they always do is prepare fully for each and every game like it's a final, whilst being prepared to go beyond the lines of respectability in order to achieve that goal.

The problem for Kilcoo is Joe has put what the Kilcoo supporters openly say and think in the paper and hence in some way they now think he is helping to motivate Burren.

If Burren need that as motivation God help them. The last 5 years should be enough!!

When the ball is threw in on Sunday what Joe has wrote will have no bearing. He won't catch, kick, block or score. He'll simply wait for his headline. Magpies fly into Ulster again or Burren shoot down Magpies.

Kilcoo shouldn't be asking Joe for an apology they should be gagging those who have given him the material to write either players talking on the field or the supporters in stand or street.

Kilcoo are aiming for Ulster....you heard it here first!!!!

I'm 100% sure Joseph Donnan said it first...

downjim

Joe Donnan or supporters getting to the stand at 9am tomorrow won't have any bearing on the game tomorrow. It's a massive test for us,may the best team win.