FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

It may be defeatist but I'm certain our chances of getting to Russia are  completely shot now. As Shark points out our group is likely to have lowest points total.

AFS

Quote from: shark on September 04, 2017, 09:13:55 PM
Took a good look there at all the groups and what games the teams in contention for 2nd have remaining. Absolutely convinced that Ireland need a minimum of 7 points from remaining 3 games. 5 points could get 2nd, if we hammer Moldova or Wales lose points in Georgia. But it will only lead to 18 points which will be the lowest 2nd place total.

It's more complicated than that. Results against the bottom placed team don't count. As it's difficult to both predict who will finish second and who will finish bottom in several groups, you can't say with much certainty what the required points total will end up. That said, anything less than 7 points will probably leave it very tight. Those two lost points in Georgia were more costly than has been made out. That draw was as damaging to our prospects as a defeat.

Jell 0 Biafra

It's quite tricky.  Games against last place teams don't count.  But for some of the groups, last placed teams may change between now and the end of the groups.  That could result in big point swings for second placed teams in some of the groups.

Keep an eye on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 05, 2017, 01:39:17 AM
It's quite tricky.  Games against last place teams don't count.  But for some of the groups, last placed teams may change between now and the end of the groups.  That could result in big point swings for second placed teams in some of the groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

It's a good idea to remove the likes of San Marino and Malta from the calculation.

In Rugby's Champions Cup, the group with Treviso or Zebre nearly always gets a best runners-up spot.

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 04, 2017, 06:41:43 PM
Davis and Evans yeah, but who else would make the ROI team. The rest of the team are not as strong as ROI and yet they are playing better stuff.
I dont expect  ireland to play nice football but decent stuff isnt beyond tbe realms pf possibility. I watched Burnley v Chelsea and Spurs with a large helping of Irish lads. Despite the massive gulf in class they actually passed the ball at times.
Even if you go back to front quickly like Burnley the ball should resemble a pass and not a panicked lash it away.
Harry Arter may not pick a killer pass but he gas good passing skills and he stands up v well for his club. Then he gets slated for Ireland who kick it into the clouds.
Hoolohan woukd gave nade no difference if the ball from deep was like that either. It gas to something they are told to do.
The players are not great but they are not shite. I am not asking for FIFA 2017 stuff but just sonething that doesnt have lads terrorized by a pass.

Are you serious CS.  Do you think the north would swap any of their team for the dung that's turning out for the south??
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

An Watcher

Need a MON special tonight similar to the Germany game or Celtic away at Anfield.
Bit nervous however I'm trying to be positive.
I think Serbia could struggle with the aerial presence of Duffy and Murphy.
Need a big game from Clark as well on his club mate.

omagh_gael

If the players have any balls about them they'll put in a performance that we haven't seen in a long. long time. They should be hurting and embarrassed and MON and RK need to sort the system of play out and instill a bit of fire in the bellies.

I'll try and stay positive and go for a 1-0 win for ROI with the goal coming in the last quarter.

illdecide

Ireland actually need to win so bad tonight, look at the groups and Ireland's group is one of the worst for points for the 2nd place play off, they could finish 2nd and lose out as from the 9 groups it's the best 8 runner ups.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 05, 2017, 05:06:15 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 05, 2017, 01:39:17 AM

It's a good idea to remove the likes of San Marino and Malta from the calculation.

I disagree..these teams are either in the competition and treated like everyone else, or they should have a pre-qualifying tournament / playoff system to gain entry into Euro / World Cup groups.

Syferus

What's even the point of having them in if they don't even count?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2017, 02:04:24 PM

Is it not because every draw there is one group with one fewer team. To be honest prequalifying is the way forward and i personally think there should be world qualifying so the actual best teams make it to the world cup and not a whole load of shite teams something thats only going to get worse
when we have 40 teams with most of the extra spots going to asia africa and central america

Esmarelda

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 05, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2017, 02:04:24 PM

Is it not because every draw there is one group with one fewer team. To be honest prequalifying is the way forward and i personally think there should be world qualifying so the actual best teams make it to the world cup and not a whole load of shite teams something thats only going to get worse
when we have 40 teams with most of the extra spots going to asia africa and central america
There should be a back door system. It's the only way to get the weaker teams to the latter stages and surely that's the point of the whole thing.

Captain Scarlet

In terms of the game tonight I see more analysis of midfield with one article using clips of Keane v Arsenal to show how he always showed for the defence. that is all well and good, ignoring the fact that we don't have anyone near his level now, but if Fergie told the lads at the back to get it up top ASAP he would be just anonymous.
That is the thing that seems to be ignored, if Whelan, Arter and Brady were ignoring MON's instructions surely they would have been called over within 15 mins for a bollocking...
That would imply the lads were doing mostly what they were told.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Jim Beglin doing the preview there on RTE News at 6 which (more than likely) means that he will be doing co-commentary tonight instead of Ronnie Whelan. Thanks be to God! Bad enough Ireland play shite, but Ronnie is such a moaner!

Shamrock Shore