Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

stew

No suggestion that Celtic wont win the league the year from any credible source, I would say Aberdeen will beat Celtic on Wednesday night and throw the title race wide open.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

illdecide

Quote from: stew on October 22, 2017, 12:10:32 PM
No suggestion that Celtic wont win the league the year from any credible source, I would say Aberdeen will beat Celtic on Wednesday night and throw the title race wide open.

I would say you're talking dung Stew ;)...not a bit of it
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Targetman

The bhoys will be well up for whatever Aberdeen throw at them, Celtic to win 3-1, can't see us keeping a clean sheet

stew

Quote from: illdecide on October 22, 2017, 06:52:54 PM

I would say you're talking dung Stew ;)...not a bit of it

Well I am not long out of the Harps club and may well be talking dung, but Celtic are playing at a season low level and Aberdeen are fresh and are at home, I would play Dembele and rest Griffiths but that's me, this is the hardest game of the year so far however in Rodgers I trust, we will see, right now I would take a draw.

under the bar

Put the crack pipe down mate.  Otherwise open a betfair account and I'll take your odds....

T Fearon

A genuine league challenge should be welcomed and would be better for Celtic generally.Last year was an achievement of sorts remaining unbeatable domestically,but this will not last forever.I think the longer it continues it will heap needless pressure on the players to the detriment of European showings.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on October 22, 2017, 11:09:23 PM
A genuine league challenge should be welcomed and would be better for Celtic generally.Last year was an achievement of sorts remaining unbeatable domestically,but this will not last forever.I think the longer it continues it will heap needless pressure on the players to the detriment of European showings.
It would be nice to take the unbeaten run to 100 though
Careful now

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on October 22, 2017, 11:09:23 PM

Bollocks Tony, drive domestic dominance down their throats, win ten in a row and go for eleven, these lads are professionals, they will need to win games they are poor in, its what good teams do, they will be fine, they will win ten in a row but as of right now they are not playing the best, Wednesdy will be a tough test, I see the streak ending, hope not but will be tight.

T Fearon

Yes,by all means maintain domestic  dominance,but do not focus too much on remaining unbeaten in every game.Its bound to heap unnecessary pressure on the players,particularly when it looks like the European season is going to be a lot longer this year.If Aberdeen win on Wednesday night,that will exert pressure mainly on Rangers,and further highlight their failings.It will not stop Celtic from winning the league ultimately

under the bar

Going for 10 in a row while remains unbeaten until then should be the real target!

T Fearon

Ten in a row doable,mainly as there is no realistic opposition.Even at that,doing so unbeaten is impossible.

theyellowbus

I agree 100% with Tony a sustained title challenge from Aberdeen or a Hibs,hearts etc is only healthy for the club.
I have been a follower of Scottish soccer for a long few years and bar the 80,s and early nineties Scottish soccer has taken a nose ward dive in terms of the quality of players that are playing with big clubs outside of Glasgow.
Clubs like Aberdeen,Dundee Utd,Motherwell,Hibs and Hearts from 1995 up until 2010 were basically just existing on scraps from the SFA table as the big two went hammer and tongs at sweeping up whatever money was available.
The best thing that ever happened these clubs especially Dundee Utd,Hibs and Hearts was the fact they got relegated and are now working towards blueprints of making the most of all assets they have and trying to maximise their potential.
Aberdeen are a club that are making small strides every year to becoming a dominant force in Scottish soccer in the next 10/15 year.
What i mean by dominant is not winning leagues and trebles although Im sure their hierarchy have definitely pencilled in winning one league over the the next few years dominance to them is winning a cup every year, being in a title race come April/May and trying to increase their support base and improve the quality of players at the club.
They have massive plans in the pipeline at the moment for a big new Stadium development.
Scottish soccer in my mind never lost its soul even in the barren years of 95-2012 when an odd cup was won here or there by a club outside the big two and bar Hearts one year making a fist of a title race which ultimately bankrupt them players playing for these clubs were willing to entertain their supporters week in week out and showed that on the pitch.
While the history books will show the dominance from Celtic and Rangers people don't realise that almost every decade of the last century clubs outside the big two had periods of dominance as well where they won leagues and cups.
I sat down yesterday and watched the cup semi final over the Everton Aresnal game and while the quality was possibly not top drawer the conviction and desire was evident.
i watched MOTD last night and bar the Everton goalie and a few of the younger lads there was no real desire shown in the game from either side granted the quality was good but some of these lads had multiples of tens of thousands in their back pocket they weren't going to burst a gut.
I find it very hard to watch some of the English premiership games over the last few years as its too manufactured anymore and its lost its edge in my opinion.
The current EPL will collapse in its current state that's a given in my opinion as something like that cant keep going without some form of implosion.
The simple economics of it alone will dictate that.

illdecide

I have been saying that for a few years, the EPL is not as good as people think it is. The MOTD on a Sat night makes it look good (as does all highlights) but watch a live game and it's not good. I also agree that money has ruined the EPL, young players have got it too easy and earn stupid money which does take the edge of them. I agree Scottish football is of a lesser level but at least you get 100% commitment and hunger and desire from the players.

The day SKY or BT Sports pulls the pin on the TV money there will be some clubs going to the wall, bar Sevco the rest of Scottish clubs spent within their means and are surviving on a shoe string budget. English National team have regressed and so has the EPL clubs playing in the CL, Scottish football has bottomed out and I believe will improve over the next decade.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theyellowbus

Quote from: illdecide on October 23, 2017, 11:58:26 AM
I have been saying that for a few years, the EPL is not as good as people think it is. The MOTD on a Sat night makes it look good (as does all highlights) but watch a live game and it's not good. I also agree that money has ruined the EPL, young players have got it too easy and earn stupid money which does take the edge of them. I agree Scottish football is of a lesser level but at least you get 100% commitment and hunger and desire from the players.

The day SKY or BT Sports pulls the pin on the TV money there will be some clubs going to the wall, bar Sevco the rest of Scottish clubs spent within their means and are surviving on a shoe string budget. English National team have regressed and so has the EPL clubs playing in the CL, Scottish football has bottomed out and I believe will improve over the next decade.
In my opinion it already has illdecide and the demise of Rangers was somewhat of a catalyst in this as well as clubs starting to run within their means and maximising potential.It gave clubs like the Aberdeen's Dundee's and Edinburgh clubs the chance to fill a void and compete with a traditional powerhouse and they have in spades in my opinion.
Even the crowds attending non old firm games are increasing year on year.
This might sound like after talk but if you had given me 100 hundred euro yesterday and put a gun to my head and said Motherwell or Rangers id have said Motherwell all day long and i guarantee you the motherwell management were very confident going into that game yesterday.

Over the Bar

Quote from: T Fearon on October 23, 2017, 10:10:00 AM
Ten in a row doable,mainly as there is no realistic opposition.Even at that,doing so unbeaten is impossible.

Very difficult but not impossible.