Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

QuoteAny truth in the story Damien Mitchell is returning to his home county??

Spotted something to that effect on the Westmeath Hoganstand messageboard yesterday, but I wouldn't have given it much credence. However, this is in today's Irish Times:

QuoteMitchell set to team up with Longford

Gaelic Games Digest/WESTMEATH: One of the heroes of Westmeath's 2004 Leinster final triumph could be about to throw in his lot with neighbours Longford - and it could mean a clash with his former colleagues in next year's Leinster championship opener.

David Mitchell recently trained with Luke Dempsey's Longford and there is strong speculation he will be included in the panel for the National League.

Mitchell didn't line out with Westmeath in this year's championship. The news of his possible change of allegiance follows the departure of attacker PJ Ward to Offaly.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2006/1128/1164403615863.html

He's from Dempsey's own club (Rochfortbridge) and he's a full back, which was the one serious weak spot on the team last year. Having said that, I'm not any keener on inter-county transfers where we're the beneficiary than I am on Mr. Gallagher's switch of alleigance to our northern neighbours.

Update: This from the Indo

QuoteWestmeath ace to join Longford

DAVID MITCHELL, one of the heroes of Westmeath's historic 2004 Leinster final triumph, is set to join neighbours Longford.

Mitchell has been training with Longford who are managed by his former Westmeath boss Luke Dempsey.

Mitchell, who didn't line out for Westmeath in the 2006 championship, was born in Carrickedmond, Co Longford, and it is believed this could qualify him to play for Longford without having to leave his current club, St Mary's of Rochfortbridge.

If he opts for Longford, it could mean a dramatic clash with his former colleagues in the first round of next year's Leinster championship. The news of Mitchell's possible move follows the departure of attacker PJ Ward to Offaly.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=95&si=1731800&issue_id=14938

I await Billy's musings on this development...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Is Mitchell not a Carrickedmond man by birth?

neilthemac

is there an Under 21 hurling competition in Longford this year?

North Longford

Is Mitchell not a Carrickedmond man by birth?
I hope there is a strong link otherwise we are just doing a Cavan.
If he is originally from Longfrod then no problem........otherwise just no.

AN other

It's David Mitchell not Damien...
Dempsey trained Rochfortbridge before but it's not his club.
Mitchell seems to be past his best the last couple of years, and to be honest when i seen that same message on the hoganstand about him teaming up with dempsey i initially presumed it was in a coaching role, but I still wouldn't like to see him declaring for another county.

LaurelEye

QuoteI hope there is a strong link otherwise we are just doing a Cavan.
If he is originally from Longfrod then no problem........otherwise just no.

I still feel a bit dubious about it even if he is originally a Slieveen. As far as I'm concerned, once you have a club and county, you stick with them barring extraordinary circumstances.

Anyway...

NFL fixtures:

February 4th, 2.30:

Division 2A
Carlow v Clare
Leitrim v Offaly
Roscommon v Monaghan
Longford v London

February 11th, 2.30:

Division 2A
Offaly v Carlow
Clare v Leitrim
Monaghan v Longford
London v Roscommon

February 25th, 2.30:

Division 2A
Monaghan v Carlow
Roscommon v Clare
Longford v Offaly
London v Leitrim

March 11th, 2.30:

Division 2A
Longford v Leitrim
Clare v Monaghan
Offaly v London
Carlow v Roscommon

March 25th, 3.30:

Division 2A
Leitrim v Carlow
Offaly v Clare
London v Monaghan
Roscommon v Longford

April 1st, 3.30:

Division 2A
Monaghan v Offaly
Roscommon v Leitrim
Clare v London
Carlow v Longford

April 8th, 3.30:

Division 2A
London v Carlow
Longford v Clare
Leitrim v Monaghan
Offaly v Roscommon
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

HOORAY

Four home games for Skelly. Hopefully we won't see a whinge from him in 2007.

Croí na hÉireann

Surprised Mitch is joining up with the Slashers. I know he had a big falling out with O'Flaherta and burnt his bridges but for a man who gave so many years to the maroon jersey, lived most of his life in Rochfortbridge (and just built a house there) and gave a standing ovation to the first footballing All Star awarded to a Westmeath man I find it a very strange decision.

I can only fathom that its Dempsey that has encroached him across (prob for the full back spot) but how will the rest of the team feel about a fella being parachuted in??? I also got the impression that Mitch was one of the players who wanted a change of management after 2003 so its strange to see him throw in his lot with Dempsey now.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

If Mitchell was born in Carrickedmond, he should always have played with Longford.  What's he coming 'home' for now?  Our last experiment at 'buying' a fullback didn't work, so I can't see the logic in this either - and we shouldn't be stooping to the level of Cork/Kildare.   :P

Four home games in the League - five wins should take us up, or do we just have to stay in top four to qualify for the new D3?  Monaghan away is winnable - if we get a neutral ref this time.  Points will be hard to come by in Roscommon, but we should take points in Carlow.  Biffos will be hard beaten even in Longford.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

QuoteIf Mitchell was born in Carrickedmond, he should always have played with Longford.  What's he coming 'home' for now?  Our last experiment at 'buying' a fullback didn't work, so I can't see the logic in this either - and we shouldn't be stooping to the level of Cork/Kildare.  :P

We'll be charitable and assume that he was a wise man and fled Carrickedmond at an early age before he got eaten without salt ;)

QuoteFour home games in the League - five wins should take us up, or do we just have to stay in top four to qualify for the new D3?

Top 2 would put us in next year's Division 2, third or fourth place would put us in Division 3, anything lower and it would be the new Division 4 and the Cooper Cup to boot. Not taking anything for granted at this stage.

Billys Boots

I didn't think they were eating their own young in Carrickedmond these days - I thought they feasted on the youth of Moydow and Legan.

LaurelEye

Longford Team of the Championship

Damien Sheridan (Dromard);
Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Dónal Ledwith (Abbeylara), Dermot O'Reilly (Abbeylara);
Declan Reilly (Colmcille); James McEntire (Abbeylara), Enda Ledwith (Abbeylara);
Arthur O'Connor (Abbeylara), Liam Keenan (Ardagh);
Padraig Berry (Abbeylara), Paul Barden (Clonguish), Jamesie Martin (Dromard);
Stephen Phillips (Longford Slashers), Niall Sheridan (Abbeylara), Brian Kavanagh (Ardagh).

Senior Player of the Year nominees:

Niall Sheridan (Abbeylara)
Paul Barden (Clonguish)
Enda Ledwith (Abbeylara)

Intermediate Player of the Year nominees:

Brian Kavanagh (Ardagh)
Liam Keenan (Ardagh)
Donal McElligott (Mullinalaghta)

Junior Player of the Year nominees:

Michael Gibson (Longford Slashers)
Barry Keegan (Forgney)
Tom Prunty (Moydow Harpers)

Ladies Player of the Year nominees:

Sharon Treacy (Killoe)
Yvonne Barden (Clonguish)
Marie Carrigy (Killoe)

Hurling Player of the Year nominees:

Brendan Burke (Clonguish)
Martin Coyle (Wolfe Tones/Mostrim)
Gareth Ghee (Longford Slashers)

Billys Boots

Glad to see we got one 'prize' this year.   ::)  I hear only 4 players turned up at the AGM - it's going from bad to worse.  Ardagh reckoned we were the worst team they'd played (anywhere) in five years.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys BootsGlad to see we got one 'prize' this year. Roll Eyes

He seems to have been selected in the position he played for on the county rather than for the club. At least we got a nomination for Player of the Year ahead of anyone from the losing county finalists.

QuoteI hear only 4 players turned up at the AGM - it's going from bad to worse.  Ardagh reckoned we were the worst team they'd played (anywhere) in five years.

Ah now, yis are just being hard on yourselves. Yis are hardly worse than Kenagh.

Any sign of a new trainer yet?

Billys Boots

Declan appears to have been selected at left half back - he never played there for the county, and he plays midfield or centre forward for the club.  I s'pose the main consolation is that it could have gone to the guy who plays LHB for the county.   :P

QuoteAny sign of a new trainer yet?

Eh no, but maybe North Longford has something to say on this front.